Sign in with
Your question

Budget build to run Ubuntu

Last response: in Systems
November 9, 2012 7:58:09 AM

I have been thinking about building a budget computer to run Ubuntu operating system on. Should I even do that? LOL

Here is what I came up with....

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Celeron G540 2.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H61M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($33.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Agility 4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($61.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Other: Apevia Case and Power Supply ($50.00)
Other: DVI to HDMI cable ($10.00)
Total: $257.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-09 04:52 EST-0500)

Here is a link to the case and psu combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
November 9, 2012 8:56:15 AM

Yeah, it'll work.
m
l
Anonymous
November 9, 2012 9:00:00 AM

get a larger regular hard disk and not a 64Gb SSD, ubuntu will need a bit of space for its swap file on a separate partition.

but overall will do well.
m
l
Related resources
November 9, 2012 9:09:01 AM

Anonymous said:
get a larger regular hard disk and not a 64Gb SSD, ubuntu will need a bit of space for its swap file on a separate partition.

but overall will do well.

Ok thanks, I wasn't sure about using a small SSD. Actually I tried to find a regular HDD first, and had a heck of a time trying to find one cheaper than $50. I was surprised because all I need is a Sata 2, and 180gb or more would be fine.
m
l
November 9, 2012 9:27:05 AM

64 GB is more than enough for Ubuntu. I've seen people with 16 GB space run it.
m
l
November 9, 2012 11:52:22 AM

Hmm well I'm not planning to buy right away, just kicking the idea around. I'll wait to see if any hard drive deals come up.
m
l
November 9, 2012 12:03:11 PM

Don't use that PSU!!!! Get something quality! Antec Earthwatts 380D would be perfect. There is also no need for a HDD if you don't need the storage. I have Ubuntu on my laptop with a 32GB SSD with about 20GB of free space. As far as cables go, shop at Monoprice much cheaper!
m
l
November 9, 2012 12:08:28 PM

whooleo said:
Don't use that PSU!!!! Get something quality! Antec Earthwatts 380D would be perfect. There is also no need for a HDD if you don't need the storage. I have Ubuntu on my laptop with a 32GB SSD with about 20GB of free space. As far as cables go, shop at Monoprice much cheaper!

I agree that it is a cheap psu and if it was to power any gpu it would be a ticking time bomb, but for the extremely low power that the celeron will consume with no dedicated gpu, it would be ok.
m
l
November 9, 2012 12:21:29 PM

zooted said:
I agree that it is a cheap psu and if it was to power any gpu it would be a ticking time bomb, but for the extremely low power that the celeron will consume with no dedicated gpu, it would be ok.

Thanks guys. Was just trying to keep the price as low as possible, the case and power supply for $50 seems a good deal and could do worse for a combo like that. I would never use a cheap psu on a higher end build. But like zooted said it should proabably be ok for only running less than 100 watts and no graphics card.

I am leaning towards a low capacity SSD because I don't really need much storage, I never store videos on my computers. And they are about 10-20 times faster than regular hard drives.
m
l
November 9, 2012 12:22:45 PM

I'm sorry I just believe every PC NEEDS a decent PSU. For me that's just something you never skimp on no matter the build.
m
l
November 9, 2012 12:25:25 PM

brandon402 said:
Thanks guys. Was just trying to keep the price as low as possible, the case and power supply for $50 seems a good deal and could do worse for a combo like that. I would never use a cheap psu on a higher end build. But like quotemsg said it should proabably be ok for only running less than 100 watts and no graphics card.

I am leaning towards a low capacity SSD because I don't really need much storage, I never store videos on my computers. And they are about 10-20 times faster than regular hard drives.

Just throw a 64GB SSD in there and don't forget to enable TRIM after install and your gold.
m
l
November 9, 2012 12:30:28 PM

whooleo said:
Just throw a 64GB SSD in there and don't forget to enable TRIM after install and your gold.

Thanks for your advice whooleo, it definitely helps me decide! ;) 
m
l
November 9, 2012 12:34:24 PM

Trust me you won't regret it an SSD brought my laptop with Ubuntu back to life again.
m
l
!