Sign in with
Your question

Best Memory & SSD for a Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe?

Last response: in Systems
November 9, 2012 12:32:20 AM

What is best bang for the buck for memory on a Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe?

Below is Newegg comparison using Asus Quarlified Vendor list for this MB, 16GB.
http://tinyurl.com/b2h2g9k
Any opinion on G.Skil memory?

Also looking for recommendation on a 240GB or 256GB SSD internal drive.

Thanks for any help/recommendations.

November 9, 2012 12:40:24 AM

Well as for memory I recommend the Ares series from G.SKILL as they are low profile and are compatible with just about all aftermarket CPU coolers. Another is the Corsair Vengeance LP. Also very universally compatible. For the SSD, you can't beat a Samsung. They just released their new 840 series.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
November 9, 2012 1:02:18 AM

first of everything, dont bother with the deluxe board. a gigabyte z77x-ud5h which is a lot cheaper has about the same features

and what are you doing with 16gb of ram? video editing? if not, get 8

oh and get this ram. the compatable memory list isnt worth looking at if you ask me since all memory would work as long as its ddr3

heres the ram. 2x8 is much better than 4x4. less strain on CPU memory controller
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KRZYH4/?tag=pcpapi-20
m
l
Related resources
November 9, 2012 1:38:26 AM

For the SSD, would you go with the Samsung 840 or 830?

In regard to G.SKILL Ares series, does not appear to be on qualified vendor list for the Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe MB:
http://support.asus.com/download/download_item_ftype.as... DELUXE
Am I reading too much into this Qualified Vendor List? That is, certain other memory will work on this board than what is listed? When I read through problems others have had with installing memory for this Asus P8Z77 Deluxe board, thought I had better play it safe and stick with Qualified Vendor...? Comments?
m
l
November 9, 2012 1:42:55 AM

amarkscpa said:
For the SSD, would you go with the Samsung 840 or 830?

In regard to G.SKILL Ares series, does not appear to be on qualified vendor list for the Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe MB:
http://support.asus.com/download/download_item_ftype.as... DELUXE
Am I reading too much into this Qualified Vendor List? That is, certain other memory will work on this board than what is listed? When I read through problems others have had with installing memory for this Asus P8Z77 Deluxe board, thought I had better play it safe and stick with Qualified Vendor...? Comments?

Any DDR3 memory works with any motherboard with DDR3 slots. And yes you are :p  It's personal preference (and price wise) whether to go between the 830 or 840. The write and read speed vary between models so just pick. Both are very reliable and fast. And with the qualified vendor stuff, most likely they are some way paying Asus to list them so they get more business.
m
l
November 9, 2012 1:48:29 AM

TheBigTroll said:
first of everything, dont bother with the deluxe board. a gigabyte z77x-ud5h which is a lot cheaper has about the same features

and what are you doing with 16gb of ram? video editing? if not, get 8

oh and get this ram. the compatable memory list isnt worth looking at if you ask me since all memory would work as long as its ddr3

heres the ram. 2x8 is much better than 4x4. less strain on CPU memory controller
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KRZYH4/?tag=pcpapi-20

Thanks for your comment on the compatible memory list not being very useful. Was wondering about that, see above post.

So you think the Kingston HyperX RAM is good value...? What do you think of this Kingston HyperX RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I run 3 monitors and have 10 or more applications open frequently throughout the day, requiring frequent multi-tasking. Also, need 2nd graphics card for third monitor.
m
l
November 9, 2012 1:57:19 AM

amarkscpa said:
Thanks for your comment on the compatible memory list not being very useful. Was wondering about that, see above post.

So you think the Kingston HyperX RAM is good value...? What do you think of this Kingston HyperX RAM:
I run 3 monitors and have 10 or more applications open frequently throughout the day, requiring frequent multi-tasking. Also, need 2nd graphics card for third monitor.

That's a pretty nice setup. The board can handle it but it is really necessary (2400 RAM). You won't see a considerable difference unless you are doing video processing and such. Just go with 1600 RAM and save yourself $80. As for the HyperX, I have heard good things but no personal experience. Another popular brand is the Corsair Vengeance. If the normal size doesn't fit, then the only difference with their low profile (LP) RAM is no heat spreaders. This makes really no difference though.
m
l
November 9, 2012 2:01:35 AM

Poltregeist said:
Any DDR3 memory works with any motherboard with DDR3 slots. And yes you are :p  It's personal preference (and price wise) whether to go between the 830 or 840. The write and read speed vary between models so just pick. Both are very reliable and fast. And with the qualified vendor stuff, most likely they are some way paying Asus to list them so they get more business.

Thanks for that info, guess I was reading too much into that Qualified Vendor List... But reading through the comments of people building using Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe MB, seems like VERY MANY were having problem with the Memory not registering the top speed of the DDR3, it would default to lower speed. With this P8Z77-V Deluxe MB, you can set to overclock, and was thus desiring XMP (Intel Extreme Memory Profile) memory. Any opinion on XMP feature...?
m
l
November 9, 2012 2:05:48 AM

Not too familiar with XMP, but I know why it defaults. The reason behind this is the motherboard is preset to accept a max RAM. You can increase this in BIOS though. So not a problem at all :) 
m
l
November 9, 2012 2:11:21 AM

Poltregeist said:
That's a pretty nice setup. The board can handle it but it is really necessary (2400 RAM). You won't see a considerable difference unless you are doing video processing and such. Just go with 1600 RAM and save yourself $80. As for the HyperX, I have heard good things but no personal experience. Another popular brand is the Corsair Vengeance. If the normal size doesn't fit, then the only difference with their low profile (LP) RAM is no heat spreaders. This makes really no difference though.

Yes, the Corsair Vengeance was on the list:
And based on your comments: "You won't see a considerable difference unless you are doing video processing and such", think this may well be the best option. It is on Qualified Vendor List, has XMP, and is cheap...
m
l
November 9, 2012 2:14:42 AM

Poltregeist said:
Not too familiar with XMP, but I know why it defaults. The reason behind this is the motherboard is preset to accept a max RAM. You can increase this in BIOS though. So not a problem at all :) 

Here is the gist of XMP, seems right up my alley..:
XMP Memory Profile for simple, safe overclocking.

Vengeance memory supports the Intel XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) standard, and each module is individually factory-programmed with an XMP profile indicating supported timing, frequency and voltages. Just enable XMP on your compatible motherboard and you'll automatically get optimized memory overclocking without having to deal with multiple BIOS settings. Of course, if you're an experienced overclocker — or an aspiring one — you can adjust the settings to push for even higher performance.
m
l
November 9, 2012 2:17:30 AM

amarkscpa said:
Yes, the Corsair Vengeance was on the list:
And based on your comments: "You won't see a considerable difference unless you are doing video processing and such", think this may well be the best option. It is on Qualified Vendor List, has XMP, and is cheap...

Do you have an aftermarket CPU cooler? If so those heat spreaders might conflict.
m
l
November 9, 2012 2:52:41 AM

Poltregeist said:
Do you have an aftermarket CPU cooler? If so those heat spreaders might conflict.

Here are system components I was thinking of now:
*Rosewill BlackHawk ATX Mid Tower Case
*Rosewill Stallion RD600 ATX12V V2.3 SLI/CrossFire Ready Power Supply
*Rosewill RCX-Z90-CP 62.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
*Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
*Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
*Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
*Uspeed USB 3.0 & eSATA to SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station

Still need to make up mind on SDD, likely a Samsung 830 or 840.
(The HD Docking Station connects to special connection on BlackHawk case)
Any suggestions on CPU Cooler would be appreciated.
m
l
November 9, 2012 2:58:06 AM

amarkscpa said:
Here are system components I was thinking of now:
*Rosewill BlackHawk ATX Mid Tower Case
*Rosewill Stallion RD600 ATX12V V2.3 SLI/CrossFire Ready Power Supply
*Rosewill RCX-Z90-CP 62.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
*Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
*Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
*Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
*Uspeed USB 3.0 & eSATA to SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station

Still need to make up mind on SDD, likely a Samsung 830 or 840.
(The HD Docking Station connects to special connection on BlackHawk case)
Any suggestions on CPU Cooler would be appreciated.

You can never go wrong with a Notcua NH-D14, Thermalright Silver Arrow, or a Phanteks PH-TC14PE.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
November 9, 2012 3:04:00 AM

Noctua NH-D14
* THERMALRIGHT SILVER ARROW
* PHANTEKS PH-TC14PE
* COOLER MASTER V6
* Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme
m
l
November 9, 2012 3:06:18 AM

bigcyco1 said:
These will work

RAM:CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML16GX3M2A1600C10

RAM:Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 997069

Thanks for your rec on: CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB), I see this is XMP, which is great. Ok, here are my 2 questions on all the 2 x 8 GB for the Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE:
1) Why are not any 2x8 GB boards not on the Asus Qualified Vendor List? http://support.asus.com/download/d [...] el=P8Z77-V
2) I am using i7-3770K 3.5 Quad-Core ProcessorQuad Core Processor, so does this mean 4 DDR3 RAM is best (i.e. Quad to Quad)
3) Your CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB rec on Newegg Specs state: Multi-channel Kit - Dual Channel Kit
while the 4x4 GB Newegg Specs state: Multi-channel Kit - Quad Channel Kit
So I am thinking go with the 4x4, which is Quad to Quad, and maybe this is why there are no 2x8 DDR3 on the Vendor List.

Any thoughts/comments on this...?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
November 9, 2012 3:12:19 AM

I have no idea why it's not on the Vendor List i once ask jj from asus that question and he responded we can't possibly list them all lol which i found odd sure they can but whatever.
m
l
November 9, 2012 3:16:27 AM

amarkscpa said:
Thanks for your rec on: CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB), I see this is XMP, which is great. Ok, here are my 2 questions on all the 2 x 8 GB for the Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE:
1) Why are not any 2x8 GB boards not on the Asus Qualified Vendor List? http://support.asus.com/download/d [...] el=P8Z77-V
2) I am using i7-3770K 3.5 Quad-Core ProcessorQuad Core Processor, so does this mean 4 DDR3 RAM is best (i.e. Quad to Quad)
3) Your CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB rec on Newegg Specs state: Multi-channel Kit - Dual Channel Kit
So I am thinking go with the 4x4, which is Quad to Quad, and maybe this is why there are no 2x8 DDR3 on the Vendor List.

I cannot access the mobo page right now, but the page should say whether it supports dual or quad channel RAM. So if your dual channel kit is what you want, make sure this isn't a quad channel mobo. Otherwise you need a quad 4x4GB kit.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
November 9, 2012 3:17:13 AM

I suppose you can call asus support and ask why though i don't know what good will come of it at least you know for sure it be interesting if you got a different answer then me lol.
m
l
November 9, 2012 3:31:17 AM

It's a Z77 board so it'll be dual channel :) 
m
l
November 9, 2012 3:36:47 AM

Poltregeist said:
I cannot access the mobo page right now, but the page should say whether it supports dual or quad channel RAM. So if your dual channel kit is what you want, make sure this isn't a quad channel mobo. Otherwise you need a quad 4x4GB kit.

That is what I am trying to figure out.

The Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE MB Specs state: Channel Supported-Dual Channel
The Intel i7-3770K Ivy Processor Specs state: Multi-Core - Quad-Core

And based upon above, I want to know what the best memory options are...
I go to the Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE Qualified Vendor List:
http://tinyurl.com/ay8hc3q
And I note that all Qualified products are 4x4GB or 4x8GB or 2x4GB, etc. There are NO 2x8GB approved products. Why is that?

The CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) on Newegg Specs state: Multi-channel Kit - Dual Channel Kit
The CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) on Newegg Specs state: Multi-channel Kit - Quad Channel Kit

Thus, I am thinking/assuming that Quad Channel Memory is the best for the Quad Core i7/3770 and Dual Channel P8Z77-V DELUXE MB, based solely on the Qualified Vendor List... Especially since the price difference is not that much...
m
l
November 9, 2012 3:36:58 AM

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but the memory sticks don't care how many channels they run on. Because you can run a dual channel memory kit with only one stick and it won't give problems. It probably only says it's quad channel because there are 4 sticks. The full ATX Z77 boards typically have four ram slots, with each same-coloured slot seen as one channel. So if you hve four slots, with two blue and two black, the first black slot and the first blue slot is one channel. So even if you fill all four slots, you're still only running in dual channel mode. At least that's how I understand it.
m
l
November 9, 2012 3:37:42 AM

amarkscpa said:

Your CPU supports Dual Channel memory You would need a 2011 socket CPU to support Quad Channel memory.
m
l
November 9, 2012 3:45:02 AM

Lroy said:
Your CPU supports Dual Channel memory You would need a 2011 socket CPU to support Quad Channel memory.

The i7-3770K 3.5 Quad-Core Processor Socket Specs are: CPU Socket : TypeLGA 1155
This CPU is on the Qualified Vendor List for the Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE, a dual channel MB.

m
l
November 9, 2012 3:45:55 AM

Here's what my experience has taught me. I have an Asus Z77-V Pro, very similar to yours. Get whatever RAM you want, in any configuration and size you want. So long as it's 1600 MHz RAM and not more than 4 sticks of RAM. Also, recommend at least 2 sticks of RAM, and from a quality vendor (Corsair, G.Skill, Kingston). If you get two sticks, put them in the two blue slots, if you get four sticks, fill the slots :D . Most probably the board will default to 1200 MHz. This isn't an issue though, just go into the BIOS and set it to 1600 MHz and then everything will be fine! :D 
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
November 9, 2012 3:50:59 AM

bigbasedrum said:
Here's what my experience has taught me. I have an Asus Z77-V Pro, very similar to yours. Get whatever RAM you want, in any configuration and size you want. So long as it's 1600 MHz RAM and not more than 4 sticks of RAM. Also, recommend at least 2 sticks of RAM, and from a quality vendor (Corsair, G.Skill, Kingston). If you get two sticks, put them in the two blue slots, if you get four sticks, fill the slots :D . Most probably the board will default to 1200 MHz. This isn't an issue though, just go into the BIOS and set it to 1600 MHz and then everything will be fine! :D 
+1
m
l
November 9, 2012 3:57:03 AM

bigbasedrum said:
Here's what my experience has taught me. I have an Asus Z77-V Pro, very similar to yours. Get whatever RAM you want, in any configuration and size you want. So long as it's 1600 MHz RAM and not more than 4 sticks of RAM. Also, recommend at least 2 sticks of RAM, and from a quality vendor (Corsair, G.Skill, Kingston). If you get two sticks, put them in the two blue slots, if you get four sticks, fill the slots ;)  :D . Most probably the board will default to 1200 MHz. This isn't an issue though, just go into the BIOS and set it to 1600 MHz and then everything will be fine! :D 

Well thanks for that info! ;) 
I have a better idea, wait for Black Friday deals, and decide then :D 
But if the price differential is not that great between Qualified Vendor List and not on the list, I will choose the Qualified Vendor List. Also, I do want XMP memory so I only have to change those default settings to XMP, "just enable XMP on your compatible motherboard and you'll automatically get optimized memory overclocking". Did you get XMP memory for your Asus Z77-V Pro?

m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
November 9, 2012 9:35:54 AM

dude, im telling you not to get the z77-v deluxe. its a rip off for what it provides. the z77-v pro is a much better choice

any ram works. gskill, mushkin, patriot, corsair, crucial all will work fine. if you are using kingston, use the 1.5v or lower variety

xmp isnt that useful to me but msot ram has it. the brands i listed for sure have it

for a heatsink, look at the noctua nh-d14
m
l
November 9, 2012 5:13:43 PM

TheBigTroll said:
dude, im telling you not to get the z77-v deluxe. its a rip off for what it provides. the z77-v pro is a much better choice

any ram works. gskill, mushkin, patriot, corsair, crucial all will work fine. if you are using kingston, use the 1.5v or lower variety

xmp isnt that useful to me but msot ram has it. the brands i listed for sure have it

When you say " z77-v pro", which do you mean:
http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item...
or this one:
http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item...
m
l
November 9, 2012 6:21:51 PM

Poltregeist said:
He means the first, less expensive board. The only difference between the 2 feature wise is that the more expensive variant ha a feature called Thunderbolt. This isn't worth the extra $50 right now since it is scarcely used.

Thanks, looking over the Asus specs for both MB:
1) under storage, Deluxe has additional Marvell PCIe 9128 controller
2) under LAN, Deluxe has additional Realtek 8111F Lan controller, has dual LAN 802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) appliance rating
3) Wireless, Deluxe Wi-Fi supports dual band
4) Audio, slightly different chip, Deluxe supports Blu-Ray Lossless sound
5) USB Ports slightly different, confusing..., best to look at boards
6) Deluxe has "Asus SSD Caching", while V-Pro apparently does not, NEED TO FIGURE THIS OUT!!, as I have SSD

Here are links, choose compare:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z7...
m
l
November 9, 2012 6:43:58 PM

amarkscpa said:
Thanks, looking over the Asus specs for both MB:
1) under storage, Deluxe has additional Marvell PCIe 9128 controller
2) under LAN, Deluxe has additional Realtek 8111F Lan controller, has dual LAN 802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) appliance rating
3) Wireless, Deluxe Wi-Fi supports dual band
4) Audio, slightly different chip, Deluxe supports Blu-Ray Lossless sound
5) USB Ports slightly different, confusing..., best to look at boards
6) Deluxe has "Asus SSD Caching", while V-Pro apparently does not, NEED TO FIGURE THIS OUT!!, as I have SSD

Here are links, choose compare:

Just go with the Pro. The features you listed don't really increase performance in any aspect. As for the extra controllers, not really that important as you will most likely very seldom use them.
m
l
November 9, 2012 7:05:02 PM

Poltregeist said:
Just go with the Pro. The features you listed don't really increase performance in any aspect. As for the extra controllers, not really that important as you will most likely very seldom use them.

I pretty much agree, EXCEPT for the Asus SSD Caching feature:
ASUS SSD Caching
3X Faster Performance at a Click
SSD Caching from ASUS is easier than ever. At 3X faster, this feature boosts system performance by using an installed SSD with no capacity limitations as a cache for frequently accessed data. Harness a combination of SSD-like performance and response and hard drive capacity with just one click, no rebooting needed and instant activation for complete ease of use, and even prevent data loss with included backup functionality.

Best I can tell, this option adds a 32GB SSD card to the Deluxe for caching.
m
l
November 9, 2012 7:18:34 PM

amarkscpa said:
I pretty much agree, EXCEPT for the Asus SSD Caching feature:
ASUS SSD Caching
SSD Caching from ASUS is easier than ever. At 3X faster, this feature boosts system performance by using an installed SSD with no capacity limitations as a cache for frequently accessed data. Harness a combination of SSD-like performance and response and hard drive capacity with just one click, no rebooting needed and instant activation for complete ease of use, and even prevent data loss with included backup functionality.

Eh. If you have the budget go for it. Otherwise it really is a waste of $50 that can be used on a better GPU.
m
l
November 9, 2012 7:30:42 PM

TheBigTroll said:

Could you comment on benefits of Asus Disk Caching, which appears to be the primary difference to me between the boards.

ASUS SSD Caching

Here is video on the subject:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhCGo0LWaTY&feature=rela...

A 32GB SSD retail price is $50 or more...
m
l
November 9, 2012 8:15:42 PM

Poltregeist said:
Eh. If you have the budget go for it. Otherwise it really is a waste of $50 that can be used on a better GPU.

Here is interesting thread on the subject of SSD Caching:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2261463
Many differring opinions on the subject...

The Asus video is a good starting point to see the SSD Caching software and SSD Caching in operation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhCGo0LWaTY&feature=rela...

I just purchased a Samsung 830 SSD and will have a 1.5 TB hard drive on my computer system, as well as HD Drive Docking Station for older HD/SSD drives.

FWIW, I am a CPA and need the past 8+ years of QuickBooks applications and the last 10+ years of Intuit ProSeries tax applications on my computer system. With the SSD Caching, I am wondering if speed/performance will improve if I put the most frequent applications on SSD Caching...? For example, current and prior year tax programs, the two most often used versions of Quickbooks, and also MS Excel and MS Word for SSD Caching... Hopefully, I can change this SSD Caching as new tax programs and QB applications come out...?
m
l
November 9, 2012 8:23:28 PM

Like I have been saying, the only good thing with SSD caching is that 32GB drive included. Use that as a boot drive and use your main SSD for everything else. Even if the performance increases are true, you won't be able to notice them. They will be minimally faster.
m
l
November 9, 2012 8:40:45 PM

SSD caching is what exactly? does it only come with certain motherboards like the asus product line. im getting an asus-v lk for myself and was wondering if i should get a 126GB SSD just so i can take advantage of the 32GB of ssd caching?
m
l
November 9, 2012 8:55:32 PM

pgerv said:
SSD caching is what exactly? does it only come with certain motherboards like the asus product line. im getting an asus-v lk for myself and was wondering if i should get a 126GB SSD just so i can take advantage of the 32GB of ssd caching?

Basically SSD caching (on this board) is described in the product description: "ASUS SSD Caching at a click for 3x faster performance." I believe this to be a bit exaggerated but most likely you won't notice the difference. I personally cannot tell whether it has a built-in 32GB SSD or it takes it from a separate SSD you buy. Either way it really doesn't seem too good.

m
l
November 9, 2012 9:02:18 PM

oh alright, so ill stick with the 500GB HDD and the 126 or even smaller SSD for OS and games.. *** i dont need much more than that if i wanna game. thanks for the reply
m
l
November 9, 2012 9:32:54 PM

pgerv said:
oh alright, so ill stick with the 500GB HDD and the 126 or even smaller SSD for OS and games.. *** i dont need much more than that if i wanna game. thanks for the reply

I guess your talking about a 128GB SSD, 126 is an unusual amount. If you are, try the Samsung 830 or 840. One of the best SSDs on the market.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
November 10, 2012 12:21:01 AM

1) under storage, Deluxe has additional Marvell PCIe 9128 controller (you shouldnt be connecting that many drives anyways. thats for raid controllers)
3) Wireless, Deluxe Wi-Fi supports dual band (a gigabyte ud5h board has that for 100 dollars less)
4) Audio, slightly different chip, Deluxe supports Blu-Ray Lossless sound (not useful. all onboard audio that isnt creative or asus xonar sounds the same)
5) USB Ports slightly different, confusing..., best to look at boards (look at a ud5h from gigabyte if you want connectiveity
6) Deluxe has "Asus SSD Caching", while V-Pro apparently does not, NEED TO FIGURE THIS OUT!!, as I have (Intel SRT which all boards have, is the same thing. just that you can cache 2 drives rather than one, which nobody does)

therefore either get the v-pro or get a gigabyte z77x-ud5h.
m
l
November 10, 2012 12:30:47 AM

TheBigTroll said:
1) under storage, Deluxe has additional Marvell PCIe 9128 controller (you shouldnt be connecting that many drives anyways. thats for raid controllers)
3) Wireless, Deluxe Wi-Fi supports dual band (a gigabyte ud5h board has that for 100 dollars less)
4) Audio, slightly different chip, Deluxe supports Blu-Ray Lossless sound (not useful. all onboard audio that isnt creative or asus xonar sounds the same)
5) USB Ports slightly different, confusing..., best to look at boards (look at a ud5h from gigabyte if you want connectiveity
6) Deluxe has "Asus SSD Caching", while V-Pro apparently does not, NEED TO FIGURE THIS OUT!!, as I have (Intel SRT which all boards have, is the same thing. just that you can cache 2 drives rather than one, which nobody does)

therefore either get the v-pro or get a gigabyte z77x-ud5h.

Talked to friend and we discussed the merits of each.

Am now leaning toward the ASUS P8Z77-V Pro as you suggest. FWIW, another difference is there is no eSata on the Pro while the Deluxe has eSata.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
November 10, 2012 12:36:07 AM

hmm... did i tell you about the gigabyte z77x-ud5h? because it has about everything you need

do you even use esata? can you even use all the IO that the motherboard provides? i personally use a asus z77-v LK and i cant use half of the back IO
m
l
November 10, 2012 2:55:35 AM

TheBigTroll said:
hmm... did i tell you about the gigabyte z77x-ud5h? because it has about everything you need

do you even use esata? can you even use all the IO that the motherboard provides? i personally use a asus z77-v LK and i cant use half of the back IO

My hard disk docking station uses both USB3 and esata, and I wanted to test out the speed using both connections, but USB is likely faster.

Looked at that gigabyte z77 board, but that version does not come with Wi-Fi, and the one that does is more expensive than the Asus Z77 Pro. Also, have generally always gone with Asus MB, and have always been satisfied.
m
l
November 10, 2012 9:34:39 AM

Poltregeist said:

OK, got one heck of a deal on the 16GB of RAM at Newegg for $59.99, on sale with $20 discount.
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL10D-16GBXLItem #: N82E16820231528

This 2 x 8GB is approved for Asus P8777V-Pro accoreding to G.SKILL website:
http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=456
In addition, Newegg user comments are all positive and Newegg has given it an IronEgg guarantee...

Now which of you guys told me that 16GB RAM was too much memory, well do you still think it's too much for $60 ==> under $4 per GB...? ;) 
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
November 10, 2012 10:36:36 AM

yeah. memory does nothing to increase performance by a lot on ivy bridge. only on trinity apus

16gb is overkill unless you work with video editing projects.

there is some crucial ballistix sport 2x4gb at newegg going for 29.99. approved ram means nothing. manufacturers cant test every ram stick.

wifi is irrelevant. seriously, just get one yourself. they are so cheap
m
l
!