Shuttle PC not starting

rich657

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Hello,

I have just bought two Shuttle XS36V to use as kiosks for a museum. After adding RAM and HDD I switched on but get nothing. The light comes on but I get no signal to the monitor. These PCs are ready made and you only have to add the two bits of hardware above. I am not a hardware type I'm afraid. Any guesses would be helpful. Thanks.

rich657

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Sorry to sound dumb but can I boot without any RAM? the RAM was Mushkin 2GB PC3-10666 SODIMM if that helps. Thanks for getting back. My job isn't on the line but it don't look good ho ho

rich657

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Oh, and when I first got them I didn't realise they had no RAM or HD and tried to start them and nothing happened then either (no POST)

rich657

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Unfortunately not, I did request advice before purchasing the memory and this was the one he recommended. I'll try starting one up without the memory in place and see what happens, the problem is if I don't get a connection to the screen I don't know how I'll see if anything is happening. Thanks again.

rich657

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
I took the memory out and plugged it in. The light still comes on when I switch on but still no beep. However I no longer have the screen plugged in (working on too many projects at once!) so I don't know if anything has loaded up.

Yotta24

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Did you end up resolving this issue?

I am having the exact same problem, hitting the power button puts on the power light (but no HDD lights), no video feed on VGA or DVI, using HDMI the TV recognises there is a device connected when its switched on but only displays "No signal"

I have tried all possible combinations of HDD (in/out) and RAM (2 Sticks (in either order), 1 stick (tried either in both slots), 0 sticks) all with the same result

Without so much as a post, beep or flash code, there's not even a system fan to let you know its trying to start, I've fast run out of ideas of what to try next, the manual is next to useless (doesn't even seem to have an option to reset the bios which would be my usual next thing to try)

The RAM used is not on the support list, but its a reputable brand and there's no real reason I can see for it not to be supported:
- Corsair CMSO2GX3M1A1333C9 2GB PC-10600 (1333MHz)

_makro_

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Hi guys,
I had same problems (using same Corsair 2GB RAM). I solved issue with changed memory slot. When I put RAM into lower slot didn't start, but when I move it to upper, it starts :)
Hope that will help :)

Yotta24

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Yeah, my problem ended up being the RAM, swapped brands and it worked fine. The Corsair is working fine in a different Shuttle so it was just that particular combination that didn't work.