DA: Fae thoughts...

Well, my special order arrived today. I'm thru the first couple
chapters, which outlines the history, nature and world of the Dark
Medieval Fae...

MANY people will be *very* happy with this game, at least judging from
a lot of the Changeling threads I've read on this forum. Kiths and
Houses are a thing of the past (so to speak); The Dreaming, Glamour
and Banality? All gone. Only 8 splat-divisions, but each allows you
customize your fae by mixing and matching features (similar to the
build-your-own-apocalyptic-form in the Demon's Player's Guide). Pity
for me, as I liked all those things...but they replaced them with
equally cool features, so I'll adapt...^^

So far, AFAICT, there is virtually no connection to the game of
Changeling that we know; this is a much greater departure from the
source than DA: Mage was. If anything, the fae here hew more closely
to the fae from Exalted; The Mists could very easily be the modern,
toned down version of the Wyld...

If your Changeling game relies heavily on metaplot, you may have a
hard time adjusting to this; you'd have to come up with a pretty
damned good reason why the Fae are completely wrong about the Tuatha
De Danaan, the Fomorians, and, well, just about everything else...to
say nothing of where Arcadia, the Dreaming and the noble houses came
from.

OTOH, if you haven't started a Changeling Game yet, or want to try
something new and different, then look into this, as the game is
beautifully crafted (I'm referring to the art and setting here;
haven't made it to the rules mechs yet). Consider also the option of
updating the setting and rules within for a modern day variant of
Changeling, since this seems to be what a lot of people here were
suggesting not too long ago...

Dex,
who misses Chimera!!T_T

On 9 Jul 2004 01:01:33 -0700, smilinglord@hotmail.com (Hand-of-Omega)
wrote:

>Well, my special order arrived today. I'm thru the first couple
>chapters, which outlines the history, nature and world of the Dark
>Medieval Fae...

Cheers for that Dex. I'm looking to get this fine tome (and was
looking forward to doing a review), but here in Manchester it seems to
be as rare as hen's teeth.

Looking forward to getting and using it soon!

Cheers,

Charlie

I bought it a couple of weeks ago and I like it. Kinda miss alot of the
stuff from C:TD though :<

Hand-of-Omega wrote:
> Well, my special order arrived today. I'm thru the first couple
> chapters, which outlines the history, nature and world of the Dark
> Medieval Fae...
>
> MANY people will be *very* happy with this game, at least judging from
> a lot of the Changeling threads I've read on this forum. Kiths and
> Houses are a thing of the past (so to speak); The Dreaming, Glamour
> and Banality? All gone. Only 8 splat-divisions, but each allows you
> customize your fae by mixing and matching features (similar to the
> build-your-own-apocalyptic-form in the Demon's Player's Guide). Pity
> for me, as I liked all those things...but they replaced them with
> equally cool features, so I'll adapt...^^
>
> So far, AFAICT, there is virtually no connection to the game of
> Changeling that we know; this is a much greater departure from the
> source than DA: Mage was. If anything, the fae here hew more closely
> to the fae from Exalted; The Mists could very easily be the modern,
> toned down version of the Wyld...
>
> If your Changeling game relies heavily on metaplot, you may have a
> hard time adjusting to this; you'd have to come up with a pretty
> damned good reason why the Fae are completely wrong about the Tuatha
> De Danaan, the Fomorians, and, well, just about everything else...to
> say nothing of where Arcadia, the Dreaming and the noble houses came
> from.
>
> OTOH, if you haven't started a Changeling Game yet, or want to try
> something new and different, then look into this, as the game is
> beautifully crafted (I'm referring to the art and setting here;
> haven't made it to the rules mechs yet). Consider also the option of
> updating the setting and rules within for a modern day variant of
> Changeling, since this seems to be what a lot of people here were
> suggesting not too long ago...
>
> Dex,
> who misses Chimera!!T_T

"Hand-of-Omega"

> The Mists could very easily be the modern,
> toned down version of the Wyld...

I've only flipped through it (it didn't scream "BUY ME NOW!!!", even
though I figured it would...I guess the price tag made me think
twice). But...well...the Mists in DA:F are different than the Mists
in C:tD?

Charlie B <msrfx@remove_to_mail.fsmail.net> wrote in message news:<apnte0pf72u0dc0bhd9pvorm1p8k10gnu2@4ax.com>...
> On 9 Jul 2004 01:01:33 -0700, smilinglord@hotmail.com (Hand-of-Omega)
> wrote:
>
> >Well, my special order arrived today. I'm thru the first couple
> >chapters, which outlines the history, nature and world of the Dark
> >Medieval Fae...
>
> Cheers for that Dex. I'm looking to get this fine tome (and was
> looking forward to doing a review), but here in Manchester it seems to
> be as rare as hen's teeth.

Pg. 186: Apparently quite good for potions that may raise the dead...

Dex

maltlick@yahoo.com (Zane Graves) wrote in message news:<3a33e414.0407101243.7d907dc0@posting.google.com>...
> "Hand-of-Omega"
>
> > The Mists could very easily be the modern,
> > toned down version of the Wyld...
>
> I've only flipped through it (it didn't scream "BUY ME NOW!!!", even
> though I figured it would...I guess the price tag made me think
> twice). But...well...the Mists in DA:F are different than the Mists
> in C:tD?

Pretty much. C:tD's Mists are a byproduct of Banality, and keeps
humanity from realizing the existence of the Fae. DA:F's Mists are
closer to Glamour, the source of Faerie's powers and nature, along
with some aspects of the Wyld. The Mists also allow Fae to disguise
themselves as humans, hide their powers and "enchant" mortals.

DA:F doesn't have Glamour or Banality, or any connection to the
Dreaming at all (it's not even mentioned in the Storytelling section
that offers various possibilities for their "true" natures, including
incarnate dreams and fallen angels).

The closest thing here to Banality is the Weaving, which is how a Fae
channels the raw power of the Mists into Cantrips (many of which are
recognizable). Funnily enough, the Cantrip section is organized like
Mage the Ascension: A blanket description of the Sphere/Dominion,
explanations of what's possible at each of the five levels, then
examples of Rotes/Cantrips...

How do they stack against Magery? I'm not really sure yet, but I think
the Spheres/Pillars are still more powerful, even tho this version of
Faerie magic is almost as free-form. The idea is very close to the
Minor Spheres idea of controlling manifestations of certain concepts,
tho probably not as much as the Elemental Alchemy of the Hsien...

Speaking of whom, I've long been vocal about how little the so-called
"Eastern Fae" had in common with the Kithain (I'd sooner expect them
to run across Western Werewolves than Fae), but *these* Fae fit
alongside them much better. The Day/Night Dominions are almost a
perfect fit for Yin/Yang effects, and some of the Fae are even divided
along 5 elemental affinities (Air, Water, Wood, Earth, and Fire) as in
the East! A crossover chronicle set inthe Dark Medieval period could
work very nicely indeed...

Dex

On 17 Jul 2004 10:25:08 -0700, smilinglord@hotmail.com (Hand-of-Omega)
wrote:

>Charlie B <msrfx@remove_to_mail.fsmail.net> wrote in message news:<apnte0pf72u0dc0bhd9pvorm1p8k10gnu2@4ax.com>...
>> On 9 Jul 2004 01:01:33 -0700, smilinglord@hotmail.com (Hand-of-Omega)
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Well, my special order arrived today. I'm thru the first couple
>> >chapters, which outlines the history, nature and world of the Dark
>> >Medieval Fae...
>>
>> Cheers for that Dex. I'm looking to get this fine tome (and was
>> looking forward to doing a review), but here in Manchester it seems to
>> be as rare as hen's teeth.
>>
>Pg. 186: Apparently quite good for potions that may raise the dead...

Nice to see Manchester getting a mention in Dark Ages.

All I need is the book so I can check I'm not getting the wrong end of
the stick, and for the campaign to kick off so I can use it.

Cheers,

Charlie

Charlie B <msrfx@remove_to_mail.fsmail.net> wrote in message news:<k2qif09avgcsdfog2414osudsa863au1ac@4ax.com>...
> On 17 Jul 2004 10:25:08 -0700, smilinglord@hotmail.com (Hand-of-Omega)
> wrote:
>
> >Charlie B <msrfx@remove_to_mail.fsmail.net> wrote in message news:<apnte0pf72u0dc0bhd9pvorm1p8k10gnu2@4ax.com>...

> >> Cheers for that Dex. I'm looking to get this fine tome (and was
> >> looking forward to doing a review), but here in Manchester it seems to
> >> be as rare as hen's teeth.
> >>
> >Pg. 186: Apparently quite good for potions that may raise the dead...
>
> Nice to see Manchester getting a mention in Dark Ages.

Actually, I was referring to the hen's teeth...^^;;

Incidentally, this "new" take on the Fae may not be so new to WW,
after all. Check out these quotes: "...many faeries stayed behind in
this world, and as the Gauntlet grew thick, they forgot who they were
and became increasingly more mundane. Their blood became diluted with
human blood, and soon their faerie nature was forgotten. Only a few
true faeries escaped to ancient holdings beneath the hills (secret
pockets in the Umbra)...These last faeries called their quasi-mortal
kin "changelings"...Faeries have powers based on their associations
with various concepts and potentials. For example, a faerie allied
with Winter would have powers of cold, snow, and ice, but would also
be able to call forth the powers of Night, Stars, and the Wind because
these are related concepts."

The above is from the Antagonists section of Werewolf: the Apocalypse,
2nd Edition, pg. 259 (and note the word "holdings"...)

It'd be interesting to have a look at the original developement notes
for Changeling: the Dreaming to see how close Dark Ages: Fae might be
to it...

Dex