Sign in with
Your question

Need Advice, Go to Single GPU or Stay with SLI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 12, 2012 6:51:55 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: within the next 2 weeks BUDGET RANGE: up to $300 before rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming. I play Star Wars: The Old Republic

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: I currently have 2 NVIDIA 9500GT running SLI and have an Ultra X4 800W P/S

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Phenom X4 945 CPU 3.0GHz, Win7 64-bit Ultimate, 8GB Ram, MSI NF980-G65 MoBo

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, compusa store COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: NVIDIA

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI : Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: My Question is would I benefit from just having a single GPU (like a 560Ti) or running two of the same graphics cards like I am running now
September 12, 2012 7:00:01 PM

In your price range and situation, I would definitely go for a single more powerful GPU.

I would also wait a few days to see the GTX 660 (non TI) reviews and price on release. You might like the GTX 660 or 660 TI for that setup. I would recommend a Kepler (600) card since your system looks good enough for it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 12, 2012 7:06:06 PM

+1 Single GPU (emphatically!!)

Your original setup was kind of weak - low power cards should really never be put in SLI. Part of the power is wasted in the sharing process. Only get SLI if you can't get a single card in your performance range/budget.

Edit: also if you havent read it you should read this months GPU guide --
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
m
l
!