Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

PC Shuts down during gaming-Overheating CPU and GPU inspite of good ps

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 13, 2012 6:22:48 PM

Hello everyone,
As per the advice of this community today i purchased a new ati 6670 1gb ddr5 gfx card.
But during gaming my pc shuts down automatically after 15 mins or less. :( 
After careful monitoring of my CPU and GPU temps I found out that my CPU gets overheated upto 100 C. :fou: 
while gpu remains at 68C at 100%load

Earlier i had 9400gt and never underwent such a problem.
My specs are
PSU- 500W amigo
CPU -amd phenom x2
gpu- ati 6670 1gb ddr5
ram- 2X2gb ddr2

Should i go for a higher PSU?
Please solve my problem . I have a lot of trust in this forum and hope that you will help me solve this issue. :bounce: 
a b U Graphics card
September 13, 2012 6:36:51 PM

Check your fan for the CPU, maybe it is covered in dust or possible that the thermal paste is not doing a good job. Check that first and after that I would get a different PSU.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 13, 2012 6:40:06 PM

Do you have the stock cooler on the CPU? If so, did you remove it while changing out your GPU?

That looks like one of those sketchy no name PSU's, I am not an expert on the electrical specifications of a PSU but most on here will blame a lot of those issues on a bad power supply. I guess it does not necessarily make sense to me that a bad PSU would raise temps, but electronics are pretty complicated and I know how convoluted it can be.
Score
0
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 13, 2012 7:00:00 PM

If you've removed the HSF off the CPU, you will need to clean and reapply fresh thermal paste. I'd check to make sure the fan on the HSF is spinning and it's not choked with dust.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 13, 2012 7:02:08 PM

dgreatnee said:
Hello everyone,
As per the advice of this community today i purchased a new ati 6670 1gb ddr5 gfx card.
But during gaming my pc shuts down automatically after 15 mins or less. :( 
After careful monitoring of my CPU and GPU temps I found out that my CPU gets overheated upto 100 C. :fou: 
while gpu remains at 68C at 100%load

Earlier i had 9400gt and never underwent such a problem.
My specs are
PSU- 500W amigo
CPU -amd phenom x2
gpu- ati 6670 1gb ddr5
ram- 2X2gb ddr2

Should i go for a higher PSU?
Please solve my problem . I have a lot of trust in this forum and hope that you will help me solve this issue. :bounce: 


I have never heard of that brand of PSU. Now the 6670 is going to draw and require more of a PSU than your 9400gt. Possibly thats an issue. But yes, do check the heatsink fan for dust and reapply paste if needed, only a small pea size is needed.

Usually the GPU would give you issues if your PSU was underpowered but other components can suffer as well.
Score
0
September 14, 2012 5:36:06 AM

@
Score
0
September 14, 2012 5:36:21 AM

Sorry but i don't how this msg got posted thrice....:( 
Score
0
September 14, 2012 5:36:32 AM

@all

Thanks for your replies.
My cpu fan is clean and no dust is there...though the thermal paste layer is now almost gone. My gpu power req are 400W and my psu is is amigo 500w(http://www.sethiainfotech.com/computer-hardware/power-s...)
Does my processor (amd phenom x2 be http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/pii5...) supports windows 7 64bit i.e. can we use a core 2 duo processer on windows 7 64 bit??
I think that 64bit window might be over utilizing the processer causing it to overheat??
Also is cooler master the best power supply to go for???
Score
0

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2012 10:51:43 AM

dgreatnee said:
@all

Thanks for your replies.
My cpu fan is clean and no dust is there...though the thermal paste layer is now almost gone. My gpu power req are 400W and my psu is is amigo 500w(http://www.sethiainfotech.com/computer-hardware/power-s...)
Does my processor (amd phenom x2 be http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/pii5...) supports windows 7 64bit i.e. can we use a core 2 duo processer on windows 7 64 bit??
I think that 64bit window might be over utilizing the processer causing it to overheat??
Also is cooler master the best power supply to go for???


You can't remove the HSF without cleaning off the old thermal compound and adding new. If you tried to reinstall the HSF without cleaning and re-applying, that will give you your high temps you are seeing. The fact that you know it's thin (it's supposed to be thin, by the way) shows you removed it. If the paste is too think, it acts as an insulator and blocks the heat coming off the CPU. All the thermal paste is supposed to do is fill in the dead air spaces between the CPU and HSF since no surface is perfectly smooth. Every processor that's been made the last 10 years by AMD and Intel is x64 compatible.
Share
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2012 11:55:02 AM

Get some thermal paste. Clean the old paste off the cpu using some cotton swabs, soft cloth and maybe some rubbing alcohol. Then apply a small-medium size dot of the paste and using your finger wrapped in some syran wrap, spread it evenly across the cpu.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2012 12:08:55 PM

selayan said:
Get some thermal paste. Clean the old paste off the cpu using some cotton swabs, soft cloth and maybe some rubbing alcohol. Then apply a small-medium size dot of the paste and using your finger wrapped in some syran wrap, spread it evenly across the cpu.

Or you can follow the directions at AMD's and intel's websites on how to apply thermal paste
Score
0
September 21, 2012 5:36:26 AM

Thanks to all for replies..
Thermal paste did the trick for me...CPU temp has gone down dramatically from 98 C to 48 C.. :p 
This forum rulz... :D 
Score
0
September 21, 2012 10:35:14 AM

Best answer selected by dgreatnee.
Score
0
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
September 26, 2012 9:10:50 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!