Power Supply enough for my Graphics Cards

Kyle1519

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
I have a TX850 PSU, just wanted to know if that was sufficient to power 3x 670 SC 4GB VRAM in SLI

Here is my projected system:

Intel i7 2600k Sandy Bridge
Asus P8P67 Motherboard
3x EVGA 670 4GB SC SLI
Corsair 16GB DDR3 1666mhz
Corsair TX850 PSU
Corsair 600T case
3x Asus VG278H 3D

Solution
Okay ja sorry. Yes it appears that board could handle the three graphics cards. Just keep in mind that with that current system your stuck with PCI-e 2.0 until you upgrade both your CPU and your MOBO. From your last post I understand you already bought most of the rig and your just deciding whether you should add 1 or 2 more GPU's? If that is the case I'd suggest that you first get just 2 and see how they run for you if your satisfied with the performance then your golden! :) and if your not get the second one. Unless of course your getting huge discounts by buying two at a tym....

BTW I also think that's a legend build! Thumbs up!! :D

bigbasedrum

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
You should be fine, but may I just ask. Why you going with 3 670's? Because Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge only have 16 PCI-e lanes available. That means that two of your cards are gonna run in x4 which is a serious bandwidth restriction. And unless you go for the Deluxe version of that MOBO you only gonna have 2 PCI-e slots available. If you haven't bought the system yet I'd advise you to either drop one of the GPU's and buy two more powerful GPU's. Or you could go for the Ivy Bridge version of that CPU and the Asus P8Z77-V Pro. That gets you PCI-e 3.0 which is twice as fast as PCI-e 2.0. At present your 3 GPU's+ CPU+ your MOBO is goin to cost you around $ 1 611. If you make the move to the Ivy bridge CPU+ Z77 based MOBO+ let's say 2x GTX 680 it'll work out to about $ 1570 and you'll probably get better performance. Alterantively, if you really want a 3x SLI rig you'll need a MOBO with PLX chip, but I really recommend getting PCI-e 3.0 at least and for that you'll need an Ivy Bridge CPU. I must also mention that the other way to get more PCI-e lanes is with the x79 chipset but both the Sandy Bridge-E processors and the x 79 MOBOs are expensive and again they only support PCI-e 2.0

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
First of all, an 850W psu should be fine. According to this post http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/335793-28-rail-question the 670 uses 15A@12V; your PSU supplies 70A@12V, even if you fudge the math up 20% you're looking ok (3x 18A + 15A for CPU/misc is 69A). If you plan on doing any overclocking, you may want to go a little bigger though.

Have you done your homework on 3d-multimonitor setups?
I have not, but I would make sure that gaming in 3d across 3 monitors would work as you hope, as you are making a huge investment in something a very small number of people have tried.

As bigbase suggested, it maybe worth getting a PCIE3.0 mobo (which means ivybridge CPU as well), as 3x670s are fairly likely to actually take advantage of the extra bandwidth provided.

I'm not really sure that the i7 is necessary for gaming, even in your extreme case. The only tax on the processor is trying to hit 120fps, hyperthreading won't really help you get there, so an i5 will likely give you the same performance; the rest of the burden is on the GPUs. (of course if you are doing more than gaming, then you may have need of the i7).

edit: Also, that is a pretty awesome setup; I wish I could get approval for disposing that much income :)

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Getting a board with 3x16 slots gets pricey, the board I use is a X79 2011 with a i7-3930k, that has 2x16, 1x8 at PCIE 3 speed. I also think you should go with at least a 1000W PSU, and if I were to use more then two GPU's I would get two 690's instead.

You cannot run 3x 670's on that motherboard.

Kyle1519

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012

Sorry for not specifying exactly which board I have. The board is a Asua p8p67 WS revolution. I posted a newegg link below

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131714

This motherboard has 3 pcie slots. Is it still not acceptable for running 3 670s?
I already purchased and revived the whole build with 1 670. Deciding on weather to buy 1 or 2 more 670s for my build.

Thanks for the replies

bigbasedrum

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
Okay ja sorry. Yes it appears that board could handle the three graphics cards. Just keep in mind that with that current system your stuck with PCI-e 2.0 until you upgrade both your CPU and your MOBO. From your last post I understand you already bought most of the rig and your just deciding whether you should add 1 or 2 more GPU's? If that is the case I'd suggest that you first get just 2 and see how they run for you if your satisfied with the performance then your golden! :) and if your not get the second one. Unless of course your getting huge discounts by buying two at a tym....

BTW I also think that's a legend build! Thumbs up!! :D

Solution

Kyle1519

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012

Thank you very much for your compliment and your quick knowledgeable responses. I'm going to buy 1 extra 670 and run dual SLI for now and see where that gets me. Just glad to know I have the option to get a Tri-SLI setup in the future if necessary :D . I realize my limitations on my PCIe 2.0 slots but from what I've read on other benchmarks the difference is not much, maybe 5 FPS. Thanks again.