4.4GHZ gaming system with 16GB ram - Please help me out

krishan755

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
Hey everyone!!

Im new to these forums, but i love this website - has so much useful info!

Well okay, so i dont play heavy games on my pc... tbh i play GTA San andreas more than anything...but i would like to watch 1080p movies...and maybe play COD-mw2 on good high settings if possible..

Okay so, i found a reasonably prices system:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221141117446?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Its £360 for a 4.4ghz processor + 16gb ram (unknown brand) + hd 6670 graphics card + 2tb (5200rpm :/) , case etc

Ive just researched how much it would cost me to make this system myself from scratch, came up to £300 (thats with a 2TB 7200rpm hard drive and the Corsair Vengeance 16GB ram)

MY question is, is this even a good computer build?

I know for a fact, i3/i7 would whoop my ass anyday, but i cannot afford them...

I dont play the latest games, but i would like to with this system... is it possible?

Please be honest and friendly... Im sorry if i seem like a 'noob'... I am good with computers but probably not so much compared to everyone on this forum :)

-Thanks for reading

(If you can suggest a good, reasonalby priced system for me.. please share it with me... such as good motherboards..cpu..ram..blabla, thanks)

well, you won't need 16gb of ram at all. 8gb is more than any game will need. Also if you built an i3 system you could end up with a much better graphics card. Lastly, the PSU in that prebuilt is of low quality and could prove unreliable. What is your budget for this system?

krishan755

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
My budget is £600 (i need a monitor too, which is going to set me back £150)... So my absolute limit for the PC is £450

Also, i dont only use the computer for gaming, im studying Maths at university so alot of the times i have heavy modelling / graph / equation based software running...

As well as music, web browsing... etc (i just wanted 16gb ram to be future-proof)

:)

Well 2 things
1) the 6670 is a fairly weak GPU and will not be able to max out games (pretty much at all) and 1080 on low-med might be what you would get
2) the PSU is probably complete junk, they call it a "standard" PSU which means that it probably comes with the case

krishan755

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
Thank you...

A quick question... why is the PSU really important? I mean essentially doesn't it just give the system the power?

Yes. cheap ones from poor brands will fail more frequently and take your entire system with it. You want to stick with brands like Antec, XFX, Corsair, Seasonic. I've seen too many computers get junked because of a poor quality PSU failing.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

The psu can essential be the most important piece of your system. A bad PSU when it goes out can very easily destroy other parts of your machine, MOBO, CPU, GPU could be ruined by a bad psu. It happens all the time. That's why anyone here is always going to recommend you go with a quality psu even if it means paying slightly more.

krishan755

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
Okay..Thanks for explaining it.

Okay so now im considering your plan...however what if i was to stick with this:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221141117446?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

But reduce the RAM to 8GB, change the 6670 card to a 7770 one... and buy a better PSU...

Would this make sense?

Its just that the system you suggested has duel core...this one was 4...although i guess its the old quality > quanity.

samuelohagan

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
Did you guys see the link that tiny voices put out?

that is a good computer build for £450 you should check it out.

also an i3 core is WAY more powerful then an fx core

Since an i3 has hyper threading it is as powerful as the fx but it uses less energy

krishan755

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
Thank you..

final question.. If instead of a i3 dual core processor... Suppose i wanted an i7 top range processor..

Could you show me a good computer build (forget the budget, this is just out of interest).

Thanks again for all your help

samuelohagan

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
I made a better version of tiny voices build

I changed the motherboard to a cheaper h61 board

Since it only supports sandy bridge I got an i5 2400, a quad core.

I changed the psu to an xfx unit

An xfx psu is made by seasonic which is the best brand for a psu.

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/n4P3

Also the i5 will perform as good for less money

This motherboard is complete crap. Also you want 1600 speed RAM not 1333. Also, you are $22 over budget.

samuelohagan

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
Sorry about £22 over budget, but in most builds you should be flexible about the money and be willing to spend slightly more for a better deal. About the motherboard, I am running a 7950 and an i3 on a cheap h61 motherboard, the point is though, why would you need to spend more on features you will, never use? Same with the memory, the difference between 1333 and 1600 is so minimal that it is more practical to spend the extra money elsewhere. However I do agree with you that 1600 mhz ram is better, but can't you achieve this by overclocking? Since I cheaped out on the motherboard and ram I managed to spend the extra money on getting an i5.

But we are missing the point here, the OP wanted to know what was a good computer without any budget out of interest. Instead I am simply showing him that it is possible to cram an i5 into a budget like this by skimping on parts like the motherboard, ram etc