New system not recognizing CD-RW

Oilybohunk

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
I just rebuilt my system, upgrading from a Xeon 450 to an AMD 1.4. I reused my Philips CD-RW. Unfortunately, when I reinstalled Adaptec Easy CD, I am receiving an error message telling me that no recordable CD can be found. Looking at the drive in the device manager, it shows as an IDE CD R/RW, but under properties, it shows the device type as "DVD/CD-ROM device". To the best of my knowledge this device is strictly plug-and-play. I've never had any specific drivers for it (or for any drive, for that matter) Any suggestions?

G

I have just encountered the same issue. Did you fix this?
I have tried two different CD -RW and get the same problem. Both are defined as CD-ROM in windows and I cannot write to them.

Thanks,

Michael

G

Thanks, but I need to give you more information.
I have Windows ME, Easy CD Creator V4.05.

Any help?

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Oh man what a combination !!!
I have Windows ME, Easy CD Creator V4.05.

my advice

1. upgrade to winxp OR downgrade to Win98 se ( both are better than winme)

2. Ditch the roxio\creative software and install Nero

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>

Oilybohunk

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
Actually, I never got it to work with that drive. I bought a new Plextor, formatted the hard drive, and started over. Everything works fine.

I agree with Lagger. You may want consider getting away from Win ME. I've also change to Nero. It is a great improvement over Easy CD.

I'm sorry that I can't provide a direct solutions, but I my best recommendation would be to try Nero and see if it can recognize the drive. Here is a <font color=blue><A HREF="http://www.nero.com/en/download.htm" target="_new"> free demo. </A></font color=blue>

Good Luck,

JCC

<font color=purple> I doubt, therefore I might be </font color=purple>

G

Thanks for the help.
I moved to Nero, and all is well.

Thanks,
Michael

I offer a penny for your thoughts, but you give me your two cents worth.