Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Under $1000 i5 with SSD

Last response: in Systems
November 9, 2012 2:01:42 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: The sooner, the better. I can wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals, but I don't see much point in waiting any longer than that.

Budget Range: Definitely less than $1000 after rebates and shipping, hopefully closer to $800 if possible. I have Amazon Prime, so shipping for Amazon is generally not an issue.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Most use will be general internet surfing and word processing. But it also gets the fairly regular Photoshop picture editing, Premiere video editing, and movie watching. Maybe even a little gaming if I'm actually going to get a decent computer for once.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Everything. All I have are the external accessories (not a case).

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preference

Parts Preferences: I'd like an Intel 3rd gen i5 CPU. Probably something like the 3570, but it depends on how high I should go before I'm just wasting money.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: Current monitor is 1680x1050. I'll probably upgrade it later on down the road, but that would be based on what's on sale, really.

Additional Comments: The absolute must-have is a SSD for the OS and programs along with a TB or larger HDD. This is the main reason I'm a little concerned about doing this build correctly, because I have no experience with SSDs whatsoever. I'd like to have a case that actually looks decent (maybe even one with lights to appease my teenage self that never got these things when he was actually around), but aesthetics are the first thing I'd be looking to sacrifice to stay in-budget. Water cooling is nifty, but probably outside my budget/expertise. Sound level is not a huge deal, but staying cool matters to the extent that I want to keep the thing running pretty consistently in order to operate as a mini-server for an HTPC.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: It's just time to get something I can actually rely on. I'm not a heavy gamer and my photo/video editing is purely personal. But I'd also like to have a decent PC that can afford me a little bit of luxury. The big thing I want is the SSD, and getting that in any pre-built desktop always seems to push it up over $1000. So I'm looking for a way to hopefully save a couple hundred bucks by assembling this myself.

If I'm being stupid and I should just get a pre-built computer and fork out the money to add a SDD to it, seriously, feel free to tell me. There's no point in me doing my own custom build if what I'm looking for is freely available as pre-built hardware and I'm not saving myself much money by doing it.

More about : 1000 ssd

Best solution

November 9, 2012 2:40:23 AM

You probably won't need to spend that much then. What usually makes the cost higher is the option to OC, Crossfire, and heavy gaming GPUs.

I would suggest something like this.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($184.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($68.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($53.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $781.45
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-08 23:40 EST-0500)

Feel free to change the casing and lower the video card if you think it's too much.

EDIT: Dunno why pcpartpicker is listing Microcenter prices, anyway it's around $190 @ CompUSA. Microcenter deals are usually walk-in only.
November 9, 2012 2:48:43 AM

Don't do a Samsung hard drive. Unlike their SSDs, Samsung hard drives are junk these days. They used to be great, but not anymore.
Related resources
November 9, 2012 2:59:20 AM

Thanks for the response! Am I gonna end up kicking myself if I get a lesser video card, or is it more likely I'll only notice the choice once in a blue moon when I'm editing a particularly troublesome video or something?

ETA: Or, rather, is the better video card really just a way to preserve the option to play some modern games?
November 9, 2012 2:59:47 AM

Been meaning to look into that. Spinpoint used to be the fastest 7200RPM HDD before, but I read Seagate bought them, so I don't really know anymore.
November 9, 2012 3:02:25 AM

Mid-high end cards really just are for gaming, video rendering is more CPU and RAM intensive. So yeah, a 7850 or even a 6870/7770 would be about right for you if you're gonna start with a little light gaming.
November 9, 2012 3:04:33 AM

excella1221 said:
Been meaning to look into that. Spinpoint used to be the fastest 7200RPM HDD before, but I read Seagate bought them, so I don't really know anymore.

I don't think they're the fastest anymore, but more importantly, their reliability and warranties went downhill badly. They're often the cheapest now (or at least competing with Hitachi in that), but they're not even worth their prices compared to a slightly more expensive Western Digital Caviar Blue. The current Caviar Blue models are great.
November 9, 2012 3:06:10 AM

Is there an alternative HDD I should aim for, or am I safe as long as it's not Samsung?

ETA: Nevermind, saw the edit. Western Digital is the aim. Should I avoid Seagate too?
November 9, 2012 3:09:16 AM

blazorthon said:
I don't think they're the fastest anymore, but more importantly, their reliability and warranties went downhill badly. They're often the cheapest now (or at least competing with Hitachi in that), but they're not even worth their prices compared to a slightly more expensive Western Digital Caviar Blue. The current Caviar Blue models are great.

cable101 said:
Is there an alternative HDD I should aim for, or am I safe as long as it's not Samsung?

ETA: Nevermind, saw the edit. Western Digital is the aim. Should I avoid Seagate too?

I would avoid them, but they're (ironically, considering most of Samsung's hard drives are now made by Seagate too) at least usually a step above Hitachi and some Samsung hard drives. However, it depends on the model at that point because many of Samsung's current models are literally just rebranded Seagate Barracudas (you can tell because underneath some Samsung stickers, Seagate Barracuda is printed in bold letters, lol).

Honestly, I'd just stick to Western Digital Caviar Blues or Blacks most of the time. It's the only component where I have a true brand loyalty because the other hard drive brands literally are mostly inferior for consumer models, even if not always greatly so.
November 9, 2012 3:34:05 AM

+1 on WD. I've avoided Seagate since the 7200.11 plague.
Blue or Black, the speed difference isn't that big. The extra cost you're paying for on the Black is basically for the 5-year warranty.
November 9, 2012 3:40:34 AM

excella, I've seen the 7850 run BF3 at max settings with ~ 30-40 fps so OP doesn't really even need that good of a gpu. a 7770 would probably suffice.
November 9, 2012 3:42:42 AM

Are you really suggesting going to a much weaker card when you're already only expecting 30-40FPS?
November 9, 2012 3:47:22 AM

OP said he wasn't planning on doing a whole lot of gaming. hurrdurrrrr. and it'll save him like 80-100 bucks, and he's on a budget, so.
November 9, 2012 4:28:09 PM

If I downgrade the video card, would it be worth it to move that saved money to an i7 processor? Or would I really not get much of note out of the upgrade?

Also, because I'm an idiot, are there comparable (and compatible) motherboards I can keep an additional eye out for in case a sale opens up some time over the next few weeks?
November 9, 2012 5:39:54 PM

An i7 such as an i7-3770/3770K might help some Photoshop and Premier work, but IDK if it'd be enough to spend so much extra money on it.
November 9, 2012 6:45:50 PM

newegg's got an Early Black Friday promo running this weekend that lists what appears to be a comparable case and RAM for a little cheaper than the parts listed above. Am I safe doing these, or is there a compatibility/reliability issue with either of them?

Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory Model PVI38G186C9K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220706&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL110912&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL110912-_-EMC-110912-Index-_-DesktopMemory-_-20220706-L017A

RAIDMAX Raptor ATX-823BR Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156279&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL110912&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL110912-_-EMC-110912-Index-_-ComputerCases-_-11156279-L014A
November 9, 2012 6:57:51 PM

See my build (about $1,000 thanks to all the specials during November... Otherwise $1300 easily). Go with an i5-3570 (no K), chop the ram down to 8GB, and get a cheaper PSU and Video Card. I hear the 7770 is not half bad and would get you going while being on a budget. Modular is ideal, but if you can deal with a psu that is not modular, you can get one for dirt cheap. As far as SSD, maybe an OCZ 128GB or Samsung would do you justice... All depends on what you like and how much sacrifice you're willing to make.

Edit: Here's mine if you didn't feel like clicking on the link... Also, you wouldn't necessarily NEED an ASRock z77 Extreme4, as an H77 should do just fine. And as a matter of personal opinion, the CM HAF 912 is still one of the best budget cases ever made.

CM HAF 912
Intel Core i5 3570k
ASRock z77 Extreme4
XFX 7870 Black
180GB Intel 330 SSD
1TB WD Blue Caviar 7200RPM
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866mHz
CM Hyper 212 Plus
Antec 750W 80+ Gold PSU
November 10, 2012 6:24:02 PM

Best answer selected by cable101.
!