Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New PSU and GPU problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 12, 2012 10:01:19 PM

Hello,

I recently bought a CORSAIR CX500 PSU and an XFX Radeon HD 7870 Core Edition.

I have installed both, and the computer runs fine, however I am not getting any signal from any of the display outputs. I have tried changing back to my previous card (HD 5670) and now the display ports on THAT card don't work as well, and when I changed the PSU back to the old one the display ports are still not working. Everything seems to be plugged in well, and the GPUs both run when I turn the computer on, I just can't get any signal out of either. The monitor and cord aren't the problem either, I have plugged both into my laptop and they worked great.

My specs are:

motherboard: MSI 760GM-E51
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 3.2 ghz
GPU(s): Used the Radeon HD 5670, trying to change to the Radeon HD 7870
Memory: 8 gigs 1600mhz g-skill ripjaws
hard drive: 1 TB Western Digital 7200rpm
PSU(s): Used the orion HP585D, trying to change to the CORSAIR CX500

Thanks for any and all help

More about : psu gpu problems

a b U Graphics card
September 12, 2012 10:06:26 PM

Boot with onboard GPU only, then enter BIOS, then disable onboard GPU, set boot up to PEG (PCI-E). Save and shut down PC, put back the Corsair and 78, connect via DVI, boot. Problem solved?
Score
September 12, 2012 10:08:37 PM

How exactly do you boot to BIOS??

Please excuse my noobiness.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 12, 2012 10:10:39 PM

Keep on hitting DEL on bootup most like. Your mobo manual should have the exact key.
Score
September 13, 2012 1:24:34 AM

Alright, formatting my USB drive takes forever on my laptop and one of my family members shut it off half way through so while I'm waiting AGAIN,

I don't know if I"ll be able to boot into BIOS mode in the first place - none of the graphic outputs are working, so I don't think I'll be able to see the BIOS mode...

halp
Score
a c 203 U Graphics card
September 13, 2012 1:40:48 AM

try using clear cmos jumper..also on your mb make sure both the 24 pin and 4 pin axt power plugs are connected.
Score
September 13, 2012 1:48:44 AM

smorizio said:
try using clear cmos jumper..also on your mb make sure both the 24 pin and 4 pin axt power plugs are connected.

Mine's only a 20 pint connector - there is a 4 pin directly next to it and the plug in socket for it has 24 pins, however if I put the seperate 4 pin in the socket next to the 20 pin the computer refuses to turn on,m so I can only assume that it is not supposed to plug in.

The 4 pin axt pin plugs in fine though.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Also, if I use the clear cmos jumper will it just remove the whole BIOS, or will it restore it to stock BIOS or what?

Thanks for all of your help I appreciate it and I'm actually starting to feel a little hope :D 
Score
September 13, 2012 2:11:24 AM

OK YEAH WOW I FEEL DUMB NOW.
I didn't realize that the 4 pin connector that was beside the 20 pin actually clicked onto the 20 to plugin.

I plugged that in, but I'm still not getting any picture through the outputs.

I reset the BIOS by removing and replacing the battery, yet still no results.

My USB drive is half way done formatting now, so I'll try that in a bit.

Thanks to everyone who's helped me so far, this has been a great learning experience regardless of whether or not I get my computer to work.
Score
September 13, 2012 3:06:44 AM

Alright, so my flash drive finished with the BIOS formatting, and I tried booting from that however my screen still isn't working so I couldn't choose to boot the BIOS from the flash drive. I also reset the jumper pin, however I'm still not getting any output from the display outputs.

Please help :/ 
Score
September 13, 2012 3:22:12 AM

nobody? D: I don't want to lose hope yet!
Score
September 13, 2012 3:44:48 AM

Could someone at least confirm if I'm totally helpless or not?
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 13, 2012 3:46:09 AM

Get rid of any GPu and boot from the onboard via d-sub or vga.
Score
September 13, 2012 3:53:16 AM

That's my problem though -
I can't boot from onboard via d-sub or vga - they don't put out any output.

Also, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the help. This is frustrating me a lot and I appreciate any help towards fixing this as possible.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 13, 2012 4:02:52 AM

if your mobo has another pcie x16 slot try changing the slots.. did you reinstall the drivers for the new card or just took out the old one and put in the new one ?
Score
September 13, 2012 4:11:40 AM

mohit9206 said:
if your mobo has another pcie x16 slot try changing the slots.. did you reinstall the drivers for the new card or just took out the old one and put in the new one ?

First, I installed my new power supply. That worked fine.
Then I installed the new card. I did not install any new drivers for it.
Now, neither the new card or the old card's outputs work, although the fans on them still go and I THINK the card is running when I turn on the power for the computer,
and the outputs that are on the motherboard do not work either.
Also, my motherboard only has one pcie x16 slot :/ 

Thanks for the help :)  You have no idea how much I appreciate it.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 13, 2012 6:11:17 AM

Hmmm, is everything connected properly? 24 and 4/8 pin firmly plugged in?
Score
September 13, 2012 1:01:07 PM

Sorry, I went to bed.
Yes, everything's connected properly. I feel like the problem is my mobo- upon startup there are no beeps and none of the "graphic" outputs work.

Any input on this?
Score
!