Your question

Problem with eyefinity - 7850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 13, 2012 11:28:34 AM

My card has the following connections:

1xDVI
1xHDMI
2xMini Display Port

I have 27 inch LED 3D monitors from philips - VGA or HDMI connections.

at the moment I bought 2 mini display port to DVI adapters then I use an adapter to change it to VGA so I could plug it into my screen

My screen is only picking up the native DVI - VGA connection.

I guess I need to use digital signal to make eyefinity work?

How can I set it up.

Native HDMI
Mini DP - HDMI
Mini DP - HDMI

Will that work?

I am having a hard time really figuring out how all this stuff works, any help is great!

More about : problem eyefinity 7850

September 13, 2012 12:19:49 PM

It says I need to purchase a card with at least 2:

VGA
DVI
HDMI

My card only has 1 HDMI 1 DVI and 2 display port, thats why I am confused...
Related resources
September 13, 2012 1:35:05 PM

Here are the rules:

-The first two monitors can connect to the graphics card with any display output on your product: HDMI, VGA, DVI or DisplayPort.
-The third (or greater) display must be connected to the graphics card via DisplayPort.
-If your monitor does not have a DisplayPort connection, you will need an active DisplayPort adapter for it.
-Every family of GPUs supports a different maximum number of displays.

Based on this, I would connect one monitor via VGA, one via HDMI, and not use DisplayPort at all.
September 13, 2012 1:47:24 PM

I am trying to run 3 monitors in eyefinity. The monitors have HDMI and VGA connections, NO DVI.

At the moment I have

Native HDMI.
Native DVI - I use a DVI to VGA adapter so I can plug it into the monitor.
Active DP to DVI adapter, I think plug VGA adapter into that to run the third monitor.

In my position (3 monitors each with HDMI and VGA input) how would you go about running eyefinity?
What connections and adapters would you use?

Thanks in advance.
September 13, 2012 2:03:54 PM

Try the following (from GPU to screen):

1 x VGA to VGA (you may need a DVI-to-VGA adapter on the GPU for this)
1 x HDMI to HDMI
1 x DisplayPort to VGA or HDMI, once again you will need an adapter.

That's the only way I can see how it will work based on the rules. If your monitors had DVI it would be much easier.
September 13, 2012 2:18:29 PM

Thanks a lot for your help up till now.

I did what you said and used those connections.

It picked up 3 monitors but I can only duplicate two it wont let me touch the third monitor, I guess this is because I am using a passive display port to HDMI adapter?

Thank you!
September 13, 2012 2:21:04 PM

Jip, from the documentation it appears the adapter must be active. Good to see we are getting somewhere.
September 13, 2012 2:39:34 PM

Seems like you cant even buy an active mini display port to HDMI adapter.

I have Active Mini Display Port to DVI adapter at the moment, then I was using a VGA adapter from that so I could plug into my monitor, but it is not picking it up.

I hope an active MDP to VGA will work :/ 
September 13, 2012 2:56:11 PM

The most likely way you'll need to go is

1x Mini-Displayport to DVI adapter (Must be an active adapter) then from there a DVI to HDMI Cable

1x DVI to HDMI Cable

1x HDMI to HDMI

I would completely avoid VGA all together, it usually causes issues in EyeFinity. VGA isnt a digital signal so adding the converter in to convert to VGA doesnt seem to work well. Since your monitors only have HDMI, the best solution for you is going to be DVI to HDMI cables. This leaves the signal digital.
September 13, 2012 5:01:56 PM

OK guys thanks very much for your help, I am sending these monitors back and should have some with the correct input next week, I guess that will make everything 10x easier!
September 13, 2012 5:32:30 PM

You really didnt need to switch monitors. The HDMI inputs would have worked fine, its just a matter of getting the right cables. HDMI and DVI are pretty much the same accept the connection (and HDMI carries sound). Anytime you have one plug you can always use an HDMI to DVI cable. Even if you get monitors with DVI instead of HDMI you would still then need to use the same cable.

If you are getting new monitors and want to do things the easiest way possible get monitors that have displayport. When I upgraded monitors in February I got 3 asus VE248Q monitors that have HDMI and Displayport. I run 2 using displayport (Mini Displayport to Displayport Cables from monoprice rather than a mini to full displayport size adapter), and the third using HDMI. I also run one of my old screens as a 4th (3+1 setup) using DVI.
!