Is a nvidia geforce 9800gt compatabile with intel i7 ivy bridge

cadtechbuilder

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
Hello,
my company is looking to build some new machines for 3d software and cad software. our computers are very out dated except for the nvidia gefore 9800gt card that were installed in 2009, these are the newest components in the machines. my questions is, if we upgrade to new machines running intel i7 3770 ivy bridge, ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard, and an Intel 330 Series 240 gb sata III ssd will the existing graphic card be compatible. I have heard a lot of people rave about this graphic card some im trying to get some insight, it would be great if we could cut the new 300$ card out and just use the invidia cards

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
+1 it is compatible, but .. uhh... The 9800GT is like 5 year old technology. People raved about it in 2009 - Not in 2012. Are you sure you want to pair them with brand new i7 3770s? This is a huge mismatch.

Not sure if this is relevant to you, but be aware that the old 9800GT card is not going to run all the newest graphic technologies like Direct X 11. Not sure what your needs are.

The final part I don't understand is why an alternate new GPU would be $300? A card equivalent in power to the 9800GT goes for about $50 today. Substantially more powerful cards are available in the 100-200 range.

cadtechbuilder

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012

I personally dont want to stay with the existing gpu card at all, company had asked if it was possible. And to answer your question the card I have specd out is amd firepro v5900 2GB workstation card. We need a powerful card that can run autocad civil 3d, as well as revit and be able to move through sketchup models seamless as possible and also be productive enough for photoshop and indesign and mapping programs so a solid gpu is essential to out build. I had only asked about the compatability because it was a question that was brought up as we had bought 5 cards a few years back and they were curious if it was possible, I plan on telling them NO!!

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
I agree that a workstation card is a much better choice than a gaming GPU. Even if you have to cut back somewhere else to afford it.

If they are burning on the cost of this ... they should upgrade more frequently with cheaper parts ... not wait 5+ years and then fight it.