What CAN'T Prime beat??

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf,alt.games.whitewolf.mage (More info?)

When you think about it, the ability to perceive and manipulate the
Primal Patterns and energies of other supernaturals is pretty
devastating. Are there any other supers who can even counter such an
attack? Any energy, such as Conviction or Faith, that cannot be
directly affected by Prime??

Dex

In the borning days of the third millennium, Hand-of-Omega wrote:
>When you think about it, the ability to perceive and manipulate the
>Primal Patterns and energies of other supernaturals is pretty
>devastating. Are there any other supers who can even counter such an
>attack? Any energy, such as Conviction or Faith, that cannot be
>directly affected by Prime??

At the most basic level, all things are composed of Prime. However,
manipulating reality at this level is difficult and requires extensive
training. Also, you still need the pattern spheres to _create_ things. You
can't cause a giant octopus to come into being using only Prime. You need
Life to give the raw Prime form.

Anything can be destroyed by cutting off the flow of Prime that gives it
being, but it is almost always easier to do the same thing using pattern
spheres. I'd much rather use Life 3 to attack someone than Prime 5.

Whether or not Conviction or Faith can be countered using Prime is a call for
the Storyteller. It could be argued that both are manifestations of the will
of higher beings. If this is so, non-deity level powers cannot overcome them.
I wouldn't allow it because allowing Mages to counter fundamental aspects of
the game.

--
Brian Merchant (remove 'remove' and 'example' from email)

Puritanism didn't keep the puritans from sinning, it just kept
them from enjoying it.
--Father Joe Breighner
Country Roads

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf,alt.games.whitewolf.mage (More info?)

> It is true that Prime 5 effects kick some serious butt, but they are Prime
> __5__ effects. You have to spend some serious time and energy to get to
that
> level. Plus, your difficulty for most of the effects is going to be 8 to
10.
> You'll get a lot more bang for your buck from pattern sphere effects.
>
> You can cause aggravated damage with other effects. With Life 3 you just
rip
> their innards apart. With Forces 3 you fry 'em. Etc. All of these are
much
> easier to accomplish than a Prime 5 effect.

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that Holy Sword of Light rote (create a
Lightsaber that's hugely vulgar and does Agg Damage) and simply throwing raw
Magick at someone. Both are Vulgar Prime 2 effects that cost a point of
Quintessence, and normally can not be soaked unless the target has magical
defenses or resistance of some kind.

CB

william

Intelligroove wrote:
>>It is true that Prime 5 effects kick some serious butt, but they are Prime
>>__5__ effects. You have to spend some serious time and energy to get to
>
> that
>
>>level. Plus, your difficulty for most of the effects is going to be 8 to
>
> 10.
>
>>You'll get a lot more bang for your buck from pattern sphere effects.
>>
>>You can cause aggravated damage with other effects. With Life 3 you just
>
> rip
>
>>their innards apart. With Forces 3 you fry 'em. Etc. All of these are
>
> much
>
>>easier to accomplish than a Prime 5 effect.
>

> I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that Holy Sword of Light rote (create a
> Lightsaber that's hugely vulgar and does Agg Damage) and simply throwing raw
> Magick at someone. Both are Vulgar Prime 2 effects that cost a point of
> Quintessence, and normally can not be soaked unless the target has magical
> defenses or resistance of some kind.
>
> CB

If you can't get undodgeable, unsoakable aggravated damage from Forces 3
and one quint, you really aren't trying very hard. On a really inspired
day, its even possible to find ways to make it coincidental.

William

"William" <wilit0613@postoffice.uri.edu> wrote in message
> Intelligroove wrote:
> >>It is true that Prime 5 effects kick some serious butt, but they are
Prime
> >>__5__ effects. You have to spend some serious time and energy to get to
> >
> > that
> >
> >>level. Plus, your difficulty for most of the effects is going to be 8
> >
> > 10.
> >
> >>You'll get a lot more bang for your buck from pattern sphere effects.
> >>
> >>You can cause aggravated damage with other effects. With Life 3 you
just

> > rip
> >
> >>their innards apart. With Forces 3 you fry 'em. Etc. All of these are
> >
> > much
> >
> >>easier to accomplish than a Prime 5 effect.
> >

> > I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that Holy Sword of Light rote (create a
> > Lightsaber that's hugely vulgar and does Agg Damage) and simply throwing
raw
> > Magick at someone. Both are Vulgar Prime 2 effects that cost a point of
> > Quintessence, and normally can not be soaked unless the target has
magical
> > defenses or resistance of some kind.
> >
> > CB
> >

> If you can't get undodgeable, unsoakable aggravated damage from Forces 3
> and one quint, you really aren't trying very hard. On a really inspired
> day, its even possible to find ways to make it coincidental.

Yeah, but fire is cheating. ;)

- David Prokopetz.

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf,alt.games.whitewolf.mage (More info?)

Heh, for a moment, after seeing the subject title, I thought this was
another Transformers thread. ;-)

James O'Rance wrote:
> For some reason, I thought this thread would be about Optimus Prime.
>
> Call me crazy.
>
> --
> james o'rance
> http://www.livejournal.com/~sim_james

While with me it conjured visions of one of the characters in my
writing and gaming, who is just called "Warrior Prime" and just
"Prime" by his friends. And the subject would be appropriate to him, also.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

"Hand-of-Omega" <smilinglord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When you think about it, the ability to perceive and manipulate the
> Primal Patterns and energies of other supernaturals is pretty
> devastating. Are there any other supers who can even counter such an
> attack? Any energy, such as Conviction or Faith, that cannot be
> directly affected by Prime??
>
> Dex

Prime can interact with Conviction, but you should note that many edges can
be used without spending conviction.

-Essex

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf,alt.games.whitewolf.mage (More info?)

> Yeah, but fire is cheating. ;)
>
> - David Prokopetz.

I never used the "fire is agg to everything" rule in straight Mage. Why
should fire be damaging to an idea's platonic concept, as opposed to it's
physical form?

CB

william

Intelligroove wrote:

>>Yeah, but fire is cheating. ;)
>>
>> - David Prokopetz.
>

> I never used the "fire is agg to everything" rule in straight Mage. Why
> should fire be damaging to an idea's platonic concept, as opposed to it's
> physical form?
>
> CB

I use agg to mean "The pattern is _gone_". Ie, you need to recreate it
from scratch, not encorage it to recover/remember itself. So, fire
reduces material to powder and gas. The pattern or part of the pattern
consumed is completely gone. That's why it is agg.

Slicing and dicing is not agg because, though the pattern is sundered,
most of it remains, making it easier to magically restore. On the other
hand, acid is agg because it dissolves the pattern into liquid.

This is also useful because it allows you extend the concept of
aggravated damage to things besides living bodies. So, fi, aggravated
mental damage (the pattern of the mind has ceased to exist), structural
damage, or spiritual damage. To put it is metaphysical terms, anything
reduced to primordialism has suffered agg.

William

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf,alt.games.whitewolf.mage (More info?)

> > I never used the "fire is agg to everything" rule in straight Mage. Why
> > should fire be damaging to an idea's platonic concept, as opposed to
it's
> > physical form?
> >
> > CB
> >

> I use agg to mean "The pattern is _gone_". Ie, you need to recreate it
> from scratch, not encorage it to recover/remember itself. So, fire
> reduces material to powder and gas. The pattern or part of the pattern
> consumed is completely gone. That's why it is agg.

Powder and gas is still in existence. The only thing which can utterly
reduce a pattern to nil is a Prime 4 or 5 effect. In that case, the raw
Quintessence which makes up the Pattern is unwoven and becomes one with the
great pool of raw freestanding Quint.

So, in your games, acid also does agg damage, right?

> Slicing and dicing is not agg because, though the pattern is sundered,
> most of it remains, making it easier to magically restore. On the other
> hand, acid is agg because it dissolves the pattern into liquid.
>
> This is also useful because it allows you extend the concept of
> aggravated damage to things besides living bodies. So, fi, aggravated
> mental damage (the pattern of the mind has ceased to exist), structural
> damage, or spiritual damage. To put it is metaphysical terms, anything
> reduced to primordialism has suffered agg.

I don't treat dust as "primordial", it's dust. Wood, when subjected to
fire, merely becomes ash. The pattern changes, but the philosophical
concept of the item is still intact - it transforms, the same way it would
if dissolved by acid or chopped up into wood chips. In terms of Mage,
Aggravated Damage attacks are attacks which not only harm the object
physically, but also on the spiritual and ideal levels. While this has no
meaningful effect for Sleepers (a burned hunk of wood is still a burned hunk
of wood, or a chopped off hand is still an amputated appendage), for those
who deal in Magick, it makes it difficult or impossible to or restore the
items platonic ideal (it's Quintessential Pattern, using those Mage caps
words) without reweaving in compacted, hi-concentration Prime (using Life
and Free Quint to heal health levels.)

White Wolf's notion of using Aggravated Damage to represent high degrees of
mundane physical damage is a hold over from Werewolf and Vampire, wherein
the writers wanted to have a mechanism to have Kindred who are pitched from
the top of the Empire State to meet Final Death. This goes against Mage
metaphysics, and is unneccessary in Mage, as loads of Lethal damage are more
than capable of killing humans. A human who suffers 50 health levels of
damage isn't suffering Aggravated damage - he's simply dead from horrendous
amounts of non-supernatural damage.

In pure Mage, Aggravated damage is IMO best represented by purely magickal
attacks - Rotes back with Quintessence and Prime 3, or pure Prime attacks.
Fire is dangerous enough as it is.

CB

William <wilit0613@postoffice.uri.edu> wrote in message news:<2ledpdFbjlq0U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Intelligroove wrote:
>
> >>Yeah, but fire is cheating. ;)
> >>
> >> - David Prokopetz.
> >

> > I never used the "fire is agg to everything" rule in straight Mage. Why
> > should fire be damaging to an idea's platonic concept, as opposed to it's
> > physical form?
> >
> > CB
> >

> I use agg to mean "The pattern is _gone_". Ie, you need to recreate it
> from scratch, not encorage it to recover/remember itself. So, fire
> reduces material to powder and gas. The pattern or part of the pattern
> consumed is completely gone. That's why it is agg.
>
> Slicing and dicing is not agg because, though the pattern is sundered,
> most of it remains, making it easier to magically restore. On the other
> hand, acid is agg because it dissolves the pattern into liquid.
>
> This is also useful because it allows you extend the concept of
> aggravated damage to things besides living bodies. So, fi, aggravated
> mental damage (the pattern of the mind has ceased to exist), structural
> damage, or spiritual damage. To put it is metaphysical terms, anything
> reduced to primordialism has suffered agg.
>
> William

This may be metaphysically satisfying, but it misses the reason it's
used in play. It's so that you need Quintessence and/or a higher rank
of Life to fix the injury. Currently, the rule is technically Life 4/1
Quint per HL, but I consider this to be too harsh. I use mixed
interpretations of the rules so that characters can use Life 3+Quint
or Life 4+no Quint needed.

On another note, ash and smoke that got created when you got burned
isn't a part of your Pattern any more. It's a Matter Pattern of its
own now, since cell death pretty much ddisqualifies anything from
being a part of a Life Pattern. Incidentally, this means that any sort
of large scale necrosis is also an aggravated effect. That's one
reason why, in fact, direct aggravated attacks manifest as necrotic
disease instead of the spontaneous transformation of vital organs to
copies of Plato's Republic.

M.

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf,alt.games.whitewolf.mage (More info?)

Well, Accourding to the Movie, Megatron.

Silversorcerer wrote:

> Well, Accourding to the Movie, Megatron.

No, Prime beat Megatron -- he forced the Decepticons into retreat, after
all. He just didn't /kill/ Megatron, and he died in the process.

Something about heroes always winning the war at the cost of losing the
battle would be appropriate here, but Eric Hallstrom does that better
than me.
--
Stephenls
Geek

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf,alt.games.whitewolf.mage (More info?)

"James O'Rance" wrote 7/11/04 8:03am
> For some reason, I thought this thread would be about Optimus Prime.
>
> Call me crazy.

"Michael Spagnola" wrote 7/11/04 7:12am
> > Heh, for a moment, after seeing the subject title, I thought this was
another Transformers thread. ;-)

Heheh, beat ya to it. (by about 50min.) :)

"Michael Spagnola" <rezcat@earthlink.net> wrote:

> "James O'Rance" wrote 7/11/04 8:03am
> > For some reason, I thought this thread would be about Optimus Prime.
> >
> > Call me crazy.
>
> "Michael Spagnola" wrote 7/11/04 7:12am
> > > Heh, for a moment, after seeing the subject title, I thought this was
> another Transformers thread. ;-)
>

> Heheh, beat ya to it. (by about 50min.) :)

Yeah - Google lag.

So, what -can't- Optimus Prime beat? I don't think this has been addressed yet.

--

In article <7455ad7.0407121843.7bcea594@posting.google.com>,
jorance@sydcon.net (James O'Rance) wrote:

> So, what -can't- Optimus Prime beat?

There is such a dirty response to this question, I can't even control
myself enough to type it.

--
Tyler

u d e t o d r y s t a n o i d f t

Bac>|wards

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf,alt.games.whitewolf.mage (More info?)

> This may be metaphysically satisfying, but it misses the reason it's
> used in play. It's so that you need Quintessence and/or a higher rank
> of Life to fix the injury. Currently, the rule is technically Life 4/1
> Quint per HL, but I consider this to be too harsh. I use mixed
> interpretations of the rules so that characters can use Life 3+Quint
> or Life 4+no Quint needed.

IMO, in Mage, game mechanics should proceed from game mechanics, not the
other way around. That's my view, anyway. I see no reason why you need
that interpretation to use a MageRev Life 4/1 Quint per HL rule. I agree, I
feel that is also too harsh, and feel comfortable with the Life 3+Quint of
Mage 2.

> On another note, ash and smoke that got created when you got burned
> isn't a part of your Pattern any more. It's a Matter Pattern of its
> own now, since cell death pretty much ddisqualifies anything from
> being a part of a Life Pattern. Incidentally, this means that any sort
> of large scale necrosis is also an aggravated effect. That's one
> reason why, in fact, direct aggravated attacks manifest as necrotic
> disease instead of the spontaneous transformation of vital organs to
> copies of Plato's Republic.

What are we talking about here? The whole Life Pattern (you) or the parts
of it that were injured beyond repair (your burnt flesh?) I'd agree that
Entropy 4 and various kinds of Life attacks would count as Aggravated, as
they both attack the Life pattern in the same way. IMO, if you're still
alive, you're overall life pattern is still intact, and it can be repaired,
although how difficult the repairs are would be based on the the type of
damage. IMO, using Free Quint to heal agg at Life 3 is using raw Prime to
weave in new thread, following the original blueprint, while Life 4 is the
same, except that you can use those scraps (raw Quint) to do the same job
because you're the good, as opposed to that Journeyman over there.

Also, to be clear, while aggravated Life and Entropy attacks could manifest
as necrotic disease, not all necrotic disease does aggravated damage. I
could see Life 3 curing Black Plague, in an extended rite of some kind,
depending on the severity and the Mage's Arete.

Best,

CB

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf,alt.games.whitewolf.mage (More info?)

> IMO, in Mage, game mechanics should proceed from game mechanics, not the
> other way around. That's my view, anyway. I see no reason why you need
> that interpretation to use a MageRev Life 4/1 Quint per HL rule. I agree,
> feel that is also too harsh, and feel comfortable with the Life 3+Quint of
> Mage 2.

(edit - whoops, that should be 'metaphysics should proceed from game
mechanics. Brain fart. Sorry!)

CB

Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<2lfsv6Fcf4q2U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Silversorcerer wrote:
>
> > Well, Accourding to the Movie, Megatron.

I never thought Prime could defeat Galvatron, fwiw...

> No, Prime beat Megatron -- he forced the Decepticons into retreat, after
> all. He just didn't /kill/ Megatron, and he died in the process.

Something my friends and I used to debate: Assuming Hot Rod had not
interfered, and Megatron hadn't been able to get the gun...what would
Prime have done? Shot him down in cold...er, energon? His dialouge
indicated he was thinking it...

> Something about heroes always winning the war at the cost of losing the
> battle would be appropriate here, but Eric Hallstrom does that better
> than me.

Who?

Really, it never sat well with me that the Autobots could easily whip
the Decepticons whenever they chose to. But then, I cut my cartoon
teeth on the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, where the heroes were *very*
outclassed and barely got away with their lives week after week...

Dex,
still counting the days to that Exalted cartoon...^^

Hand-of-Omega wrote:

> Something my friends and I used to debate: Assuming Hot Rod had not
> interfered, and Megatron hadn't been able to get the gun...what would
> Prime have done? Shot him down in cold...er, energon? His dialouge
> indicated he was thinking it...

He would have shot him, I think. It wasn't cold blood. Prime made his
conditions pretty clear with "One shall stand, one shall fall," and
Megatron accepted them.

> Who?

Fanfic author. http://www.kawaiikunee.com/slp/CMBSC.html
It's not really important.

> Really, it never sat well with me that the Autobots could easily whip
> the Decepticons whenever they chose to. But then, I cut my cartoon
> teeth on the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, where the heroes were *very*
> outclassed and barely got away with their lives week after week...

Megatron overextended himself when he attacked Autobot City -- he never
planned for the Autobots to get those reinforcements. In other
circumstances the Decepticons would have won -- they did manage to take
Cybertron and force the Autobots offworld, after all.
--

Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<2lquu1Fg65alU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Hand-of-Omega wrote:
>
> > Something my friends and I used to debate: Assuming Hot Rod had not
> > interfered, and Megatron hadn't been able to get the gun...what would
> > Prime have done? Shot him down in cold...er, energon? His dialouge
> > indicated he was thinking it...
>
> He would have shot him, I think. It wasn't cold blood. Prime made his
> conditions pretty clear with "One shall stand, one shall fall," and
> Megatron accepted them.

But by that point, the fight was over, and Megatron was pleading for
his life...

> > Really, it never sat well with me that the Autobots could easily whip
> > the tclassed and barely got away with their lives week after week...
>
> Megatron overextended himself when he attacked Autobot City -- he never
> planned for the Autobots to get those reinforcements. In other
> circumstances the Decepticons would have won -- they did manage to take
> Cybertron and force the Autobots offworld, after all.

Makes me wonder if Alita-One and the female Autobots were finally
overrun and destroyed, or did they make it to the moons...

But you're right. A sound plan would have been for a diversionary
force to attack both moons, keeping the Autobots busy; Megatron only
had a entire planetful of troops to throw at them, after all.

Was there any strategic advantage in destroying Autobot City? And why
not use the Space Bridge to get there?

Dex

Hand-of-Omega wrote:

> But by that point, the fight was over, and Megatron was pleading for
> his life...

Prime was actively being contemptuous of Megatron's pleas, though.
"You, who are without mercy, now plead for it? I thought you were made
of sterner stuff."

> Makes me wonder if Alita-One and the female Autobots were finally
> overrun and destroyed, or did they make it to the moons...

Did they even exist in the cartoons? I don't think they did.

Also, Alita-One is a damn stupid name for an Autobot. Transformer names
are short words, often multiple and smashed together.

> But you're right. A sound plan would have been for a diversionary
> force to attack both moons, keeping the Autobots busy; Megatron only
> had a entire planetful of troops to throw at them, after all.

You gotta figure the Autobots were probably dug in pretty deep -- the
moonbases were said to be secret, and while that's obviously not the
case at the beginning of the movie, it's reasonable to assume they were
secret previous to that.

I have no idea how they'd manage keeping moonbases secret, mind, but
hey, it's Transformers. The plots were never all that deep or logical.

> Was there any strategic advantage in destroying Autobot City? And why
> not use the Space Bridge to get there?

Earth was supplying the Autobots with energon. Megatron's tactics were
actually pretty smart -- smash Autobots City, cut off the Autobots'
energon supplies, and then, presumably, wait for the moonbases to run
down so they could be taken out with minimal Decepticon losses. He just
didn't count on those reinforcements arriving.

"Construct a brilliant plan and then fumble it at the last minute" is
basically standard operating procedure for Decepticons. I almost feel
sorry for them.
--
Stephenls
Geek
"I'm as impure as the driven yellow snow." -Spike

TRENDING THREADS