Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

[New Build] Gaming on Apple TB display|$1500

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 9, 2012 6:09:33 AM

Hi all!

I'd like to build a new gaming rig that can utilize my Apple Thunderbolt Display on high/ultra settings. This will also be a first time build for me. I'd also like insight on how upgradeable this setup would be. Looking forward to the feedback.

Budget Range: ~$1500 but flexible

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No

Location: NYC

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 2560x1440

Here is what I was thinking about:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($180.48 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($94.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($103.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($68.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On ihes112-04 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($89.99 @ CompUSA)
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech G500 Wired Laser Mouse ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1455.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-09 02:57 EST-0500)

Best solution

November 9, 2012 4:47:43 PM

PCPartPicker List

This Build is few dollars more but for a 2560x1440 monitor the graphics card will preform much better with 4GB of video RAM, and I changed your processor to the i5-3570k which is 1USD more but if you want you can overclock in the future.
Share
November 9, 2012 6:03:31 PM

You're going to need an adapter for that monitor.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/H5236ZM/A/kanex-c247d...

That's a killer build which I'm sure it will serve you well. The only pieces I'd change is go with the K version on that processor the price difference is negligible, and get a better cooler.

I own the 212, it's fairly quite and does a decent job but for a few more dollars you can get a better solution. If you decide the 212 is the direction you're going, get a second fan for push pull (super easy install).
m
0
l
Related resources
November 9, 2012 6:10:36 PM

The original build looks great. My only suggestion would be that there's no point in getting the 3570 unless you're getting the K model. Otherwise go with the 3470. Make sure that Vengeance RAM is low profile.
m
0
l
November 9, 2012 6:19:31 PM

bjaminnyc said:
You're going to need an adapter for that monitor.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/H5236ZM/A/kanex-c247d...

That's a killer build which I'm sure it will serve you well. The only pieces I'd change is go with the K version on that processor the price difference is negligible, and get a better cooler.

I own the 212, it's fairly quite and does a decent job but for a few more dollars you can get a better solution. If you decide the 212 is the direction you're going, get a second fan for push pull (super easy install).


Can I not just connect the TB display using the TB port on the motherboard?

Still very new to this, forgive me if the adapter is an obvious requirement.
m
0
l
November 9, 2012 6:22:24 PM

cecildp said:
Can I not just connect the TB display using the TB port on the motherboard?

Still very new to this, forgive me if the adapter is an obvious requirement.


I'm not entirely sure about this either, I'll have to check Apple's website and see what they recommend.
m
0
l
November 9, 2012 6:23:09 PM

Going off of what g-unit said, either get the "k" model or scrap the z77 mobo and aftermarket cooler... you have everything set up to overclock except for an unlocked processor right now.
m
0
l
November 9, 2012 6:28:09 PM

DarkSable said:
Going off of what g-unit said, either get the "k" model or scrap the z77 mobo and aftermarket cooler... you have everything set up to overclock except for an unlocked processor right now.


That would actually eliminate the intended purpose of this build - to take advantage of the Thunderbolt display. You could always get a cheap add in card as well if you want to do H77.
m
0
l
November 10, 2012 3:44:02 PM

Thanks for all the help guys
m
0
l
November 20, 2012 12:16:27 AM

Best answer selected by cecildp.
m
0
l
!