Discipline rolls in V:tR

So... i've been studying the Mary's Child scenario and was slightly
disappointed with the descriptions of the discipline rolls. Most of the
times, you roll Attribute + Abillity + Discipline and need MULTIPLE
SUCCESSES. I'd so hoped they'd stick with the same mechanic as used in
combat.

For example, Awe (Majesty °) is Presence + Expression + Majesty. The
target is awed if you score more successes than his Composure.

Why not make it Presence + Expression + Majesty - Target's Composure and
stick to the promised "all you'll ever need is 1 success"?

Now it looks like "All you ever need is 1 success, except if you want to
measure aour success (e.g. damage) or use a discipline or ...whatever.
Forget about it. We raised the difficulty and you still need multiple
successes for evering besides getting out of bed in the morning"

Your thoughts about this?

Daniel
--

my homepage : http://hd42.de

'Life is wasted on the living' - Zaphod Beeblebrox the Fourth

Daniel Hohenberger <nagash@hd42.de> wrote in message news:<2lfcp9Fc5usiU1@uni-berlin.de>...

> Your thoughts about this?

My thoughts are that the more I hear about the new system, the longer
I think I'll be playing the WoD V.1.

Single to hit and damage roll - I've already played Tunnels and Trolls
and didn't like it.

Single target number - I don't like the loss of flexibility the
present system has to be able to decide difficulty as well as number
of successes.

Three stat dice pools - I'm distrustful of large dice pools. I hear
about the large dice pools in Exalted and I really don't hear anything
good about the system unless you like epic hack and slash combat.

So far I like the reshaping of the backstory and flavor text, but the
actual system doesn't seem to be going in a direction that I think
I'll enjoy.

Not to mention that I've still got a half dozen books that I've never
put to good use yet.

marc17 wrote:

> Daniel Hohenberger <nagash@hd42.de> wrote in message news:<2lfcp9Fc5usiU1@uni-berlin.de>...
>

> > Your thoughts about this?
> >

> My thoughts are that the more I hear about the new system, the longer
> I think I'll be playing the WoD V.1.

I'm quite the opposite. The more I hear I hear about WoD 2.0, the less
painful it is for me to let go of 1.0. Then again, I also jumped
headlong into D&D 3.5, so I'm easy like that.

> Single target number - I don't like the loss of flexibility the
> present system has to be able to decide difficulty as well as number
> of successes.

It's true there's a loss of flexibility here, but having both played and
run games in WoD 1.0, I think it'll be a nice change of pace not to be
constantly double checking the difficulty with the ST.

> Single to hit and damage roll - I've already played Tunnels and Trolls
> and didn't like it.

> Three stat dice pools - I'm distrustful of large dice pools. I hear
> about the large dice pools in Exalted and I really don't hear anything
> good about the system unless you like epic hack and slash combat.

I haven't played Exalted myself, but I have played WoD and I recall
some immense dice pools in the old system too, especially during
combat. I'm not saying the new system will be any better (only time
will tell on that count), but I don't think it'll be worse.
Besides, even if the size of dice pools doesn't go down, it looks like
they're doing everything they can to streamline the number of times you
actually have to roll them.

> Not to mention that I've still got a half dozen books that I've never
> put to good use yet.

Heh. I've never bought that many books apart from the various core
books anyway, so I don't feel this hit as badly. I just use the basic
setting information and see where it takes me.

Daniel Hohenberger wrote:

> So... i've been studying the Mary's Child scenario and was slightly
> disappointed with the descriptions of the discipline rolls. Most of the
> times, you roll Attribute + Abillity + Discipline and need MULTIPLE
> SUCCESSES. I'd so hoped they'd stick with the same mechanic as used in
> combat.
>
> For example, Awe (Majesty °) is Presence + Expression + Majesty. The
> target is awed if you score more successes than his Composure.
>
> Why not make it Presence + Expression + Majesty - Target's Composure and
> stick to the promised "all you'll ever need is 1 success"?

> Your thoughts about this?

I likes it. I likes it a lot. I'll have to fawn through the books
proper before I make a final call on this, but I think I'd use this
method for most everything that the actual rules say needs multiple
successes. Unless it was something that was really supposed to be
difficult, or a Mad Power (tm) which needed the multiple successes to
balance what it did.

TRENDING THREADS