Aluminum v. Plastic Cases in New Build

G

Friends,

My first build in a long time is this:

Xp 1800 or 1900
MSI version NForce 420 (one site on pricewatch says they get boards next week)
512 meg DDR Ram
WD 600 BB HD
CD Burner
DVD-ROM,
No overclocking at first, but as time goes on....
My first thought was to get an Antec 635sx, I like the size, the extra case fans, and the 350 Antec Power supply at about $100 (US).

Now, I have seen some great Lan Li cases, esp. the 65 (Mid Tower ATX with clear side panel). To put a PSU in means it is about $200 more for the Lan Li than the Antec.

Is it worth it, or not? Is it just a difference of taste and wallet size, or is the Lan Li worth the extra cash?

Does Lan Li make a smaller case about the size of the 635sx?

Are their any cheaper alternatives than the models mentioned above?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sincerely,

John Kay

We hold these truths to be self-evident...

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a Lian Li PC 60. Lian Li makes great case. It worth every penny.

Lian Li have smaller case but it is better to have a large case. A large case is easier to work with and provides room for future expension.

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
I think you'll find that everyone here will rave about the Lian-Li cases. If you go down the topic list, you'll find many threads on cases and most of them end in saying Lian-Li cases are worth every penny. I don't know what currency you're talking about when you state that the Lian-Li is $200 more than an Antec, but in US dollars, Lian-Li PC-60 cases can be found for $145. I own one, and I will never buy anything else.

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --

G

Just one correction:

Obviously the sx635 is not plastic, the face on the front of the box is. That's what happens when your brain is not engaged when your fingers are typing.

John

G

Thanks for the note!

The Lan Li case and most PSU's are not $200 more than the Antec, but when you put a PC Power and Cooling 425 watt PSU in it gets close. That was the type of PSU I would put in it if I had to put one in.

John

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
I'm running the Lian-Li PC-60 with the stock fans on medium, and an Enermax 465-Watt dual-fan PSU. The case stays nice and cool. I'm sure that would work well for your system also. My case and PSU cost me $230.

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I used to built my computers with PC Power and Cooling PSU but now I use ENERMAX. ENERMAX are very high quality and a lot cheaper than PC Power and Cooling.

G

Hello Again!

If Enermax is as good as you say, and I have seen plenty of other folks say so, then let me ask:

I would like as quiet, powerful PSU from these guys, at least 350 watts. Any suggestions as to the best quiet model?

John