How future proof is my setup?

Pilman

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
I am not a huge gamer but I do download games from steam every now and then.

Intel i3 2120 3.3 ghz sandy bridge
8 gigs DDR 3 g.skill 1600 memory
Biostar tz77b motherboard
Xfx 6870 video card 1 gig
Antec neo Eco 620 watt psu
Corsair series 3 90 gig solid state drive
Antec 300 illusion case

I built this a few months ago as a budget build and was recommended amd over intel. I have been satisfied with the games I have played, so far I have ran mirrors edge in full settings, gta iv runs well unless the draw distance is set to max, also sleeping dogs runs well on high settings with everything maxed out unless I change the AA to maximum or ultra settings then it does start to lag but getting about 35 to 40 fps and the graphics are beautiful. I want to get the new assassins creed coming out soon as well as the new sim city 2013 and arma 3 once it is released.

While most games seem to run fine with being almost maxed out, I can see with future games where this could begin to turn into a issue where even upgrading the video card could end up still bottle necking me in the future due to the processor. At this point is it safe to say this processor should at least 2 to 3 more years or would it be safer to just upgrade to an i5 processor and cut my losses? Also any suggestions if crossfire would be an option with another 6870?

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I'll put it like this, for a majority of the games today, you have a balanced system. Give it like 3 years more, and your GPU will probably start to chug depending on how demanding you are on game settings but your CPU will show its age more so with a higher number of software utilizing more and more cores finally. Crossfire is always a consideration but you only have 1 gig of vRAM. Crossfiring will still give you a limitation of a necessary larger buffer if you look back at this option down the road in a couple of years. By then, 2 gigs would more than likely be the old mainstream.