Status
Not open for further replies.

Praxxis

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Any suggestions on an upgrade for my intel 925 chipset motherboard that currently has an nvidia 6800gt installed? PSU is antec earthwatts 430.

Solution
Even if you buy a good graphics card you still won't be able to play the latest games because your processor is really slow by today's standards.
And the bad news is that you can't upgrade the processor unless you buy a new motherboard.Then the new motherboard won't be compatable with your RAM.
So buying a new PC is the way to go.

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
Even if you buy a good graphics card you still won't be able to play the latest games because your processor is really slow by today's standards.
And the bad news is that you can't upgrade the processor unless you buy a new motherboard.Then the new motherboard won't be compatable with your RAM.
So buying a new PC is the way to go.

Solution

Praxxis

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
I agree and will build a new PC early next year. Till then, maxing this old rig is my goal. I expect the cpu/mobo to be the bottle neck and I'm ok with that. I do think buying a PCI-E 3 card would be a waste because this rig is stuck with DX9, and also limited to 1280x768. So I'm looking for advice on finding the sweet spot of maxing video performance with out wasting to much money.

The newest game I might buy is Torchlight II which is a dated graphics engine to start with.

Thanks for the reply.

Praxxis

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
I could sell my P4 machine for the right price, lol. For the last few years it has been very stable and well worth the investment. I guess that is why I want to keep it going.

I did get a suggestion to consider EVGA GeForce 9800 GT HDMI, or EVGA GeForce GTS 450. I do like Nvidia, but fan noise and power consumption are a bit of a turn off.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.