Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Pc powers down

Last response: in Systems
November 9, 2012 5:46:24 PM

Hello,
When starting my computer it powers down after the beep. the longer I try andthe power supply runs the farther I get into the startup. Finally it starts up Windows 7.
When on line when I swich functions it shuts down. Laely it shuts down every night over night.
I'm using a Biostar 870-U3 MB, AMD Phenom II X4 955 CPU, Crucial 2 GB DDR 3 1333 Ram- 4 sticks.
I had problems with the OS when starting and had to register it by phone. Could that be a problem?

More about : powers

a b B Homebuilt system
November 9, 2012 6:04:54 PM

by beep do you mean the beep right when the pc starts at posting?

by shutting down do you mean an instant power off condition or an actual shut down sequence (like a normal windows shutdown)?

by beep do you mean the beep right when the pc starts at posting?

by shutting down do you mean an instant power off condition or an actual shut down sequence (like a normal windows shutdown)?

m
l
November 10, 2012 1:03:40 PM

After the posting beep. Instant power off could occur at anytime. It seems the longer the power supply rune the better my chnces of booting up. I've tried 2 power supplies with the same result. When I'm on line and it powers off I loose all my settings on my ISP service.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
November 19, 2012 10:36:40 AM

do lights or other devices on the same circuit flicker or power off? could it be fluctuations on your power grid (ie, do the lights flicker in the house alot?) wind can shift a lose power connection outside and cause flickering which can brown out your power grid and shut the pc down.

if not,

are you using a power supply rated for your hardware? using an underrated power supply may cause such issues once the system draw is greater then what the power supply can handle. what watt psus? do a power calculation on your parts also (search the web for psu power calculator and complete the form).

the problem could also be something inside your pc shorting out. do you see any evidence of shorts or anything that would indicate a problem? are all parts seated and secure?

i've heard of this one before: does your mb contact the side of the case? ie, the mounting studs arent high enough?

a few more ideas... but in general i think you need to approach it with a trial and error eliminating one issue at a time to figure out what the root cause is. pc issues can be like that sometimes.
November 26, 2012 4:12:49 PM

ssddx said:
do lights or other devices on the same circuit flicker or power off? could it be fluctuations on your power grid (ie, do the lights flicker in the house alot?) wind can shift a lose power connection outside and cause flickering which can brown out your power grid and shut the pc down.

if not,

are you using a power supply rated for your hardware? using an underrated power supply may cause such issues once the system draw is greater then what the power supply can handle. what watt psus? do a power calculation on your parts also (search the web for psu power calculator and complete the form).

the problem could also be something inside your pc shorting out. do you see any evidence of shorts or anything that would indicate a problem? are all parts seated and secure?

i've heard of this one before: does your mb contact the side of the case? ie, the mounting studs arent high enough?

a few more ideas... but in general i think you need to approach it with a trial and error eliminating one issue at a time to figure out what the root cause is. pc issues can be like that sometimes.

My power supply os over 500 watts and according to the Newegg calculator all I need is 350 watts. I started getting bluescreens and other screens saying my hard drive is nt working correctly. I bought a new mother board but now I'm waiting for a newcase since my new board is a micr and my case is huge.
One thing I forgot to mention I hear a click like a circuit breaker or something as it shuts everything down. I've used 2 different power supplies and they both react the same.
I'm going to build a new system with the only old component being the CPU. Hopefully I'll get to do this at the end of the week.
Thanks for your help.

Dave
m
l
December 1, 2012 12:47:05 AM

ssddx said:

if not,

This is embarrassing, I was baseing everything on my power supply rating on the wattage calculator from Newegg. According to it I only needed 350-400 watts. I was using 535 and 500 watt power supply.
When I took out a dvd burner, a hard drive and 2 sticks of RAM my problem went away.
FYI, I had a Phenom II CPU (125 W), a Biostar A870U3 mother board, 4 sticks 2G DDR3 1333 RAM, 2 dvd burners, 2 7200RPM hard drives and a 4350 video card.
Thanks for you assistance. I learned I should check more than one source.
m
l
December 11, 2012 2:39:31 AM

Best answer selected by dwburris.
m
l
!