New computer. Are these parts Ok?

Hi :)
It's been years since I last build a new computer, so I'm a bit rusty on which parts fits, and what's a go or a no go, so I hope somebody could say, if I'm on the right track or not :)
I'm planning to buy the stuff next week.

Motherboard: Intel DX79TO
CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 - 120mm
Graphics card: Gigabyte GV N660OC-2GD -GF-GTX660 2GB
PSU: Corsair GS800 - 800W 140mm
RAM: 16Gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz
Main HD: Crucial M4 512Gb SSD
Monitors: 2 x Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM

/Martin
6 answers Last reply
More about computer parts
  1. What would the system be used for?

Also, don't get Intel motherboards. They're not really that great on that particular business.
  2. It's for editing very large images and video, and calculating cpu intensive formulas :)
    And no, I don't play any games other than solitaire and parking mania.

Which board would you recomend? I have looked at ASUS Sabertooth x79 too, would that one be a better choice? :)
  3. nyhjem said:
    It's for editing very large images and video, and calculating cpu intensive formulas :)
    And no, I don't play any games other than solitaire and parking mania.

Which board would you recomend? I have looked at ASUS Sabertooth x79 too, would that one be a better choice? :)

I would not get an Intel board - that's for sure. There's zero support for them. There was a roundup on the main page a couple of weeks ago where they pointed out that the Intel BIOS remained completely unchanged from the last roundup - that's very telling.

Go with the Asus X79. It's a good choice. Alternately consider the Asrock Extreme 6.

If you want to run multiple displays I'd recommend a Sapphire Flex card like the 7870 over a reference 660 or 660TI.

Avoid the Corsair GS series - get a TX or HX instead (or try one of the other PSU mainstays: Antec, Seasonic, XFX, or PC Power & Cooling), and don't purchase an SSD that large. Go with a smaller SSD and a 2TB+ hard drive, that will be a better cost per GB solution.

I also forgot to add that Arctic Coolers are HORRENDOUS. Get a Hyper 212 Evo instead - far better for the same money.
  4. Motherboard: Intel DX79TO - Asrock or Asus is better
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K - very fast
    CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 - 120mm
    Graphics card: Gigabyte GV N660OC-2GD -GF-GTX660 2GB - if you do OpenGL editing, you want Quadro instead.
    PSU: Corsair GS800 - 800W 140mm - overkill for the GTX660
    RAM: 16Gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz - might as well get 32 GB
    Main HD: Crucial M4 512Gb SSD - get 840 Pro series if you can, or the 830 or 84 series.
    Monitors: 2 x Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM
  5. Since you won't be gaming at all, maybe a workstation card like Quadro or Firepro would suit your needs more.
  6. Thanks for the inputs everyone :)
    I've adjusted the list, and will buy the stuff next week :)
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Computer Systems