Sign in with
Your question

What do i need for 3D

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 13, 2012 6:33:21 AM

Whats up guys i just bought an alienware optx23 monitor and it says it supports 3D. Also i have a hd7970 which also supports 3d. Now my question is what do i need to make it work? Just glasses? or something else? I am a complete noob when it comes to 3d stuff.

Thanks in advance :) 

More about : question

September 13, 2012 6:44:16 AM

^^

NO NO NO NO NO!
m
l
Related resources
September 13, 2012 6:48:33 AM

amuffin said:
^^

NO NO NO NO NO!

If I made an error then correct it don't just say WRONG!! :ange: 
m
l
September 13, 2012 8:28:46 AM

El Monstero29 said:
If I made an error then correct it don't just say WRONG!! :ange: 

He has a Radeon 7970!

You listed the stuff you need for Nvidia 3d vision.
m
l
September 13, 2012 8:33:27 AM

amuffin said:
He has a Radeon 7970!

You listed the stuff you need for Nvidia 3d vision.

:lol:  your right my bad :kaola: 

but does that mean he's screwed? as far as I know the alienware monitor can only use the nvidia stuff
m
l
September 13, 2012 5:00:11 PM

so what would 7970 need? or its not possible?
m
l
September 13, 2012 6:14:33 PM

If your monitor has a DualLink-DVI port, you will need Tridef software to run 3d with an AMD card. If your monitor does not have DL-DVI (the dell page only says DVI, doesn't specify) you won't be able to achieve full 120FPS (60FPS/eye), and you may want to consider returning your monitor. You can get a free trial of Tridef to check this as well (good to make sure you actually like 3d as well).

A good AMD compatible 3d monitor will have a display port (or mini-display port) connection; and they will usually come with Tridef software for free and a set of glasses.

An S23A950D is a good choice; I have it's predecessor the S23A750D and like it; there may be better displays out there, but this one was the standout choice when I was picking up a 3d monitor.

edit: Unfortunately the 3d gaming market is a ridiculous mess of incompatibility and misrepresented products; nowhere near as plug and play as it should be. (I like to think this is due to nVidia's closed solution which typically leads to monitors only working for one GPU type or the other, but that maybe just a bit of bias). If you end up getting a different monitor, only buy one with a display port or mini display port connection option; as this is the best way to be sure you'll be able to run in with AMD3d. HDMI and DVI (except dual link DVI) are bandwidth limited, and not capable of getting full framerates in 3d mode.

(The other alternative, btw, would be to swap your GPU to nVidia, however since you just bought the monitor, I assume it's easier to return that than get a new GPU)
m
l
September 20, 2012 6:44:22 AM

Can't return the monior but i did put my 7970 for sale and ordered a gtx 690. So would that kit be good enough?
m
l
September 20, 2012 7:36:24 AM

shakal said:
Can't return the monior but i did put my 7970 for sale and ordered a gtx 690. So would that kit be good enough?

Yes that nvidia vision 2 will kick the crap out of your 3d :ouch: 
m
l
September 20, 2012 7:45:11 AM

ahh i placed and ordered on newegg. though it about and cancelled it for now. They only have the signature series and i dont care for the mouse pad and tshirt. so i will think it through some more and maybe re order. I might also wait for the next series of cards like 790's or something crazy like that.
m
l
!