Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Travelling with electronics

Last response: in Systems
November 8, 2012 11:09:24 PM

i didn't really know where else to put this but i just wanted to know if there will be any problems with airport security if i travel with electronic components such as cpu's, motherboards etc.

alos wanted to know if all the computer components necessary for building a pc will fit in a standard carry on bag (not including case).

p.s. i am planning on transporting the parts from Canada to Mexico.

if the parts matter here is a list of them

Motherboard: ASRock z77 EXTREME 4M

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k

CPU cooler: NH-D14

Graphics card: XFX AMD Radeon HD7770 1GB

Memory:G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)

Storage: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe MKNSSDCR240GB-DX 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Power supply: KINGWIN Lazer Platinum Series LZP-550 550W ATX 12V v2.2

Fans: 3x120mm noctuas and 1x 200mm corsair fan

Extras: LG Electronics 10X Blu-Ray SATA Writer

More about : travelling electronics

Best solution

November 8, 2012 11:20:57 PM

Probably not, but it's always best to remember that part of the TSA training process is to surgically remove the sense of humor in agents. So, what you probably want to do is ask the person who checks your boarding pass and ID that you have a bunch of electronic components and what would he suggest you do to make the process as smooth as possible. They will probably have you talk to some other agent who monitors the bins you put your shoes and other things into, so have a 10-15 second long story ready to explain the situation.

The basic theme here is to be the one going to them, and explaining the situation, rather than waiting until the bag is going through the x-ray scanner and someone gets jumpy.

An even better idea would probably be to just pack everything up into a box, ship it off via FedEx or UPS so that it'll arrive in Mexico around the same time as you. While all the components MAY fit inside a carry on bag, they won't let you keep the bag on your lap. It'll have to either go under the seat in front of you or one of the overhead bins. In either scenario, there's an excellent chance of something getting damaged.
November 9, 2012 12:47:47 PM

Best answer selected by osamabinpwnn.
!