schaefersc

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
I recently finished building my computer, and everything works great so far, except the video card.

Every time i run a game, it works for about 20-30 seconds, and then the game crashes/stops responding. I'm guessing this is the video card, since not ALL of my games could have screwed up on download/install.

The video card isn't overheating, and is hovering at 33 C.

Any assistance?

It's an Nvidia GTX 570: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7246801&SRCCODE=WEBLET03ORDER&cm_mmc=Email-_-WebletMain-_-WEBLET03ORDER-_-Deals

schaefersc

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Drivers are up-to-date, and i've done all the important updates for windows 7.

There is an optional update for my GTX 570 display, but everytime i attempt to update, it fails.

schaefersc

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
That optional update was only a driver that is already out of date, according to windows help. Downloading a bunch of optional updates, one of them being a display driver for my monitor, going to see if that will help.

Any feedback?

For a system using a single ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 graphics card a minimum of a 550 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors is required.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in determining power supply adequacy!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) @ 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

What is the brand and model of your power supply unit?

schaefersc

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
I ran a memory test last night, and went into BIOS and set the power settings to standard instead of performance, and it started working. Going to set it back to performance to experiment and see if that was the issue.

It's a low quality power supply that has a +12V rail that isn't any better than a Seasonic made 550 Watt power supply.

It "should" still be adequate for your system configuration unless you're overclocking both your CPU and graphics card.

There's no reputable reviews of the Ultra LSP750. I know that it's made by the OEM ShenZhen RuiSheng Yuan which means it's an unreliable piece of ... There's no way of knowing if it's supplying clean power unless you have an oscilloscope you can hook it up to. On Ultra's customer feedback website, for the Ultra LSP750, there is a customer that reported that the voltage regulation is poor enough that when drawing over 300 Watts from the power supply the +12V rail's voltage will drop low enough to be out of spec and cause the graphics intensive application or game to exit.

Try a better quality power supply unit.

Most likely. When the graphics card receives insufficient power it will not be able to run at its maximum potential.

I would stay away from Cooler Master power supplies.

I would strongly recommend the following instead:

OCZ OCZ-ZT750W ZT Series ATX Modular Power Supply $97.99 (Less Rebate: $20.00 = $77.99* After Rebate with Free Shipping)
• +12 Volt continuous current rating of 62 Amps
• four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1393382&CatId=5440

My recommendation is based on jonnyGURU.com's review of the OCZ ZT 750W Power Supply.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=262

The 2x 4-pin ATX CPU power connector is the same as a single 8-pin EPS CPU power connector. It is also known as a 4+4-pin ATX12V/EPS12V CPU power connector.