Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on my Gaming HTPC build

Last response: in Systems
November 9, 2012 9:21:03 PM

Hi guys, i'm looking to build the following but need a little advice. I am able to get the parts very cheap as i work in the industry but really need to know what you guys think and if you could also give a little advice if i have put a wrong config together.

Approximate Purchase Date: Before Christmas

Budget Range: £900 after shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Surfing the Net, watching movies

Are you buying a monitor: No, its going to be hooked up to my TV

Parts to Upgrade: Its a brand new build

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Various Distributor sites

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: At the moment a 22" LG Flat screen, then a bigger TV

Additional Comments: Needs to be quiet while watching movies but doesn't really matter while gaming

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I'm currently using a Pavilion DV7 laptop that is starting to grind so i thought ill build a PC that even my wife can enjoy. Also i am able to get the components extremely cheap so this would be within my budget.

I'm thinking the PSU isn't powerful enough but from looking at the Corsair website and their power supply calculator an 800w should be ok.

Case: Novatech Opera Media Center Case

Case Fans (As the case doesn't come with them): 3 x Arctic Cooling F8 PWM Case Fan with Standard Case

Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS V GENE

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K - 3.5 GHz - 4 cores - 8 threads - 8 MB cache - LGA1155 Socket - Box

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Performance Memory Module 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz

Hard Drive 1 (For the O/S): Crucial v4 128GB, SATA 3Gb/s 2.5-inch (9.5mm) SSD

Hard Drive 2: Western Digital, Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" Internal Hard drive, SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3) 64MB Cache

Optical Drive 1: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS 12x Blu-Ray Combo, Internal, Black

Optical Drive 2: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/B 12x Blu-Ray Writer, Internal, Black

Graphics Card: ASUS GTX660

Power Supply: Corsair 800 Watt GS Gaming Series High Performance 80+ Bronze ATX

Thanks in advance for your help!!
November 9, 2012 9:43:40 PM

Drop to a 3570K and put the extra money into the GPU, which is currently pretty lame for gaming.
You'll be fine on a good 650W PSU, even if you go to a 670 and add another later.
That's a weird case. It looks like it comes with a PSU included, which is fishy at such a low price. It looks to me like it won't be good quality. If you've got a place to put it, get yourself a nice mid-tower case, ATX or Micro-ATX. The Fractal R3 and R4 are quiet and elegant, but look around Newegg (even if you're buying on Nova; the interface is better) and see what catches your eye. (http://www.newegg.com/Computer-Cases/SubCategory/ID-7) Obviously, you won't need case fans if you get a decent case.
Is there any particular reason you need two BDRs? The money would be better spent on a 670, along with the difference between the 3570K and the 3770K.
November 9, 2012 9:59:46 PM

kajabla said:
Drop to a 3570K and put the extra money into the GPU, which is currently pretty lame for gaming.
You'll be fine on a good 650W PSU, even if you go to a 670 and add another later.
That's a weird case. It looks like it comes with a PSU included, which is fishy at such a low price. It looks to me like it won't be good quality. If you've got a place to put it, get yourself a nice mid-tower case, ATX or Micro-ATX. The Fractal R3 and R4 are quiet and elegant, but look around Newegg (even if you're buying on Nova; the interface is better) and see what catches your eye. (http://www.newegg.com/Computer-Cases/SubCategory/ID-7) Obviously, you won't need case fans if you get a decent case.
Is there any particular reason you need two BDRs? The money would be better spent on a 670, along with the difference between the 3570K and the 3770K.

Thanks for the reply. According to the reviews the case is pretty solid but the PSU is not. Everywhere Ive read about it say to rip out the PSU and replace it.

Also i would prefer a Media Centre case due to space constraints at home.

Thanks for the advice on the CPU, by swapping this to the one you have suggested im saving £100!!, definately gonna go for the GTX670 now.
Related resources
November 9, 2012 10:03:47 PM

Also for SSD, the Samsung 830 is probably best mix of performance, reliabilty, value. OCZ Vertex4 also very good. I second the above comments about case. Mid tower ATX much better for a gaming build. Your not putting that much in, so doesn't need to be a monster. As above, the R4 is nice, or even something like Corsair Carbide 300R. The new 200R is slightly different shape, and also seems pretty good.
November 9, 2012 10:05:39 PM

kajabla said:
the GPU, which is currently pretty lame for gaming.

I agree with Kajabla except for the 660 being "pretty lame for gaming". Pricing-wise I dunno but performance-wise it wipes the floor with the 560 ti: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-gef...

Of course a 670 is significantly better and since you are gaming, get it.

But the case is strange - it's massive for an HTPC and is more like a traditional desktop-oriented ATX case rather than a tower. It doesn't really save any space. Are you copying a lot of discs? Why have 2 optical bays?

Also - will that case support a decent-sized CPU cooler to cool your overclockable CPU? If you can fit a good cooler in there, and want to OC then get a 3570k. The 3770k is not necessary for your needs. If you aren't OCing (or underclocking/undervolting) then you don't need a k-series chip.

Also if you get the 670 you only need a 500-watt PSU (unless you want upgrade room). The one that comes with that case is total junk, but the 800w you selected is overkill unless you plan on SLIing... but again, that case is not ideal. Get a quality 500w or 600w PSU and you'll be fine with a 670.

I would really change the case. Have you considered mini-ITX? You can put together a pretty cute but powerful system with a Bitfenix Prodigy or many other mini-ITX cases. This will take up far less volume than that beast.
November 9, 2012 10:17:19 PM

on the mini-itx you can get very nice tiny silverstone case. they can be a bit pricey & and come with a power supply upto 600w.
November 10, 2012 12:13:39 AM

larkspur said:
I agree with Kajabla except for the 660 being "pretty lame for gaming". Pricing-wise I dunno but performance-wise it wipes the floor with the 560 ti: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-gef...

Oops. I was imagining the 650, I think. Well, the OP can afford the 670 anyway.
!