Closed Solved

Whats the best 7870?

A few of you might have seen my other thread yesterday, well that plan fell through so I cant spend quite that much.
Looking at cards around $200-$260 looking like best options are the 7870s. If anyone knows of a better setup for gaming for around that price weather it be SLI or crossfire setup im all ears. If this is the best option id like to know the best 7870 to get.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006662&isNodeId=1&Description=7870&x=0&y=0

Dual Monitor setup 1920x1080

Pc specs in signature.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about whats 7870
  1. Within your budget, the Gigabyte OC edition, or MSI R7870 HAWK are probably the best, they have the highest factory overclock in that price point, and should be able to be pushed even further without too much trouble.

I personally am loving the MSI HAWK version I just got. I still have the card at the stock overclock right now, and it runs quite cool, idles at about 27 celsius, with gaming load temps peaking at 60 celsius, but more typically hovering in the mid 50s. The fans are nice and quiet at their stock speeds, though they can get a bit loud if you really crank them up.

In your price range you won't find anything better than the 7870 right now. The GTX 660 non Ti is supposed to be launching later this week at a similar price point to the 7870, but all indications are that it will at best be equal to the 7870, an will possibly perform worse in certain situations where the narrower memory bus will cause problems eg. using lots of AA.
  2. Supernova1138 said:
    Within your budget, the Gigabyte OC edition, or MSI R7870 HAWK are probably the best, they have the highest factory overclock in that price point, and should be able to be pushed even further without too much trouble.

I personally am loving the MSI HAWK version I just got. I still have the card at the stock overclock right now, and it runs quite cool, idles at about 27 celsius, with gaming load temps peaking at 60 celsius, but more typically hovering in the mid 50s. The fans are nice and quiet at their stock speeds, though they can get a bit loud if you really crank them up.

In your price range you won't find anything better than the 7870 right now. The GTX 660 non Ti is supposed to be launching later this week at a similar price point to the 7870, but all indications are that it will at best be equal to the 7870, an will possibly perform worse in certain situations where the narrower memory bus will cause problems eg. using lots of AA.

The 7870 HAWK has more overclock features than any other 7870 right? Like over voltage and what not, but even with that said will it out overclock any 7870 like the asus using gputweak or any of others namely the MSI twinfrozr?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127662

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121624

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125418
  3. Best answer
    Overclocking potential is never an absolutely certain thing with any card. The HAWK version does have higher quality components that are designed to facilitate better overclocking, so it has a better chance of achieving a better overclock than most of the other cards you listed. The factory overclock given to the cards can be used as an indicator of how far the manufacturer thinks the card can overclock. The ASUS card has a mere 10MHz overclock, while the Gigabyte and MSI HAWK have 100MHz, the Twin Frozr II MSI card has a 50MHz OC, probably because the Twin Frozr III cooler isn't as good as the Twin Frozr IV on the HAWK version.

Then again, the 7870 was pretty clearly underclocked at stock, pretty much any 7870 is going to be a decent overclocker, a card like the HAWK version is better if you really want to push the card to very high levels. If you are after a more modest overclock, a cheaper model may be better if you want to save $10-20. The Gigabyte OC and MSI HAWK have the best out of box performance, a cheaper model like the ASUS may be able to achieve a similar overclock, or it may not, it's luck of the draw.
  4. Best answer selected by snipersam15.
  5. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product