Sign in with
Your question

NOC Wall Build 18 Displays

Last response: in Systems
November 8, 2012 1:37:33 PM

Hello Everyone!

I am in need of help. I currently have the following setup.

I have 4 computers all the same.
HP Elite Workstations
i7 - 2600
8GB Ram
2 x Fire Pro 2450 (4 displays each)
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

3 System are splitting 12 screens
1 system is for 6 screens

My goal is to have all 18 Screens on 1 computer.

The NOC wall is
2 Displays High
9 Displays Wide

All 18 Displays are 55" LED HDTVs

I am thinking I will have to build a System from scratch since the HP computers have a case that doesn't work well with other products.
I used the above systems since we have extras in our inventory.

I tried to configure a workstation but I keep coming up short on displays.

My budget is not high enough to get eyefinity 6 video cards.... i don't think.

I have a budget for this setup at $2k without software just hardware. I don't care what OS since we have all available on hand currently.

Have any of you done this type of setup?

I see that there is a company that does but trying to get the exact hardware specs has been difficult.

Thank you all for you help!
November 8, 2012 2:41:39 PM

look into matrox cards. they have multiple cards that handel 4 to 8 monitors per card and can stack multiple cards in a system. you could get away with a cheaper system if you reuse one of the workstations cpu, ram, harddrive, and maybe powersupply. just getting a new case and motherboard with the right slots and matrox cards could net you the 16 outputs that you need and still be in budget.

Also what are you using it for? What are you displaying on all the screens?
November 8, 2012 8:14:11 PM

thats awesome. O.O try to watch movies on that noc wall. LOL
Related resources
November 8, 2012 8:25:04 PM

why exactly do you want to run it all on one machine?

Technically speaking, I wonder if you could buy 3 Radeon 5870 Eyefinity Editions which each have 6 DisplayPorts. That would provide 18 lines to screens and there's probably enough compute power here to actually run full motion video at 1080p on each screen. I don't exactly know if that would work though.

another way you could do it is with DisplayLink USB to DVI/HDMI adapters. I know it says there's a limit of 6 but we've run 8 through a powered USB hub and a MacBook Pro.
November 9, 2012 11:13:03 AM

bangpc said:
thats awesome. O.O try to watch movies on that noc wall. LOL

I put netflix on 4 screens (2x2) for my coworkers.... also put up a fish aquarium on all of them at once.

November 9, 2012 11:23:16 AM

why exactly do you want to run it all on one machine? Monitoring all our clients ASAs, ISPs, and Servers. We also monitor bandwidth, traffic and our MPLS.

Technically speaking, I wonder if you could buy 3 Radeon 5870 Eyefinity Editions which each have 6 DisplayPorts. That would provide 18 lines to screens and there's probably enough compute power here to actually run full motion video at 1080p on each screen. I don't exactly know if that would work though.
I have found a few of these 5870 online but they only look to have 4 outputs on them.

another way you could do it is with DisplayLink USB to DVI/HDMI adapters. I know it says there's a limit of 6 but we've run 8 through a powered USB hub and a MacBook Pro.
I did use some of these but after 1-3months they failed and plus they freeze up all the time.

Thank you so much for the suggestions thus far!
November 9, 2012 11:38:15 AM

faalin said:
look into matrox cards. they have multiple cards that handel 4 to 8 monitors per card and can stack multiple cards in a system. you could get away with a cheaper system if you reuse one of the workstations cpu, ram, harddrive, and maybe powersupply. just getting a new case and motherboard with the right slots and matrox cards could net you the 16 outputs that you need and still be in budget.

Also what are you using it for? What are you displaying on all the screens?

The Matrox cards are great the problem with them is the overall cost for them... 1 octal gpu can be from $1.5k and up and I would need 3 or more.
November 9, 2012 1:38:03 PM

matrox has the m9140 card that does 4 monitors each. 4 of them will do your 16 displays, but you would need to upgrade the motherboard to have 4 pci-e x16 slots.

cheapest i found for the 4 cards and motherborad was around $2,220 I'm sure you could shop around and find a better deal, mine was a real quick search.

Depending on what case and powersupply hp use that might be the cheapest way as the matrox card dont use any external power plugs
November 9, 2012 6:34:53 PM

christiangordon said:
The Matrox cards are great the problem with them is the overall cost for them... 1 octal gpu can be from $1.5k and up and I would need 3 or more.

Ouch. Maybe try the cheaper Sapphire Flex card or the new Radeon 7990 - should be able to handle up to six displays per card with DP enabled.
November 9, 2012 8:56:10 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Ouch. Maybe try the cheaper Sapphire Flex card or the new Radeon 7990 - should be able to handle up to six displays per card with DP enabled.

EVGA Z77 FTW 151-IB-E699-KR Motherboard $240
We have 100s of GB of RAM just sitting around (I will use 16GB)
We have a few 1TB Black WD HDD (I will only use one)
I will go out and get a rackmountable case to put into our rack we have
I will get a decent Crucial 800w 80plus certified power supply

GPU I think I will use

4 firepro 2460s giving me 16 outputs (we have a few laying around so I would have to buy just a one)

Turns out they want two of the screens separate since someone RDPs to it.

This would allow for some new cabling to be done budgetary wise.

What do you guys think?
November 10, 2012 4:19:05 AM

Quote:
I will get a decent Crucial 800w 80plus certified power supply

Crucial doesn't make power supplies, are you sure you don't mean Corsair?
!