Sign in with
Your question

First desktop: Good for the price?

Last response: in Systems
November 8, 2012 1:18:36 PM

Hello, Tom's Hardware.
I'm typing this out on a HP Pavilion dv7 laptop 3010so (which is crap).
I'm very interested in buying a new pc, a desktop, because I know it will have more power for a lower price + it should be upgradeable, instead of having to buy a brand new one.

This is the one I'm looking at (I'm not interested in building one myself. The contractor is in Denmark, and they make the pc's themselves, so no second party is involved):
http://www.mm-vision.dk/produkter/vispcsystem.asp?actio...
The link is in danish, so I'll write down the things I think are important:
Price + Windows 7 Home Premium = 6694 DKK or 1143$.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
CPU: i5-3570 4*3,40 GHz (turbo 3,8 GHz)
Ram: Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600
Harddrive (?): Seagate 1000 GB SATA3 6GB/s (7200rpm)
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX660 2GB DDR5
Powersupply: Raidmax RX-600AF
CD/DVD-drive: 22x.

If needed be, I can (it'll cost, of course): double the RAM, get 1 or 2 TB more harddrive, a GTX670.

I use my pc for school work, surfing the web and having a bajillion tabs open (not kidding), movies, light gaming which will probably become some more serious gaming.
The only questions I can think of, are:
1) Is that a good set-up for the price? Considering I'm not willing to build it myself + live in Denmark.
2) (How should I work this) How easy will it be to upgrade parts? And how "long" can I go without needing to upgrade it (I know there is no definitive answer here :p )

More about : desktop good price

November 8, 2012 2:45:33 PM

For what it is, its not too bad price wise. You could do MUCH better if you built it yourself.

As far as upgrading, you would probably add an SDD within the next year or immediately. (this would be covered in the price if you built your own)

Its a decent build. The motherboard is a bit on the cheap side and won't allow for overclocking if you ever upgraded to a "K" series processor in the future.

The processor will be good for a few years, and the GPU should last 2ish years before it will struggle with newer games on medium/high settings.

All in all, for it being a preubuilt, its not too bad. I will stress that you could do WAY better for the same or less money if you build your own.
November 8, 2012 5:16:15 PM

tiny voices said:
For what it is, its not too bad price wise. You could do MUCH better if you built it yourself.

As far as upgrading, you would probably add an SDD within the next year or immediately. (this would be covered in the price if you built your own)

Its a decent build. The motherboard is a bit on the cheap side and won't allow for overclocking if you ever upgraded to a "K" series processor in the future.

The processor will be good for a few years, and the GPU should last 2ish years before it will struggle with newer games on medium/high settings.

All in all, for it being a preubuilt, its not too bad. I will stress that you could do WAY better for the same or less money if you build your own.

I have the option of upgrading to a Gigabyte Z77-DS3H motherboard for 50$, would that make any significant changes? Considering the added price
November 8, 2012 5:23:45 PM

Not really. It would let you overclock if you upgraded processors which most likely you wouldn't do. So, no, don't waste the money.
!