Sign in with
Your question

Recommend a good optical drive?

Last response: in Systems
November 8, 2012 9:05:34 PM

Hi,

Can any one recommend a quality optical drive? It just needs to be able to read I think. Also I don't require blu-ray, but if its not too expensive why not? Mainly it has to be quiet, reliable and fast.

November 8, 2012 9:14:30 PM

the cheapest one you can find. Lite-On is usually the cheapest DVD/CD RW drive. If you pay more than $18 you are getting ripped.
Related resources
November 8, 2012 11:48:35 PM

Get the asus one
November 9, 2012 7:34:16 AM

tiny voices said:
Get the asus one

Thanks. Any particular reason it's better than the Sony?
November 9, 2012 8:07:54 AM

Either one will do the job, I know Asus makes good quality stuff, I'm not sure how the Sony ones are, they could be good too. I noticed the Sony drive is pure black with no writing, maybe that's something you'd like. I have a black fractal design case and have the Asus one. Sorry I couldn't be more help! But either one will do.
November 9, 2012 9:28:12 AM

brandon402 said:
Either one will do the job, I know Asus makes good quality stuff, I'm not sure how the Sony ones are, they could be good too. I noticed the Sony drive is pure black with no writing, maybe that's something you'd like. I have a black fractal design case and have the Asus one. Sorry I couldn't be more help! But either one will do.

I might have the same case! R4 right? How does the asus look in yours? Do you think the Sony might blend in better behind the door with its matte paint?
November 9, 2012 11:47:58 AM

Pmckenna said:
I might have the same case! R4 right? How does the asus look in yours? Do you think the Sony might blend in better behind the door with its matte paint?

I have the Arc Mini, the Asus drive looks good. Since the R4 has a door, you won't see it most of the time. If you want the Sony go for it, there can't be too much difference! Also I rarely use my optical drives, if you don't use them much either, then just go with which one you think will look better in your computer case. :) 
November 9, 2012 2:55:11 PM

brandon402 said:
I have the Arc Mini, the Asus drive looks good. Since the R4 has a door, you won't see it most of the time. If you want the Sony go for it, there can't be too much difference! Also I rarely use my optical drives, if you don't use them much either, then just go with which one you think will look better in your computer case. :) 

Yeah, I'll rarely see it but if I can get the colour to match it would be a bonus. :D 
Is your asus shiny gloss black or matte? Can't really tell from the amazon pic.
November 9, 2012 3:05:36 PM

matte, i think
November 9, 2012 3:53:46 PM

Yep the Asus is matte
November 9, 2012 4:21:55 PM

Thanks guys. I'll get the Asus!
!