Best Memory & SSD for a Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe?

amarkscpa

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
What is best bang for the buck for memory on a Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe?

Below is Newegg comparison using Asus Quarlified Vendor list for this MB, 16GB.
http://tinyurl.com/b2h2g9k
Any opinion on G.Skil memory?

Also looking for recommendation on a 240GB or 256GB SSD internal drive.

Thanks for any help/recommendations.

Poltregeist

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
Well as for memory I recommend the Ares series from G.SKILL as they are low profile and are compatible with just about all aftermarket CPU coolers. Another is the Corsair Vengeance LP. Also very universally compatible. For the SSD, you can't beat a Samsung. They just released their new 840 series.

first of everything, dont bother with the deluxe board. a gigabyte z77x-ud5h which is a lot cheaper has about the same features

and what are you doing with 16gb of ram? video editing? if not, get 8

oh and get this ram. the compatable memory list isnt worth looking at if you ask me since all memory would work as long as its ddr3

heres the ram. 2x8 is much better than 4x4. less strain on CPU memory controller
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KRZYH4/?tag=pcpapi-20

amarkscpa

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
For the SSD, would you go with the Samsung 840 or 830?

In regard to G.SKILL Ares series, does not appear to be on qualified vendor list for the Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe MB:
http://support.asus.com/download/download_item_ftype.aspx?f_type=34&slanguage=en-us&model=P8Z77-V DELUXE
Am I reading too much into this Qualified Vendor List? That is, certain other memory will work on this board than what is listed? When I read through problems others have had with installing memory for this Asus P8Z77 Deluxe board, thought I had better play it safe and stick with Qualified Vendor...? Comments?

Poltregeist

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

Any DDR3 memory works with any motherboard with DDR3 slots. And yes you are :p It's personal preference (and price wise) whether to go between the 830 or 840. The write and read speed vary between models so just pick. Both are very reliable and fast. And with the qualified vendor stuff, most likely they are some way paying Asus to list them so they get more business.

amarkscpa

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

Thanks for your comment on the compatible memory list not being very useful. Was wondering about that, see above post.

So you think the Kingston HyperX RAM is good value...? What do you think of this Kingston HyperX RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104313&Tpk=khx24c11k4
I run 3 monitors and have 10 or more applications open frequently throughout the day, requiring frequent multi-tasking. Also, need 2nd graphics card for third monitor.

Poltregeist

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

That's a pretty nice setup. The board can handle it but it is really necessary (2400 RAM). You won't see a considerable difference unless you are doing video processing and such. Just go with 1600 RAM and save yourself $80. As for the HyperX, I have heard good things but no personal experience. Another popular brand is the Corsair Vengeance. If the normal size doesn't fit, then the only difference with their low profile (LP) RAM is no heat spreaders. This makes really no difference though.

amarkscpa

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

Thanks for that info, guess I was reading too much into that Qualified Vendor List... But reading through the comments of people building using Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe MB, seems like VERY MANY were having problem with the Memory not registering the top speed of the DDR3, it would default to lower speed. With this P8Z77-V Deluxe MB, you can set to overclock, and was thus desiring XMP (Intel Extreme Memory Profile) memory. Any opinion on XMP feature...?

Poltregeist

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
Not too familiar with XMP, but I know why it defaults. The reason behind this is the motherboard is preset to accept a max RAM. You can increase this in BIOS though. So not a problem at all :)

amarkscpa

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

Yes, the Corsair Vengeance was on the list:
http://tinyurl.com/b2h2g9k
And based on your comments: "You won't see a considerable difference unless you are doing video processing and such", think this may well be the best option. It is on Qualified Vendor List, has XMP, and is cheap...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233236

amarkscpa

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

Here is the gist of XMP, seems right up my alley..:
XMP Memory Profile for simple, safe overclocking.

Vengeance memory supports the Intel XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) standard, and each module is individually factory-programmed with an XMP profile indicating supported timing, frequency and voltages. Just enable XMP on your compatible motherboard and you'll automatically get optimized memory overclocking without having to deal with multiple BIOS settings. Of course, if you're an experienced overclocker — or an aspiring one — you can adjust the settings to push for even higher performance.

Poltregeist

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

Do you have an aftermarket CPU cooler? If so those heat spreaders might conflict.

amarkscpa

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

Here are system components I was thinking of now:
*Rosewill BlackHawk ATX Mid Tower Case
*Rosewill Stallion RD600 ATX12V V2.3 SLI/CrossFire Ready Power Supply
*Rosewill RCX-Z90-CP 62.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
*Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
*Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
*Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
*Uspeed USB 3.0 & eSATA to SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station

Still need to make up mind on SDD, likely a Samsung 830 or 840.
(The HD Docking Station connects to special connection on BlackHawk case)
Any suggestions on CPU Cooler would be appreciated.

Poltregeist

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

You can never go wrong with a Notcua NH-D14, Thermalright Silver Arrow, or a Phanteks PH-TC14PE.

amarkscpa

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

Thanks for your rec on: CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB), I see this is XMP, which is great. Ok, here are my 2 questions on all the 2 x 8 GB for the Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE:
1) Why are not any 2x8 GB boards not on the Asus Qualified Vendor List? http://support.asus.com/download/d [...] el=P8Z77-V
2) I am using i7-3770K 3.5 Quad-Core ProcessorQuad Core Processor, so does this mean 4 DDR3 RAM is best (i.e. Quad to Quad)
3) Your CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB rec on Newegg Specs state: Multi-channel Kit - Dual Channel Kit
while the 4x4 GB Newegg Specs state: Multi-channel Kit - Quad Channel Kit
So I am thinking go with the 4x4, which is Quad to Quad, and maybe this is why there are no 2x8 DDR3 on the Vendor List.

Any thoughts/comments on this...?

Poltregeist

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

I cannot access the mobo page right now, but the page should say whether it supports dual or quad channel RAM. So if your dual channel kit is what you want, make sure this isn't a quad channel mobo. Otherwise you need a quad 4x4GB kit.

amarkscpa

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

That is what I am trying to figure out.

The Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE MB Specs state: Channel Supported-Dual Channel
The Intel i7-3770K Ivy Processor Specs state: Multi-Core - Quad-Core

And based upon above, I want to know what the best memory options are...
I go to the Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE Qualified Vendor List:
http://tinyurl.com/ay8hc3q
And I note that all Qualified products are 4x4GB or 4x8GB or 2x4GB, etc. There are NO 2x8GB approved products. Why is that?

The CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) on Newegg Specs state: Multi-channel Kit - Dual Channel Kit
The CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) on Newegg Specs state: Multi-channel Kit - Quad Channel Kit

Thus, I am thinking/assuming that Quad Channel Memory is the best for the Quad Core i7/3770 and Dual Channel P8Z77-V DELUXE MB, based solely on the Qualified Vendor List... Especially since the price difference is not that much...

bigbasedrum

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
Also correct me if I'm wrong, but the memory sticks don't care how many channels they run on. Because you can run a dual channel memory kit with only one stick and it won't give problems. It probably only says it's quad channel because there are 4 sticks. The full ATX Z77 boards typically have four ram slots, with each same-coloured slot seen as one channel. So if you hve four slots, with two blue and two black, the first black slot and the first blue slot is one channel. So even if you fill all four slots, you're still only running in dual channel mode. At least that's how I understand it.

Lroy

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

Your CPU supports Dual Channel memory You would need a 2011 socket CPU to support Quad Channel memory.

amarkscpa

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

The i7-3770K 3.5 Quad-Core Processor Socket Specs are: CPU Socket : TypeLGA 1155
This CPU is on the Qualified Vendor List for the Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE, a dual channel MB.