CPU, GPU, and heat

TIER1_Christian

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
I just built my first pc recently. So far I have enjoyed it quite a lot. The thing I want to know is how do I tell how well my GPU and CPU are performing. I have no idea how hot they are running when I play games like BF3 or Skyrim.I don't think they are getting to hot but it kinda scares me not knowing. I also don't know how to control the speed of my case fans. i have them plugged into the motherboard but I don't know how fast they are running or anything like that. I would be really appreciative if anyone could tell me what I need to do or what programs I need to access this info.

Solution
For in game displays you want a utility with an OSD (on screen display). I use the MSI Afterburner utility to both OC my GPU and watch temps in game. I also watch FPS. I do not watch CPU temps, but I've tested my max CPU temps many times. I believe Afterburner also has a plugin for CPU temps. What I usaully do for a new build or new OC speed is run it with OCCT, which will stress test for you. You can run your CPU at 100% and pretty much see how hot it will ever get. Also, you can test your GPU.

As far as case fans you can set a speed or a profile in your motherboard BIOS or UEFI (newer type BIOS). Most motherboards also have software that you can use to manage fan speed for those plugged into the motherboard. I know ASUS has a...
For in game displays you want a utility with an OSD (on screen display). I use the MSI Afterburner utility to both OC my GPU and watch temps in game. I also watch FPS. I do not watch CPU temps, but I've tested my max CPU temps many times. I believe Afterburner also has a plugin for CPU temps. What I usaully do for a new build or new OC speed is run it with OCCT, which will stress test for you. You can run your CPU at 100% and pretty much see how hot it will ever get. Also, you can test your GPU.

As far as case fans you can set a speed or a profile in your motherboard BIOS or UEFI (newer type BIOS). Most motherboards also have software that you can use to manage fan speed for those plugged into the motherboard. I know ASUS has a very elaborate software you can use to control fans. i usually just get good 120mm fans and set them to standard. Throw on a FAT CPU cooler and I'm set.

Solution