HD6950 2GB - Are these temps normal?

tryedz

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Hi
I have a XFX HD6950 2GB and was wondering... is 70ºC - 74ºC idle a normal temperature? I'm using 2 monitors, a 22" and a 19" one. I think the temperature was the same when I only used the 22" monitor, although I'm not sure.

The thing is, I want to sell it because I'm going to get a GTX 670 soon, so I'd like to make sure that my card doesn't have any problems so I don't get complaints.

This card has only one fan. I didn't OC it or anything.

Any ideas?

tryedz

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Sorry for taking so long to answer, things came up. Anyway, I tested it under load. I tried playing Dark Souls and it sent it to 90-94ºC. In GTA IV with ENB mods, it went up to 102ºC. The fan was spinning at 100% speed by the time. I don't even want to test with a real stress test program because it seems like it will melt my stuff or something

I actually disassembled it just now and changed the thermal paste and cleaned everything up but it seems nothing changed or changed for worse.

EDIT: Actually, now it's idling at 80ºC

I have no idea what to do now. Could it be defective?

snipersam15

Honorable
May 25, 2012
It could be that doesnt sound right at all, I was about to suggest looking at fan speeds but you said it went up to 100% and was still running that hot.
Has it always ran this way and have you overclocked it or anything?

If your not useing msi afterburner get it and see what the graph says about your temps.

tryedz

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Like I said I never overclocked it. A few months back it was still at this temperature. I didn't bother at the moment but now it's really bothering me because of these hot days.

I grabbed Afterburner and it says the same. The GPU itself is Min 80º max 83º, while the memory and shaders are at 70º.

The warranty period is over and I don't know what to do.

snipersam15

Honorable
May 25, 2012
Where were you looking at fan speed before, tell me how the fan speed compares on msi afterburner to the other one you used. If the msi one says lower then this might be an easy fix.

tryedz

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
I was looking on AIDA64. And I just tested with afterburner and it said the same. 100% speed and 102-104 centigrade.

tryedz

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
A random wisecase I don't know the model anymore. I use it mostly without the cover. Anyway LIKE I SAID I just opened it and cleaned it up and changed the thermal paste today and it only made things worse.

tryedz

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Well of course they are
the thermal paste is a cheap silicon one but does a good job on keeping the CPU cool and it's not the reference model

I just tried reapplying the paste again and removed one of the monitors and the temperature dropped to 50 on idle, then I tested load and it went to 97º at 100% speed and right now it's 60 on idle again.

Could the other monitor be the problem or are the temps still too high?