I found current on my graphic card heat sink..

anuk07

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
I found current on my graphics card heat sink............and my graphics card is not giving display but fan is moving...what does it mean.... and one more thing whenever i plug the power cable of monitor to UPS suddenly there is current all over my computer case does it harms my PC...???

Solution
Don't know, maybe i'm wrong anyway, not an electrician.

Maybe it's just static electricity which could be normal, i really couldn't tell.

On the other hand ; i should feel some sparks now and then if my case had that problem to.

I once bought a second hand pc and the gpu wouldn't work, tried everything but no luck, brought it to the store where they found out that at the back of the pc with all the connectors for internet, usb etc there were some parts of the metal ( clips or something, don't know exactly ) bend inwards and made some kind of short circuit, not so bad to shut the system down but bad enough for the gpu not to work, after fixing that that it worked perfect.

I don't say thats your problem to, but just that it can have...

anuk07

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

SO should i change my PSU or first verify the graphics card with other computer...

rndmavis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Standoffs are the plastic or metal pieces that keep the motherboard from touching the part of the case that the motherboard is screwed to. Usually a screw is screwed into the standoffs with the motherboard sandwhiched between the two pieces.

anuk07

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

:eek: my mobo is connected to the case with some screws and current is also present in them.....

ram1009

Distinguished
You can't connect a MB directly to the metal case without spacers (otherwise known as standoffs) between the bottom of the MB and the metal pan. The spacers (standoffs) can look very different depending upon the case but all serve the same purpose. They will be located wherever there is a screw holding the MB to the pan. Electrically, they ground the MB to the case to help prevent stray currents like you're seeing.

anuk07

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
hey guys thnx for replies i found my wall outlet was got disconnected from the ground that's why there is current all over my case..... I repaired it and every thing is fine now... thnx any ways....

anuk07

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

i dnt know where its came from.....what your opinion what it could be...what should i check now? and how...? :sweat:

Don't know, maybe i'm wrong anyway, not an electrician.

Maybe it's just static electricity which could be normal, i really couldn't tell.

On the other hand ; i should feel some sparks now and then if my case had that problem to.

I once bought a second hand pc and the gpu wouldn't work, tried everything but no luck, brought it to the store where they found out that at the back of the pc with all the connectors for internet, usb etc there were some parts of the metal ( clips or something, don't know exactly ) bend inwards and made some kind of short circuit, not so bad to shut the system down but bad enough for the gpu not to work, after fixing that that it worked perfect.

I don't say thats your problem to, but just that it can have lots of reasons and impossible to tell without physically seeing the pc.

Solution

anuk07

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
nice find.. :sol:

I think i have these...can i just pull them out....?