Sign in with
Your question

Un-fixable annoying display issue.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 12, 2012 12:15:28 PM

Hi,

Something has happened to my PC and it is annoying me to the point were I want to kill my computer or TV. Seems to

System:-

i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz

6GB Ram

Samsung 830 SSD hard drive

HD5870 x2 (xfire)

Clean install of windows 7 64bit with all updates, all drivers current. (No beta drivers)

Ok so my PC was fine but suddenly acts very slow under certain circumstances. I have a 27 inch monitor connected via DVI and a 50inch plasma connect by HDMI cable.

When I switch on PC everything is fine, when I open Google Chrome it is fine, if I drag google chrome over to TV screen it freezes half way across the screens then becomes ultra slow and unresponsive. After that even if I close it and open a new browser window it remains very slow.

Example:-

I open a new tab and nothing happens for 7 seconds then a new tab opens. I click back to this tab and start typing here again and the cursor is just stuck, not blinking then all of a sudden five words I typed appear in one go.

ALSO, VLC player does the same. It is fine unless I drag it over to the tv screen. The second its frame touches the tv screen it becomes jerky and all content either 20GB .mkv files or 500MB tv shows are choppy and un-watch able.

I have also just tried Internet Exlporer (64bit) and it is also jerky and unresponsive.

What on earth is happening.
September 12, 2012 12:43:05 PM

Check task manager and see what is running high cpu%
September 12, 2012 12:53:27 PM

I would say its a driver issue. just because they are all new and up to date does not mean you have the best possible drivers for your set up. Sometimes older GPU's are better of left on drivers they actually work with. ;)  I would certainly try older drivers.

Is this a it used to work and now it dosent issue ?

If so what has changed ?
Simple process of elimination to find what happened or changed.

Mactronix :) 
Related resources
September 12, 2012 12:55:12 PM

mactronix said:
I would say its a driver issue. just because they are all new and up to date does not mean you have the best possible drivers for your set up. Sometimes older GPU's are better of left on drivers they actually work with. ;)  I would certainly try older drivers.

Is this a it used to work and now it dosent issue ?

If so what has changed ?
Simple process of elimination to find what happened or changed.

It used to work, The only things I can remember changing were adding PowerDVD 11 (just deleted) and Deamon Tools Pro Demo. Gonna delete that now and report back.
September 12, 2012 12:55:26 PM

rgd1101 said:
Check task manager and see what is running high cpu%

Nothing, CPU usage is never above 14%, usually much lower, only about 1-2% when browsing. Also no more then 40% of the RAM is ever being used. It's baffling me.

I think it started happening around the same time I installed powerDVD 11. I just un-installed it and rebooted and problem still persists. I was browsing then grabbed the browser and shifted it about half way over to the TV screen and back and it has become laggy and slow again. Why is the TV causing this to happen?
September 12, 2012 1:05:03 PM

I un-installed Deamon tools and also Spybot. It made no difference. I shall now try uninstalling VLC player and getting previous graphics card driver as well.
September 12, 2012 1:28:18 PM

Also try disabling the TV as a second monitor before you uninstall and reinstall your drivers.
Empty the recycle bin and reboot before installing the new drivers as well.

Also just check it all works fine before jumping in and re enabling the TV as a second monitor.

September 12, 2012 1:40:41 PM

Hi,

Thank you for your help so far. I have re-installed the graphics card drivers to the previous ones and re-installed VLC player. Google Chrome seems more normal now so already some good progress!!! Still not as quick as it was though.

VLC is still juddery. It plays fine on the monitor but juddery on the TV. If I put it in window mode and drag it across then I get problems. As soon as any of the VLC player window touches the TV screen then the whole thing goes jerky.

I pressed info on my TV button and it says 'EC/HDMI1 1080p 24Hz input'.

I think this is wrong and I'm pretty sure it used to say iether 50Hz or 60Hz input, Not sure what has changed or how to fix it. Its a Panasonic TXP50ST50B Plasma TV.
September 12, 2012 1:48:16 PM

I believe there is a force detection tab for TV in the display settings or HDTV support. Take a look in there just to see if the TV is set wrong in the drivers ?

You have" common display tasks " where you can get the drivers to detect displays to try and update what displays are what.
Then " my digital flat panels" for the advanced support options.

September 12, 2012 1:57:35 PM

Ok,

Looking in Common Display tasks and it shows Panasonic-TV DTV, HDMI™, Extended.

I think that's correct although not sure what the DTV bit means.

Checking other stuff now as there are lots of options.

September 12, 2012 2:02:26 PM

YOU are a freeking GENIUS!

Fixed it, here is what I did:-

Went to 'my digital flat panels' as you said, then 'HDTV support', then there are 2 boxes with option inside of them.

I ignored the top box and went to the bottom box, at the bottom of the options there was '1080p60 standard (1920 x 1080 @60Hz)' I chose this and everything is working great!!!

Now there is also a '1080p50 standard (1920 x 1080 @50Hz)' option there too, will it break my TV by being at the wrong Hz? Not sure if you choose 50 or 60.
September 12, 2012 2:10:23 PM

If the TV can display 60Hz then it will be fine.
You usually get signal out of range if you try and set an unsupported Hz. I think if you look at it again isn't the 50 Hz Pal and the 60 NTSC ?
If its working ok I would leave it as is personally. Plasma Tv's support up to stupid Hz 60 should be no problem.
Just to set your mind at ease you could check on the makers website but I don't think there is a thing to worry about.

Glad to have been able to help you.

September 12, 2012 2:15:49 PM

Just to add, the point of change that I think created the issue in the 1st place was when I used Cyberlink PowerDVD 11 Ultra. It was able to play 3d bluray (ISOs) to my TV but it seems to have messed with the settings to do so. Once I finished watching the 3D blu ray (ISO) it did not switch the settings back and left the TV in 'EC/HDMI1 1080p 24Hz input' rather then 'EC/HDMI1 1080p 60Hz input'.

It seems fine at 60Hz so leaving it on that. I have read that it can go to 120Hz for 3D stuff so 60Hz will be fine for 2D.

Again thank you, been pulling my hair out for a few days now wish I asked here 1st!! :) 
September 15, 2012 5:39:26 PM

Ok,

Tonight was the 1st night I've had a chance to sit down and actually watch a film and there is still a problem....

Watching an .mkv (I ripped most my blu rays to my pc as the sound comes out my pc) I notice a line that moves down the screen. Best way I can describe it is as a 'refresh' line that runs from left to right (or right to left) and moves from the top of the screen all the way to the bottom of the screen. Any ideas what it could be?

I tried 3 movies and it happens in them all, it never used to happen. If I play the movie on my monitor it is fine. So something to do with the TV again or the way my 5870 is outputting the signal to the tv possibly.
September 15, 2012 6:07:49 PM

Quick update, I went in to CCC and I switched off 'Enable PU Scaling' and 'Enable ITC processing' and switched 'Display Detection Option' on. One or all of these seems to have fixed it after a reboot.
!