Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinnyvendetta

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
ok so im getting a new computer and i have two choices. they are both microtel and prebuilt so i cant pick and choose parts. The first contains a gtx 680 GPU with a amd phenom II 965 CPU. The second contains a gtx 670 GPU and an I7 3770k CPU. all the other specs in the comp are the same except the gtx 670 computer has liquid cooling. so my concern is will the gtx 680 be bottlnecked by its cpu? or should i stick with the 670 and a better proccesor. i play games like WoW BF3 Skyrim Crisis etc. any help is appreciated. thank you :)

Solution
The 670 will easily overclock to the same performance as the 680, if you even need that much power.

The i7 is overkill, and it doesn't help in games, but it's definitely the best choice.

The 965 platform offers no upgrade path. At least we hope Intel will make faster Ivy Bridge cpu's.

killerkow

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
The GTX 680 and i7 are both more than you probably need, unless you have some serious demands. What resolution and settings are you gaming at, or how long are you trying to make this build last?

Anyway...

Of those two, I'd rather get the i7 + GTX 670. The i7 will outlive the AMD, but the 680 will be outdated at about the same time as the 670.

Vinnyvendetta

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
unfortunately they dont. but the two computers are the same price so i know its wasting money on an I7 but its not much of a loss to me. will the i7 still perform well for games? and i appreciate your time.

The 670 will easily overclock to the same performance as the 680, if you even need that much power.

The i7 is overkill, and it doesn't help in games, but it's definitely the best choice.

The 965 platform offers no upgrade path. At least we hope Intel will make faster Ivy Bridge cpu's.

Solution

Vinnyvendetta

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
well id be happy with 1080p and i have a 32in hdtv that i plan on using as a monitor via hdmi. im not crazy about running everything totaly maxed out but id like to have reatively high settings with 60 fps. if it last two years id be more than happy.

killerkow

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
I'm with geekapprovec. It's all overkill for gaming at medium settings at 1080p, but the i7 system is better. There's not that much practical difference between 670 and 680 in your use.

Vinnyvendetta

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
alright that helps a lot thank you. ive done so much research on both gpus and cpus but so many things are biast so its hard to make an educated decision. but to be honest either one is a huge upgrade. ive never been able to run more than 30 fps in any game ( except League of Legends) so i think ill be happy no matter what. i just wana make the best decision i can.

Vinnyvendetta

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
ok so this leads me to another thought. since the i5 2500k is better for gaming anyway would it be better to get the 680 and upgrade the CPU down the road? or will the 965 totaly bottleneck the 680?

You don't seem to be listening to the advice your being given.

The i5 is not better for gaming. We said the i7 is overkill, not the i5 is better.........I also told you if you got he 965 route, you will not be able to upgrade to 2500K. You cannot run a Intel cpu on a AMD motherboard.

Vinnyvendetta

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
ohhhh. ok thank you sorry i didnt really understand that when u said it. i was confused when u said the i7 wouldnt help for gaming. but ok thank you very much ive made my choice now. really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.