Hard Drive Only Recognizes 32Gigbytes

G

I recently purchased a Segate 40GB harddisk to put into a Pentium2 300Mhz machine with and LX chipset. However after installing the drive the system only recognizes it when I set the jumpers as 'limit drive to 32 Gigabytes' mode. Sure enough fdisk only sees the disk as 32GB and not the full 40. Does anyone know if this is a limit of the LX chipset or some other problem?

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
It's probably just that the motherboard BIOS has a limitation of 32GB or smaller. To get pass that limitation you would need a BIOS that supports that or add an ATA100/133 adapter card that will support the drive from the card instead of from the motherboard.

<font color=red>1GHz AMD x MSI K7T-Turbo x 512MB PC133 x 2-Maxtor 30GB/RAID 0 = Stream Line Butterfly</font color=red>

AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Actually all u need is a dynamic drive overlay. All it does is bypass the limitations of the bios and allow you to use the full 40g. It is also free to download from seagates website

Blame the newbies not the technology

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah, actually that is all you need if you want to use a piece of software to overcome a hardware limitation.

I would actually use the controller option if you can foot the extra cash for an adapter card. It's got future upgradablity and I feel will be more reliable. I have seen too many problems with the use of the overlays.

<font color=red>1GHz AMD x MSI K7T-Turbo x 512MB PC133 x 2-Maxtor 30GB/RAID 0 = Stream Line Butterfly</font color=red>

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I haven't seen any different design in the newer one's then the older one's from Storage Soft. Those overlay's are used by Maxtor and Western Digital both. Your still altering the MBR.

I would have to say, use it! It's a free way to get pass the problem, and it's available. If you want future upgradability and better reliability then go for the adapter card.

G

flash your BIOS(upgrade the driver for BIOS) will solve the problem.