Desperate for a solution.

Maneens

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Brand new build, Gigabyte 7970 Ghz Edition had coil whine when under load. The worst is during opening animations (when I play Darksiders II the initial THQ logo animation must get like 1000+ FPS because the coil whine is extremely loud) or game menus.

I RMA'd this 7970 after confirming that the coil whine was coming from the GPU (swapped out PSU's, put my card in brother's computer and coil whine persisted)

After receiving my new 7970 from Newegg, I'm still getting coil whine. At this point I'm 99% sure it's being caused by my mobo (AsRock Z77 Extreme4). Not that the sound is coming from the mobo, but that it's an interaction of my GPU and mobo together.

I figure this is the case because even after putting two different GPUs in my computer, I still get very loud coil whine at the intro of Darksiders II and other similar high FPS games.

I realize coil whine isn't detrimental to system performance or component longevity, but it's kind of disappointing spending good money on a brand new system and having this issue. Should I RMA my motherboard? (I purchased it from NCIX, and it's still within 14 days I believe or whatever the return date is). I really just want this coil whine issue solved.

I've ran tests without a GPU, just using the Intel HD 4000/Ivy Bridge graphics and there is absolutely no coil whine.

Relevant specs:

Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4

GPU: Gigabyte 7970 GHz Edition (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125439&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCA&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCA-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA)

PSU: Corsair HX650

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
I guess I dont understand what "coil whine" is, but just out of curiosity... if you put it in your brothers machine and it still did it, then how is it your motherboard?

I am guessing based on the reviews that it is simply fan noise as pretty much everyone complains about them being loud. - Maybe you should have considered that when purchasing them.

drums101

Distinguished
seems like you did a good amount of testing to come to a conclusion that it is something caused by the motherboard.....if it indeed is coil whine like you say (sounds like it the way you described it..being worse at menus is common) then I would def say try RMA'ing the motherboard....I googled your board + coil whine and it comes back to a few people having issues with it...if you RMA it and the problem persists you may just have to try a different board a few people with this issue had like 3 replacements and none of them fixed the issue.

TRENDING THREADS