Good budget gaming PC?

Hi, i really want to upgrade my core 2 duo system up to a amd fx system for christmas.

I'll tell you what i currently have so you can see how much better the cheap new build is:

Core 2 duo e8400 @3.47GHz
4GB ddr2 ram
Nvidia geforce 8600gt 256 ddr3
windows 7 ultimate 64bit
asus p5w dh deluxe.
FSP Bluestorm ii 500w

I want to upgrade to this, how much better will it be for playing games like gta iv, battlefield 3? 1080P?

AMD FX4130 3.8GHz - 125W TDP
4/8GB's ddr3 ram]
ATI 6770 1gb (or if you can think of a better one for £80?)
Windows 7 64bit ultimate
FSP Bluestorm ii 500w 80plus.
ASUS M5A97 AM3+

How much better will this be?

BUT!!!, a big but! The motherboard has a 8pin cpu connector, my power supply has 4, will it work if i only plug one in. I want to overclock too!

Thanks!
17 answers Last reply
More about good budget gaming
  1. What kind of budget are you working with? If you want to upgrade and overclock I'd heavily suggest taking a look at the A10-5800K over the FX-4130, the built in graphics will exceed the 6770 and you get lots of overclocking headroom.
  2. Yes there is a better way to do it with parts other than the FX4130.
  3. g-unit1111 said:
    What kind of budget are you working with? If you want to upgrade and overclock I'd heavily suggest taking a look at the A10-5800K over the FX-4130, the built in graphics will exceed the 6770 and you get lots of overclocking headroom.

£160 for motherboard, cpu and graphics card, that's why i went with a £55 cpu, not a £100 A10-5800K
  4. Deemo13 said:
    Yes there is a better way to do it with parts other than the FX4130.

??
  5. g-unit1111 said:
    What kind of budget are you working with? If you want to upgrade and overclock I'd heavily suggest taking a look at the A10-5800K over the FX-4130, the built in graphics will exceed the 6770 and you get lots of overclocking headroom.

Sorry about what i last wrote, you are SO right!! If the a10's build in graphics exceed the 6770, that will be SOSO good. Thank you!!

What framerates will i expect for games like battlefield 3 and gta iv at 1080p?

Thanks again
  6. He's trying to say if you just get the A10, the integrated graphics will be more than sufficient to play games on.
  7. thomasd221 said:
    Sorry about what i last wrote, you are SO right!! If the a10's build in graphics exceed the 6770, that will be SOSO good. Thank you!!

What framerates will i expect for games like battlefield 3 and gta iv at 1080p?

Thanks again

If you overclock it right you can probably get about at least 30 - 40 FPS and that should be sufficient enough. The built in GPU also can be heavily overclocked, which is why I suggest it. Make sure you get a good, solid fan before doing this.
  8. g-unit1111 said:
    If you overclock it right you can probably get about at least 30 - 40 FPS and that should be sufficient enough. The built in GPU also can be heavily overclocked, which is why I suggest it. Make sure you get a good, solid fan before doing this.

Thanks very much, you've made my decision, just out of interest, if i want to do the dual graphics thing, whats the best GPU i can do that with?
  9. thomasd221 said:
    Thanks very much, you've made my decision, just out of interest, if i want to do the dual graphics thing, whats the best GPU i can do that with?

You can pretty much use any Radeon and get that effect - the built in GPU is the 7660 - so if you get the same or better that will work.
  10. g-unit1111 said:
    You can pretty much use any Radeon and get that effect - the built in GPU is the 7660 - so if you get the same or better that will work.

Just had a quick look online. The best GPU you can pair with it is a 6670
  11. g-unit1111 said:

I'm really tempted to try one of these...I kinda want to buy one.
  12. Deemo13 said:
    I'm really tempted to try one of these...I kinda want to buy one.

I do too - if I hadn't just built my home theater PC I'd be all over getting one of those. I wound up reusing my i3-2120.
  13. g-unit1111 said:
    I do too - if I hadn't just built my home theater PC I'd be all over getting one of those. I wound up reusing my i3-2120.

Also, one more issue. I believe the FM2 motherboards have a 8pin cpu connector. My PSU only has a 4pin, will it work??
  14. your old build and your "prospective" build............ you have really poor taste in video cards. no wonder your gaming sucked.

why don't you buy a really good card and try it in your old machine..... grant you, it's still only a dual core and that will hold you back in both those games you listed,......... but more than those video cards ?

PS's, video cards and processors are 3 places not to scrimp. Motherboards can be $50 and still be good enough and you can buy the cheapest ram and still be good enough.
  15. You do realize my current core 2 build was completely free and I didn't pay a penny. So, yes the graphics card ducks, I didn't exactly have a choice, it was free.

And also, the A10 with a 6670 will be more than enough for battlefield 3, you should know that.

Next time, check your facts first.
  16. it'll be good enough to work but you'll have to make concessions so it won't be as good as it could be.
  17. swifty_morgan said:
    it'll be good enough to work but you'll have to make concessions so it won't be as good as it could be.

I know it won't be as good as it could be, I'm used to playing on consoles with 720p, this will be a BIG step up!
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems