Old PC, GPU idle temp high - worth buying thermal grease?

amarante

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Hello,

I recently had to RMA my new PC' power supply and my only choice was to use my old PC for replacement.

The thing is that my old GPU's temperature, MSI NX7600GT, is rising steadily while idle. It stops at 60C and while playing a game, it goes up to 68C, so only a small increase. The thing is, this GPU only has passive cooling, so no fan at all.

When it was at 60C, I touched the heatsink and it was quite warm but not hot enough to make it unbearable for the skin. My question is, is it worth replacing the thermal grease on the GPU? Will it make a difference if the heatsink is absorbing heat?

I believe that the high idle temp is also increasing the temperatures of other components. CPU idles at 38-42C and HDD at 36-38C. Power supply sits at a happy 32C since it's so far from the GPU and recently cleaned it properly. I have a case fan at the back that's working at high speed if anyone is wondering.

amarante

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
I don't know how "shortly", it's been 4 days and they still haven't even taken a look at it because my PC is in queue.

I might buy a cheap thermal grease and see if that helps.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

Yes. If you can find or make the room for it, a $3 case fan near the graphic card would make all the difference. Do you have a side or back vent? If not could you make one?

amarante

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Hmmm, I guess I could install a fan on the side.

What I find weird is the high temperature in the first place. It's been a long time since I used it but I don't remember it having such high idle temperatures.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

Are you sure its actually that high? There is a good chance that the temp sensor is crap.

amarante

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011

I thought about that but the GPU heatsink is quite warm when idle. I'm gonna get the thermal grease and see if it changes anything.