Is it worth upgrading my GTX460 SLI?

bac0n

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
So I have not done anything to my computer for awhile. I get itchy when I don't change anything for awhile. I am currently running 2 x GTX 460 1gb in SLI.

I play games like SC2, WoW and a few others. Everything I currently play maxes out settings at 1920x1080 in my setup.

I am likely going to get Mists o P when it comes out and am thinking about trying Borderlands 2 and Guild Wars 2 plus also Heart of the Swarm for sure whenever Bliz actually releases it.

I was looking at the GTX670, there are a few deals now where you can get it between $360-390. Can anyone help me justify doing this? Is anything I am looking to play soon not going to be able to max out with my current cards? I am not even 100% sure this will future proof my because I assume we will see GK110 cards around the Haswell lauch time (complete guess).

I am not going to do a complete new system until Haswell but outside of the GFX I can not think of anything to change in my current rig.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Tim

stant1rm

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
I really don't see the GTX 670 as a huge upgrade, unless you're having problems with Microstuttering, or heat/noise of SLI is getting to you. Or if you want to get another GTX 670 later on for SLI (Scaling on the GTX 670 is phenomenal).

The GTX 670 will outperform the GTX 460's in SLI, (Scaling was never really great on the GTX 4xx series) and also sip power in comparison. Also, it has 2GB of VRAM which is nice bonus even at 1080P for enabling lots of AA / Hi Res Textures.