Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 12, 2012 6:42:08 PM

Hey all,

I'm building a new rig with the following spec:

core i7 3770k with arctic freezer i30
asus p8z77-v
8gb corsair vengance LP

Note: I'm using a hyper 580w psu and a 1680x1050 screen

I currently have a sapphire HD4870 1gb vapor-x and find its been struggling lately with games (i play mainly fps's and rpg's - skyrim, crysis2, max payne3, witcher2, gta4, borderlands2, sleeping dogs etc)

My question to the forum is: Can I get another 4870 and crossfire, and get performance any where near to a 7950 / 660ti, or should i shelf out £250 for a new card; bearing in mind that a second hand 4870 would cose me ~£60

Note: I've found both a 7950 (msi Twin Frozr III) or (HIS iceQ boost) and a 660ti (MSI PE) for £250)

Note: My budget isn't fix, so if theres a card which really stands out roughly around that price mark, do tell. Also if there is a better 7950 / 660ti that i havent found, feel free to point it out :) 

Thanks in advance for any advice
Val
a b U Graphics card
September 12, 2012 6:48:08 PM

Get the 660ti. It will most likely smoke the 2x4870 and is also a bit faster than the 7950. And it's a power edition, so you can overclock the ever-loving crap out of it.
a b U Graphics card
September 12, 2012 6:52:09 PM

And just a friendly question, since I replied, why did you post another thread just like this one? :/ 
Related resources
September 12, 2012 7:59:44 PM

hi there auntarie, thanks for the advice :) 

first time poster, didn't see that I had added this thread as a "discussion without an answer", so I reposted it as a question as I thought it may get more views. I then went on to find I couldn't delete the older thread, so there are now 2. I appologise for the mess :/ 
a b U Graphics card
September 12, 2012 8:05:08 PM

No problem for me, but it might get deleted. Or maybe both of them. Just so you know if one day the thread is missing :/  Stuff like that happens...
September 12, 2012 8:22:35 PM

Hello! I realise I'm a little late to the party, but have you looked at the recent article that Tom's put out about the 660Ti's? It looks like if you are planning on running AA, your best bet would be the 7950, not the 660Ti. If you don't use Anti-Aliasing, then the 660Ti is your best bet.

Linky: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-...
September 12, 2012 8:26:01 PM

As I mentioned in your other thread, I would strongly consider the 7950 over the 660ti if you are planning on running AA - here's a link to the Tom's review of the current 660ti's

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-...

Where are you planning on buying your card? At the price, I would seriously consider going for a 670GTX or a 7970 Ghz edition - I've found that going middle of the road with a video card doesn't pay off in the long run.
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 12, 2012 8:29:57 PM

This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
  • Crossfire HD4870 vs 7950 / 660ti .
    September 12, 2012 8:44:36 PM

niceas said:
    Hello! I realise I'm a little late to the party, but have you looked at the recent article that Tom's put out about the 660Ti's? It looks like if you are planning on running AA, your best bet would be the 7950, not the 660Ti. If you don't use Anti-Aliasing, then the 660Ti is your best bet.

Linky: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-...

What is funny is I have the same link copied and ready to post.

At your monitor resolution your probably ok with the 660Ti and max AA might stretch to 8x. The reason why I'm saying this is at 1080p you see a steep drop off once when AA is enabled.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-...

If your looking trying to future proof your system as much as you can, I would roll with a 7950. Games should only be getting better with more demands on the GPU as we go on.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX...

Went and found my 7950 on a UK site since you were talking "£."

I am in the US and own a Sapphire 7950 with a factory OC at 950mhz. Card takes everything I throw at it and returns it with room to spare. On BF3 which is known to not be so friendly to AMD I see a vsinc locked screen and FPS at 60+. I have a fan running in my room and I barely hear my computer fans or for a matter the GPU's fans. Highest I've seen the card is ~60c and that was after 4 hours of BF3 with a fan speed at ~55%. If OC'ing is your thing people have been getting 1100-1300Mhz off this card with out having to do much to the fan speed with the extra heat. I got mine to 1200Mhz in a test but I see very little point right now to have it running that high when it isn't needed.

You posted a price at £250 and the card that I have linked is only £263.99.
    September 12, 2012 8:47:11 PM

I wanna add to that too. With the latest video drivers and the recent official GPU Bios update from AMD, the 7950 is reigning all over the punny 660 Ti. The best 660Ti OC can't match the default clocks of the 7950.

Think then about OC'ing the ATI card. Sir, you have a winner.
    September 12, 2012 8:58:38 PM

get a new card to experience the dx11 goodness and heat/power savings. I have 2 4870s and am looking at a 7870 or 7950
    September 12, 2012 8:59:24 PM

hi all, thanks for all your replies

ive read the 2 threads where all 7950's and 660ti's are compared, which were really useful.
    the 7950: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-hd-7950-review-ben...

and drinkingcola86, how long have you had your card and how long do you recon a card like this can keep up with pc games in the future? i say this because i dont want to be replacing it in a year due to it not being able to hold its weight.

thanks
    Val

September 12, 2012 9:07:50 PM

For reference I'm running one of the Sapphire 7970 OCs - I picked it up for $409cdn, which put it right in line with the GTX 670s at the time. Keep an eye out for what is available, and make your decisions based on that.

While I firmly believe that the AMDs are the stronger cards, the question comes down to cost to performance. Everything I've seen locally is that the AMD cards are less expensive - and so are for me the clear winners.

I would strongly consider spending the extra cash on the 7970 ghz simply because it is a form of future proofing - but base your choice on your budget and your needs. I just can't afford to upgrade my system every couple of years - so I went with spending more now to delay the upgrade by a couple of years.
    September 12, 2012 9:11:48 PM

killerval said:
    hi all, thanks for all your replies

ive read the 2 threads where all 7950's and 660ti's are compared, which were really useful.
    the 7950: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-hd-7950-review-ben...

and drinkingcola86, how long have you had your card and how long do you recon a card like this can keep up with pc games in the future? i say this because i dont want to be replacing it in a year due to it not being able to hold its weight.

thanks
    Val

I've had my card now for 2.5 months. I've started looking towards this card when Sapphire released it about 5 months ago was just waiting on funds.

I used to run 2 4850's in CF and when i picked up BF3 i had to set everything to either medium or low so with that and one of them starting to cause more artifacting in games I figured it was time to start looking.

I could see this card lasting 2-3 years on its own while buying one later on for CF I could see it lasting even longer almost like my 4850's lasting me 4 almost 5 years.

Since I started to build computers which happened back in 2006 I have found very little use in upgrading video cards every year. Yes there will always be that one game that will push every card out there to its limits but for most standard games I would find it very difficult, for me at least, to upgrade this card within 2 years.
    September 12, 2012 9:18:26 PM

I'll echo what drinkingcola had to say - I anticipate getting at least 3 years out of my 7970 - I usually do a system build every 4 years, and I expect my 7970 to last roughly that long.
    !