Nokia 9500 wifi problems

I am in England and have purchased a Nokia 9500, received a few days
ago.

In common with several other users on the expansys website, I am having
problems getting it to work with my wifi setup (one which works well
with other kit, including a Toshiba 3500 tablet PC)

The unit reports that it is "connected", but will not download web
pages from the internet.

It can log in to both my WIFI hub ( a Linksys WET-11) and my ADSL
modem/router ( a Speedtouch 510 ).

I have logged in to the Speedtouch via telnet and seen the unit has
received a dynamic IP address from the DHCP server. Incidentally its
MAC address is two digits short ( in hex) and I cannot enter it
successfully myself, so I then tried applying a fixed IP address on the
unit with an IP address identical to the dynamic lease just issued. I
have also tried entering the DNS host address of my ISP. I have also
followed advice on the Nokia support website to switch off simultaneous
bluetooth. And other advice to set IPv6 to "well known" and tried all
other settings there. So far, nothing works.

The rest of the LAN works fine through the router, and I can PING and
tracert everything and get web pages from the internet from 3 pc's and
the wireless laptop.

The unit does not have ping or tracert, and the browser does not give
feedback about what it is doing. It just says, "connected" or
"downloading".

Can anyone on this forum help????

Thanks,

Dave

--
madmaxdave
More about nokia 9500 wifi problems

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 05:20:20 GMT, madmaxdave
    <madmaxdave.1giqay@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:

    >I am in England and have purchased a Nokia 9500, received a few days
    >ago.
    >
    >In common with several other users on the expansys website, I am having
    >problems getting it to work with my wifi setup (one which works well
    >with other kit, including a Toshiba 3500 tablet PC)
    >
    >The unit reports that it is "connected", but will not download web
    >pages from the internet.
    >
    >It can log in to both my WIFI hub ( a Linksys WET-11) and my ADSL
    >modem/router ( a Speedtouch 510 ).
    >
    >I have logged in to the Speedtouch via telnet and seen the unit has
    >received a dynamic IP address from the DHCP server. Incidentally its
    >MAC address is two digits short ( in hex) and I cannot enter it
    >successfully myself, so I then tried applying a fixed IP address on the
    >unit with an IP address identical to the dynamic lease just issued. I
    >have also tried entering the DNS host address of my ISP. I have also
    >followed advice on the Nokia support website to switch off simultaneous
    >bluetooth. And other advice to set IPv6 to "well known" and tried all
    >other settings there. So far, nothing works.

    Ha! I've literally just done it but I'm not sure how! Turned off the
    Bluetooth, though, and turned on 11b as well as the 11g on my 3com
    router (on which I get a complete MAC address) - previously the phone
    (11b) was showing connected but the router was set for 11g only.

    The complete MAC address for 9500 can be found beneath the battery on the sticker....

    Also make sure that simultaneous Bluetooth and WLAN usage is not allowed, at least I got rid of the
    DHCP problems when disabling it.

    Desk - Tools - Control Panel - Connections - Wireless LAN - Settings - Simultaneous Bluetooth
    usage -> Not allowed

    Best regards,

    -timo-

    just curious what did you pay for it???
    "madmaxdave" <madmaxdave.1giqay@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> schreef in
    bericht news:madmaxdave.1giqay@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au...

    madmaxdave wrote:
    > The unit does not have ping or tracert, and the browser does not give
    > feedback about what it is doing. It just says, "connected" or
    > "downloading".

    I had this same problem until I disabled the power save mode, because is
    called "Allow simultaneous Bluetooth" in the WLAN settings. I changed to
    "Not allowed" and now problem solved.

    --
    Tero Lehto
    http://lehto.net/tero/

    I have exactly the same issue (UK user). While trying to access one of
    the hotspots such as BT Openzone or Tmobile, I am able to connect,
    however there is no downloading of the gateway page. Has anyone had
    more success and could he/she please send me the settings for WIFI
    access.
    Many thanks
    Yves

    Peter Johnson Wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 05:20:20 GMT, madmaxdave
    > <madmaxdave.1giqay@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:
    >

    > >I am in England and have purchased a Nokia 9500, received a few days
    > >ago.
    > >
    > >In common with several other users on the expansys website, I am
    > having
    > >problems getting it to work with my wifi setup (one which works well
    > >with other kit, including a Toshiba 3500 tablet PC)
    > >
    > >The unit reports that it is "connected", but will not download web
    > >pages from the internet.
    > >
    > >It can log in to both my WIFI hub ( a Linksys WET-11) and my ADSL
    > >modem/router ( a Speedtouch 510 ).
    > >
    > >I have logged in to the Speedtouch via telnet and seen the unit has
    > >received a dynamic IP address from the DHCP server. Incidentally its
    > >MAC address is two digits short ( in hex) and I cannot enter it
    > >successfully myself, so I then tried applying a fixed IP address on
    > the
    > >unit with an IP address identical to the dynamic lease just issued. I
    > >have also tried entering the DNS host address of my ISP. I have also
    > >followed advice on the Nokia support website to switch off
    > simultaneous
    > >bluetooth. And other advice to set IPv6 to "well known" and tried all
    > >other settings there. So far, nothing works.
    > >
    > Ha! I've literally just done it but I'm not sure how! Turned off the
    > Bluetooth, though, and turned on 11b as well as the 11g on my 3com
    > router (on which I get a complete MAC address) - previously the phone
    > (11b) was showing connected but the router was set for 11g only.

    --
    YJBK

    WIFI Access for NOKIA 9500 is not possible in the UK:
    Opera Browser does not accept cookies for Secure Web pages in the UK-

    Dear Sir

    Nokia UK technical assistance (Stuart) has just informed me that the
    reason why I cannot access WEB gateway pages (of BT Openzone and
    T-mobile hotspots) is that the Opera Browser used in the NOKIA 9500
    prevents the access to the secure Gateway page of these two Hot
    Spot-providers in the UK. This is a serious handicap for the new Nokia
    9500, especially as the access to WIFI is heavily promoted.
    Could anyone confirm this and tell me if there will be any Opera
    browser upgrade soon?

    --
    YJBK

    I can access the BT openzone hotspot in for example McDonalds in Cardiff
    and purchase access, but not the T-mobile hotspot in Starbucks.
    T-mobile who are now selling the phone locally have no current answer
    to this problem and are obviously somewhat embarassed!!.

    --
    bobxuk

    Hi All,

    Just to say I had the same problem, just solved it after looking at
    this forum.

    setup:
    draytek vigor with mac address access control.

    1. Added the wlan mac address found under the battery of the phone to
    the access list
    2. set up an access point from wlan connection found by the phone.
    3. simultaneous bluetooth usage not allowed, on settings in wlan
    connections
    4. set up internet connection to auto retrieve ip and dns.

    regs
    petc

    --
    petc
    petc's Profile: http://cellphoneforums.net/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=69373

    Hi.
    I'm having the same problem described here.
    I have input the mac address in the access list.
    I tried turning off bluetooth, but as soon as I do that, the device
    doesn't detect the wireless network any more.
    Any ideas or suggestions will be highly appreciated.
    Thank you!
    Pablo

    --
    pablo_andriolo