mox141

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Quick question. I have noticed a lot of people on these boards are saying buying 8 gigs of ram vs 16 gigs of ram for a gaming PC. Why is this the case? Wouldn't the ram only help or is this the case of diminishing returns?

takeonme81

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Alot of games don't utilize more than 4gb of ram...Maybe in like 4 or 5 years it might be more plausible because I'm assuming applications will use more ram in the future.

Denzig76

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
For gaming, it's just not necessary. I don't think that there are any games even out right now that would require more than 4GB, so 8 GB ensures you have enough for the game, your OS, and really most other multitasking scenarios. The only time that you would really need to consider something above would be if you are doing intense graphics rendering like AutoCad, or video editing, but not gaming. Plus if for some unlikely reason, a game came out in the near future that did have a higher requirement, ram's cheap enough that it would be a quick and easy upgrade.

GreedFusion

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Just get 2x4gb sticks on a 4 slot + mobo and pay another 35-40 bucks later on to upgrade if you think you didn't get enough. NO games will use more than 5, BF3 maxed out on EVERY aspect only uses ~ 4.35, so having 8 is overkill already.

Like all the guys said, for gaming 8GB is overkill I myself game with 4GB of RAM.
But, that's the case for gaming only.

If you're using heavy applications, multi-threaded applications, doing lots of video editing, lots of virtualization then 16 GB of RAM is fine.

Anyway, you can pick a 16GB kit for $50...so I'd say go for it.

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011

lowest price on newegg for 16GB kit is
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820576009

$63

GreedFusion

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012

^yes
unless you're on a budget </3 if you have a budget it's best to put every penny you can into the GPU for your system, so if you have a limiting budget, go for 8gb and upgrade later. ram is so cheap nowadays. xD

Big Flanders

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
If your strictly gaming then i'd go for 8gb its like 50 bucks for 2 fast sticks, but if you do video editing, photoshop, and what not. Then 16gb or even more depending on how heavily you use it.

brandon402

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
I read somewhere going from 4gb to 8gb makes about a 40% difference, but 8gb to 16gb only makes 20% difference. The numbers may not be completely accurate, but there is definitely a diminishing return with RAM. I could tell the difference going from 4 to 8gb in my laptop. Programs load slightly faster and it renders slightly faster. I think 8gb is worth having, but like others have said there is no reason for 16gb unless you do things like rendering and video editing, things that will use all of a computers resources (even graphic cards nowadays).

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Currently 4GB sticks are the pricing sweet spot. If your MB only has two slots then you should seriously contemplate 8GB sticks. The cost difference between the two is relatively minimal when compared to other components.

16GB (2x8GB) may not be entirely necessary or optimal at this point purely gaming. However, they will not need to be replaced or upgraded from quite awhile. They'll probably be one of the few pieces that make it into your next build.

4gb? Seriously I would never suggest someone to go with 4gb on a new gaming rig unless on a really tight budget. This thread is about 8 vs 16, 4 should have never been brought up. He's asking about 8 vs 16 since his rig was ~$1200 budget. There should be no reason to go with 4gb anywhere near that price range. 4gb=$20, 8gb=$40, 16gb=$80. Not really a sweet spot in price but rather in value. $40 is not a budget buster especially on a gaming rig but money should be used where there is the most gain. For a decent gaming rig 8gb is recommended simply because modern high settings gaming may use 4gb leaving not enough for windows or anything else you have up; decreasing performance. This is contradicting my sb post with crysis and civ but that is only 2 somewhat old games. Gta 4 has errors playing on 4gb and hl2 seen a 35% increase and those are even older. Especially with new games possibly using more, you don't want just enough now and have to upgrade next year. You get 8gb and probably never have to upgrade anything but your gpu until a new pc.