Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 or 8 new build

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
November 9, 2012 8:45:01 AM

Hi.

I recently bought all my parts for my new gaming pc. I am doing a fresh OS install so I'm not upgrading OS. Having a hard time deciding between windows 7 or windows 8 (64bit of course).

The majority of posts I can find are about a month or so old and wanted to hear some current thoughts from the people who have been using it for a while, or anyone who is undecided/recently started using windows 8.

Thanks.

More about : windows build

November 9, 2012 8:49:47 AM

What is your PC spec? Because i heard that Buldozer FX processors are better in win 8 then win 7. But in my opinion i would stay with Win 7 64-bit.
November 9, 2012 10:46:42 AM

i5 3570 cpu
Related resources
November 9, 2012 11:10:25 AM

Windows 8
November 9, 2012 11:39:48 AM

Windows 8 seems better suited for tablets and laptops, but not desktops. For a desktop build I would definitely get Windows 7. In fact I did buy Windows 7 two days before 8 came out for the computer I just built! To be honest, the only reason I'd personally want Windows 8 is if I bought one of those laptops that has a flippable touch screen.
November 9, 2012 12:26:22 PM

Microsoft seems desperate to get people onto windows 8. No service pack 2 for windows 7, deep discounts on switching to windows 8, tons of reviews that try to convince people to switch....yeah I'll pass. I'm sure you could upgrade from windows 7 for a cheap price in a year. I love windows 7 and haven't been convinced its worth switching.
November 9, 2012 12:41:36 PM

envy14tpe said:
Microsoft seems desperate to get people onto windows 8. No service pack 2 for windows 7, deep discounts on switching to windows 8, tons of reviews that try to convince people to switch....yeah I'll pass. I'm sure you could upgrade from windows 7 for a cheap price in a year. I love windows 7 and haven't been convinced its worth switching.

I also love Windows 7, I think they have basically perfected Windows with it. Windows 8 is better for mobile devices. Also Intel seems to be focusing on developing mobile chips with the Haswell line. So you have both Microsoft and Intel (and therefore computer makers) focusing on mobile devices including laptops. Intel's 3rd generation processors will probably not become obsolete for a long, long time. Now is a pretty good time to buy a desktop considering too the cheap ram and cheaper SSDs.

Best solution

November 9, 2012 12:48:53 PM

Windows 8 is pretty good at handling system resources and being more efficient. However on a performance test above Windows 7 also does an excellent job. When Windows 8 becomes more widely common, system and graphics card drivers will improve giving it more support and performance in games.

In my opinion though, I would go with Windows 7. It is still fairly new, still performs, has plenty years of support left for new hardware and has a bigger user base making information and knowledge much easier to find if you have any problems.
November 10, 2012 5:16:39 AM

Thanks for the info. Went for 7 based on the windows 8 being optimized for touch screens/tablets.
November 12, 2012 1:42:53 AM

jbarra said:
Thanks for the info. Went for 7 based on the windows 8 being optimized for touch screens/tablets.

I think windows 7 is fantastic. XP was great too. Its a shame that there won't be a service pack too. For now, 7 is king. Yes, there are slight performance improvements in games using windows 8 but the platform as a whole needs to be evaluated. Right now, I won't change it, but in a year I'll reevaluate it. My desktop should be about the same so it'll probably be 2014 before I shift to windows 8.
November 12, 2012 2:35:48 AM

Best answer selected by jbarra.
!