Sign in with
Your question

Thermal paste question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 12, 2012 7:21:13 PM

Hi

I have the AMD ATI HD6670 1gb ddr5

and I have ditched the stock cooler for this Arctic Cooling twin turbo;

When I fit it to the card there's a very small gap between the pre-applied thermal paste and the freshly cleaned GPU.

I've read that the thermal paste may expand once heated but I don't want to take the risk and fry the card.

It only touches one corner of the GPU. The screws are down tight (not over done though) and I don't want them any tighter tbh.

Considering that the actual GPU that should contact the heatsink/paste is about 75% smaller than the pre-applied paste; could I just move some of the paste from the center to make it a touch thicker?

I'll appreciate any help!
Thanks

More about : thermal paste question

a b U Graphics card
September 12, 2012 7:29:42 PM

The heatsink should fit flush on the GPU. Using too much paste can be a bad thing because it will act as an insulator. Something is wrong with how the heatsink is sitting on the GPU. Maybe it's rotated 180 degrees?
a b U Graphics card
September 12, 2012 7:32:25 PM

The paste should ONLY be there to prevent air bubbles, if it is not snug on there then something is wrong.

Being that close it may be a washer on the wrong side of the board or something. I did this operation with my old 9800GT and put a washer on the wrong side of the board it is was just barely too far away, moving the washer to the oposite side of the green board fixed the issue, and now it is still running smoothe today.

Another thing of note; The heat sinks for the other stuff does not stick too well, make sure they are well cured on their respective parts before moving the card.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 12, 2012 7:51:51 PM

Thanks for the sharp responses guys.
Yeah, I'm thinking washers. There's just a thick black one between the brackets and green board (and a thin red one on the other side where the screw heads are).
I may be able to push the bracket down slightly
September 12, 2012 8:08:39 PM

Well there was the tiniest of gaps only visible when light was coming from the back.
I have slightly moved the bracket down and squashed the black washers down onto the bracket (and the adhesive pads that they sit on) with some pliers.
I've fitted them all together and it all seems okay.
Can't see any gap at all.
Guess I'll have to test it now, just slowly taking it higher and monitoring.
Stock; FSX 60'c and OCCT 75-80'c
September 12, 2012 10:41:19 PM

Results.
FSX on (almost) full alongside Minecraft on full and the cooler keeps the GPU at 37'C.
ACE!
September 12, 2012 10:49:29 PM

OCCT couldn't push it past 47'C.
Awesome kit: 23'C drop gaming and 33'C drop stress test!
a b U Graphics card
September 13, 2012 11:34:06 AM

gotta love those after market coolers. They drop temps like a brick, and they tend to be quite silent as well.
September 15, 2012 3:35:41 PM

The power connector from the card is a very small two pin for the stock cooler.
The Accelero requires a small inline 4 pin connector.
I've got it running from the supplied 4pin to 4 pin molex.
this means it's running 100% all the time.
I want it to run from either the Gcard's 2 pin output or from a spare 4pin PWM on the Mobo but can't seem to find the right cable to buy.
Can anyone help?
!