HP dv7-4179nr Switchable Graphics Driver-Help!

Yoshi2112

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Hello,
I've been searching for an answer for this for weeks. It's all up to you fellow techie friends! I have two HP dv7-4179nr laptops. They both have ATI switchable graphics. The cards are Both AMD, not AMD&Intel. One is the AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 and the other is the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470. As with most laptop manufacturers, HP hasn't bothered to put out a new driver set for these in almost 2 years. I am running into a "blue boxes" graphics issue running Guild Wars 2 and need a new driver to fix it (the stand-alone 5470 has the same issue and it is fixed with the newest driver).
My problem is that even if I could force an update, the driver tells me it's incompatible and won't install. Normally a would go into the Bios and turn off switchable graphics but my bios doesn't have the option. Every other model has had a bios fix to address the issue except, of course, for mine.
So..I am wondering if anyone knows of either a fix for the "blue boxes" issue, knows of a modified driver for my cards, or has another work around so that these $1000 laptops don't become glorified paper weights.
I attempted to use Leshcat's AMD/Intel driver set but it caused me to have to do a system restore to load windows. I also tried the bios update for the newer model dv7 laptops but it wouldn't install. I've officially run out of ideas. Any new ones would be awesome!
I also would consider a video card upgrade but I'm not entirely sure if these are both integrated or not. Is that possible?
Thanks in advance!

Hoody_8

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

No "experts" seem to have any answers or solutions, As you can see nobody has posted.

Only AMD will be able to fix this issue as they came up with this bright idea. As for those Leashcat drivers, I guess he tries to fill a nitch, but to even get them to work you have to mix and match old ones with new ones, and its more of a mess than needed.

Try reading about this mess here, maybe AMD will get it together and regain its name.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6243?showAllComments=False&cPage=19