• GPUs
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics Cards
September 12, 2012 10:03:08 PM

Hi everyone,
i am building a new mostly gaming pc

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: first week of october 2012

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: GW2 - FPS ....

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: will be 9800gt green ed. until i buy the new gpu - psu will be corsair AX 1200i

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
case: Cm Storm Stryker
win7 pro 64
i7 3770k
asus Maximus v formula z77/thunderfx
16gb corsair dominator platinum 1600mhz
ssd crucial m4 256gb or new corsair neutron 256gb
corsair H100 for now until i decide to go full watercooling

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: i will buy at my retail store near me but links are welcome
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: montreal canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: working parts is always a plus :) 

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: nope lol

REMEMBER: The more information we have about your system, your budget, and what you're using the card for, the better the advice we can give you - providing it up front gets you your answers and puts a card in your hands that much faster!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
when i was picking my parts i was going for the GTX 670 but was waiting the reviews and pricing of the 660TI
i saw Tom's Review of the 660TI and what i saw with the directcompute benchmark got me worried a lot
first i want the 400$+ card to be able to run the new games for at least 2 years maybe longer with tweaking the graphic game option....
so now im thinking of the 7970 since direct compute seem to go well on them and if new games go for that
then would be win win situation

questions:
should i be concern about directcompute ? it's the only thing stopping me from getting a gtx 670

thx for reading this long post and looking forward to see your answers

More about : gpu question directcompute

Best solution

a c 168 U Graphics card
September 12, 2012 10:27:22 PM

It's hard to say what will happen with the future of games. There are a couple of games that do use GPU compute out right now: Dirt3, and Metro 2033. Whether GPU compute will catch on with game developers is the big question. We simply don't know. If it does catch on, then the 600 series nvidia cards will choke on games that make use of it. If GPU compute doesn't see a lot of use in games, then it won't matter.

I guess it comes down to whether you are willing to spend a little more for the 7970, and which games you play. If you are only going to be playing games that very heavily favour nvidia, you might as well get the 670, and pray that GPU compute doesn't take off within the next couple of years. If your games perform about even on AMD and nvidia or favour AMD, I'd say get the 7970, that way you do have a card with GPU compute capabilities if it does indeed take off.
September 13, 2012 1:38:39 PM

Supernova1138 said:
It's hard to say what will happen with the future of games. There are a couple of games that do use GPU compute out right now: Dirt3, and Metro 2033. Whether GPU compute will catch on with game developers is the big question. We simply don't know. If it does catch on, then the 600 series nvidia cards will choke on games that make use of it. If GPU compute doesn't see a lot of use in games, then it won't matter.

I guess it comes down to whether you are willing to spend a little more for the 7970, and which games you play. If you are only going to be playing games that very heavily favour nvidia, you might as well get the 670, and pray that GPU compute doesn't take off within the next couple of years. If your games perform about even on AMD and nvidia or favour AMD, I'd say get the 7970, that way you do have a card with GPU compute capabilities if it does indeed take off.

ya i wish i had a crystal ball right now hehe
my last pc build is like 5-7 years old :S
so i didnt have the cpu/gpu power to play recent games - do you know a website where theres some kind of game list with the gpu they favor so i could browse tru titles and check them out - i have looked but no luck so far

right now i am playing Guild Wars 2
i am interested in Sniper Elite V2 i think this game has some gpu compute in it

m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 168 U Graphics card
September 13, 2012 4:42:52 PM

You can google graphics card benchmarks for those games and see if there are some that compare nvidia and AMD cards.

Looking at the Tom's Hardware benchmarks for Guild Wars 2, AMD and nvidia seem to be about even with that game when comparing their $400 cards, with the GTX 670 pulling slightly ahead of the 7970 at 1680x1050, and the 7970 pulling ever so slightly ahead of the 670 at 1080p. You'll get good framerates either way.
m
l
September 14, 2012 8:24:07 PM

Supernova1138 said:
You can google graphics card benchmarks for those games and see if there are some that compare nvidia and AMD cards.

Looking at the Tom's Hardware benchmarks for Guild Wars 2, AMD and nvidia seem to be about even with that game when comparing their $400 cards, with the GTX 670 pulling slightly ahead of the 7970 at 1680x1050, and the 7970 pulling ever so slightly ahead of the 670 at 1080p. You'll get good framerates either way.

HI,

ok i think im gonna go with radeon 7970 i can get the asus dcuiit or the saphire oc other manufacturer i would have to order online or maybe i could grab 1 orrrrrrrrrr 2 7870/7850 for half the price and wait until the new gpu comes out then put the 1 of the 7870/7850 in my HTPC hmmmm

any idea when the new gpu will start to show up ? probably next summerish....
what would be best 1x 7970 or 2x 7870/7850 would be like 50$ difference for 2 cards

i have never done sli/crossfire

thx for the help reaLLY APPRECIATE IT

m
l
a c 168 U Graphics card
September 14, 2012 8:39:59 PM

It's usually better to just go with the more powerful single card. You can get more raw performance with 2 7870s, but SLI/Crossfire setups are more prone to driver problems, spotty game support, and microstuttering problems. You may also need a new power supply as the power requirements for dual GPUs will be higher. In any case, for 1080p multi GPU setups like to 7870s do tend to be overkill unless you really, really want to max out Metro 2033, or turn Ubersampling on in Witcher 2.

As for the next generation of graphics cards, we may see something from AMD early next year. Nvidia will probably be a bit later, as launching new cards early next year would just kill the sales of their recently released midrange Geforce products. Nobody would buy them if better stuff was just around the corner in a few months.
m
l
September 17, 2012 4:35:48 AM

Supernova1138 said:
It's usually better to just go with the more powerful single card. You can get more raw performance with 2 7870s, but SLI/Crossfire setups are more prone to driver problems, spotty game support, and microstuttering problems. You may also need a new power supply as the power requirements for dual GPUs will be higher. In any case, for 1080p multi GPU setups like to 7870s do tend to be overkill unless you really, really want to max out Metro 2033, or turn Ubersampling on in Witcher 2.

As for the next generation of graphics cards, we may see something from AMD early next year. Nvidia will probably be a bit later, as launching new cards early next year would just kill the sales of their recently released midrange Geforce products. Nobody would buy them if better stuff was just around the corner in a few months.

Hi Again sorry took so long to respond was checking reviews - benchmark....
ok so i decided to redo my future build (probably this friday) instead of the 3770k ill be going with 3570k
since Haswell should be coming around the end 2013-2014 new GPU will too at some point so i've decided to go with the less pricy build (so far saving 400$+ in my first post is what i was gonna use)
so here it is:

Case is the CM Storm Stryker (bought it 2 weeks ago)
- I5-3570K
- CORSAIR H100 (i like the Noctua NHd14 also but i dont think it will fit with the mem heights and i like the memory lol)
- CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 1600MHZ 4X4 16GIG (ya i know 8 is enought but ya)
- CORSAIR AX-850 ( i could probably go fo 650 or 750 and save another 50-75$ but i want room)
- Crucial M4 256gb SSD + 2 WD green 2TB fro storage (got 1 already but its full)
- WIN7 pro 64 OEM
- GPU: HMMM i heard a new price cut is coming from AMD so ill wait for that a little but 7870-7950-7970 are on my radar
- MOBO im looking at:
--- ASROCK Z77 EXTREME4/6
--- GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H WIFI
--- ASUS MAXIMUS V GENE Z77(micro atx :/ )

i would like bluetooth on it but i could do without :S
any mobo you can recommend ? around 200-250 or less would be great - i don't think i will Overclock but i want the possibility to do it if i decide to

ok i typed enought

again thx for everything
m
l
a c 168 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 12:40:41 AM

Those are all good motherboards, you'll be able to overclock decently with any of them. I'd say choose based either on price, or if you particularly want a certain feature that the other boards lack like built in WiFi, or eSATA port, or something like that. MicroATX is okay, it will work the same as a full ATX board, you just get fewer expansion slots. If you don't plan on getting any expansion cards aside from a video card (or two) then its okay, but full ATX does offer more flexibility if you want to add on something like a Sound Card, or Wireless Card later on.
m
l
September 23, 2012 2:18:14 PM

Best answer selected by STF0316.
m
l