Sign in with
Your question

Windows Aero not working! Computer freezes every 20 mins! HELP PLEASE!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 13, 2012 1:46:47 AM

Hello Everyone!

create device failed
Error code: 0x8876086A
DX9AllocatorPresenter failed

D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE

This was the error I received for many months when I attempted to play a game or watch a video through Media Player Classic.
At the same time, I always got the error that

Desktop Window Manager had stopped working and was closed

upon start-up, so I had no access to Windows Aero et al. Basically, the errors went hand in hand with each other.

Then after a while, the computer began freezing after 20 minutes of use. So now, even if I went and used Driver Sweeper to remove all old drivers for the GPU, and installed fresh drivers, the computer would freeze within 20 minutes of use. (Previously to that, a fresh install guaranteed no problems atleast for a week)

I finally decided it had to be a GPU error, so I sent in the GPU for repair at ASUS. I still haven't received it back, but in the meanwhile, installed an old BFG 7800GTX I had lying around to have a temporary computer.

AND LO AND BEHOLD, I HAVE THE SAME ISSUES.

What do I do now? Clearly it means it's not the GPU's fault. Is it the RAM? The Motherboard? Maybe not enough power to the system? I'm at a complete loss, and really need help!

Here's the System Build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k
MOBO: ASROCK z68 PRO 3-M (MicroATX)
RAM: Crucial 8GB GDDR3 1600Mhz
SSD: Crucial m4 128GB SSD
SATA Drive: WD Caviar 500GB SATA 3.0 Gb/s
PSU: Antec True Power Trio 550W PSU
GPU: ASUS ENGTX460 TOP Direct CU 114% OverClocked 1GB [Currently a BFG 7800GTX since the other one is at the repair centre]

Please help! I appreciate any advice.

Thanks.
September 13, 2012 1:55:57 AM

I should no also add that when I go to My Computer, and click on System Properties, computer hangs, saying

Windows Explorer has stopped working

And then it goes ahead and re-starts Windows Explorer. In this way, I am unable to even open System Properties now.

OH DEAR...
m
l
a c 292 U Graphics card
September 13, 2012 3:10:04 AM

Have you cleaned your registry of errors lately? Run CCleaner and do the Clean and Registry both. You may have to run a couple or more passes until it comes back clean.
http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

Then uninstall as many pgms running in the background as possible, stuff you don't really need. If your Windows Tray has more than a half dozen items in it, you probably have too many things running in the background.
m
l
a c 203 U Graphics card
September 13, 2012 3:20:27 AM

start with the mb bios make sure you have the newest one. check with your ram that it on the mb qal list. check that it running the right speed in the bios..1600 ram you should have xmp profile turned on. check that the ram is in the right slots for your mb.
check that the ream is locked in. try running memtest86 from as boot disk to see if there a ram issue. cpu-z check the ram speed and use the spd tab to see that the mb set the ram speed and voltage right. also check the cpu and gpu temps. you could have an over heating gpu. the last would be try another power supply..it could be a weak ps or one with a lot of ac ripple.
m
l
!