Correspondence 5 Q

In the Mage Rev main book under what general effects are possible with
Correspondence 5 in conjunction with other Spheres, it mentions "...to
cause an object's spatial warping to also reflect in its physical
characteristics..."

Could someone please submit a specific example of what is being
described? I'm having trouble with the concept as written.

mdf

--
remove 'no junk' to reply

In article <mdfno-256DB7.02020313072004@news-central.dca.giganews.com>,
mdf <mdfno@junkmbay.net> wrote:

> Could someone please submit a specific example of what is being
> described? I'm having trouble with the concept as written.

The first thing that springs to my mind is the Upeo Wa Macho's Warping
power from Trinity, where the psion can twist and fold space itself,
effectively contorting an object into a knot, but the object itself is
never actually changed, just the space in which it exists.

So maybe this effect is like that, but it physically affects the object?

--
Tyler

u d e t o d r y s t a n o i d f t

mdf wrote:

> In the Mage Rev main book under what general effects are possible with
> Correspondence 5 in conjunction with other Spheres, it mentions "...to
> cause an object's spatial warping to also reflect in its physical
> characteristics..."
>
> Could someone please submit a specific example of what is being
> described? I'm having trouble with the concept as written.

You could use that to make a TARDIS!

In article <vtqdnfujSblpW27dRVn-vA@telcove.net>,
Tyler Dion <tfdion@spammenot.com> wrote:

> In article <mdfno-256DB7.02020313072004@news-central.dca.giganews.com>,
> mdf <mdfno@junkmbay.net> wrote:
>
> > Could someone please submit a specific example of what is being
> > described? I'm having trouble with the concept as written.
>
> The first thing that springs to my mind is the Upeo Wa Macho's Warping
> power from Trinity, where the psion can twist and fold space itself,
> effectively contorting an object into a knot, but the object itself is
> never actually changed, just the space in which it exists.
>
> So maybe this effect is like that, but it physically affects the object?

So, you are suggesting that while Matter 3 could change a crystal ball
into a cube, adding Correspondence 5 could make it into a tesseract?

mdf

--
remove 'no junk' to reply

mdf wrote:

> In article <vtqdnfujSblpW27dRVn-vA@telcove.net>,
> Tyler Dion <tfdion@spammenot.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <mdfno-256DB7.02020313072004@news-central.dca.giganews.com>,
> > mdf <mdfno@junkmbay.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Could someone please submit a specific example of what is being
> > > described? I'm having trouble with the concept as written.
> >
> > The first thing that springs to my mind is the Upeo Wa Macho's Warping
> > power from Trinity, where the psion can twist and fold space itself,
> > effectively contorting an object into a knot, but the object itself is
> > never actually changed, just the space in which it exists.
> >
> > So maybe this effect is like that, but it physically affects the object?
>
> So, you are suggesting that while Matter 3 could change a crystal ball
> into a cube, adding Correspondence 5 could make it into a tesseract?

Yes, among other things.

In article <mdfno-66B40F.09462413072004@news-central.dca.giganews.com>,
mdf <mdfno@junkmbay.net> wrote:

> So, you are suggesting that while Matter 3 could change a crystal ball
> into a cube, adding Correspondence 5 could make it into a tesseract?

Even after all my years on Earth, I remain unclear on just what a
tesseract really is.

--
Tyler

u d e t o d r y s t a n o i d f t

Tyler Dion wrote:

> Even after all my years on Earth, I remain unclear on just what a
> tesseract really is.

Okay, first there's a point. It exists in no spatial dimensions.

Then there's a line. It exists in one.

Then there's a square. It exists in two spatial dimensions.

Then there's a cube. A cube exists in three spatial dimensions.

A tesseract exists in four. It's one spatial dimension up from a cube.

A Wrinkle In Time used the word wrong. In that book, it's used to mean
a space-fold. That's not what it means.
--
Stephenls
Geek

In article <2lj6b5Fddho9U1@uni-berlin.de>, Stephenls
<stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote:

> A tesseract exists in four. It's one spatial dimension up from a cube.

Oh, it's one of those undrawable things, then. Unlike a Frinkahedron.

> A Wrinkle In Time used the word wrong. In that book, it's used to mean
> a space-fold. That's not what it means.

Yes, that trilogy sums up my sole encounter with the word, both as noun
and verb.

--
Tyler

u d e t o d r y s t a n o i d f t

Tyler Dion wrote:

> Oh, it's one of those undrawable things, then. Unlike a Frinkahedron.

Actually, I can draw a tesseract. Well, a two-dimensional
representation of what a four-dimensional shape would look like in three
dimensions, but still a tesseract. It's pretty simple. It looks like a
cube, with another smaller cube inside it, and lines connecting the
corners that are closest to each other.

Alternately they can look like this:

http://www.maa.org/editorial/knot/tesseract.html

> Yes, that trilogy sums up my sole encounter with the word, both as noun
> and verb.

She should have just used "wormhole" and been done with it.
--
Stephenls
Geek
"I'm as impure as the driven yellow snow." -Spike

william

Tyler Dion wrote:
> In article <2lj6b5Fddho9U1@uni-berlin.de>, Stephenls
> <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote:
>

>>A tesseract exists in four. It's one spatial dimension up from a cube.
>

> Oh, it's one of those undrawable things, then. Unlike a Frinkahedron.

Not at all. Just picture a "cube". What you are picturing is, in fact, a
tesseract, for it exists in 4 dimensions (width, length, height,
duration). The human mind, in fact, is only capable of imaging in 3 or
four dimensions (try it. The only dimension that is optional is depth.
All things visualized by humans have height, length, and duration).

William

In article <2ljbflFddqfhU1@uni-berlin.de>, Stephenls
<stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Alternately they can look like this:
> http://www.maa.org/editorial/knot/tesseract.html

Oh wow! That makes it much clearer.

Reminds me of "The Time Ships" by Stephen Baxter, where they postulate
time travel occurs by shifting the axes around, so that Duration becomes
Length, say, allowing willful movement along it.

> She should have just used "wormhole" and been done with it.

Maybe "wormhole" wasn't otherworldly enough a word for the three Mrses?

--
Tyler

u d e t o d r y s t a n o i d f t

Tyler Dion wrote:

> Maybe "wormhole" wasn't otherworldly enough a word for the three Mrses?

Better than willful and confusing innacuracy.
--

In the borning days of the third millennium, Tyler Dion wrote:
>In article <2ljbflFddqfhU1@uni-berlin.de>, Stephenls
><stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> Alternately they can look like this:
>> http://www.maa.org/editorial/knot/tesseract.html
>
>Oh wow! That makes it much clearer.
>
>Reminds me of "The Time Ships" by Stephen Baxter, where they postulate
>time travel occurs by shifting the axes around, so that Duration becomes
>Length, say, allowing willful movement along it.

According to some theories, this is kind of what happens when you pass the
event horizon of a black hole. Your time dimension and the spatial dimension
aligned with the center of the black hole get swapped, so you are no more able
to avoid the center of the black hole than you are able to avoid next
Thursday. Of course, at that point you have been torn into your constituent
subatomic particles, so the issue of mobility has lost some importance.

--
Brian Merchant (remove 'remove' and 'example' from email)

Puritanism didn't keep the puritans from sinning, it just kept
them from enjoying it.
--Father Joe Breighner
Country Roads

William wrote:

> Not at all. Just picture a "cube". What you are picturing is, in fact, a
> tesseract, for it exists in 4 dimensions (width, length, height,
> duration). The human mind, in fact, is only capable of imaging in 3 or
> four dimensions (try it. The only dimension that is optional is depth.
> All things visualized by humans have height, length, and duration).

That's one interpretation. Mathematically a tesseract can also be four
physical dimensions. It's all a matter of what label you apply to the
fourth axis. The important point is that it has the same length along
each of four axes.

Tyler Dion <tfdion@spammenot.com> wrote in message news:<vtqdnfujSblpW27dRVn-vA@telcove.net>...
> In article <mdfno-256DB7.02020313072004@news-central.dca.giganews.com>,
> mdf <mdfno@junkmbay.net> wrote:
>
> > Could someone please submit a specific example of what is being
> > described? I'm having trouble with the concept as written.
>
> The first thing that springs to my mind is the Upeo Wa Macho's Warping
> power from Trinity, where the psion can twist and fold space itself,
> effectively contorting an object into a knot, but the object itself is
> never actually changed, just the space in which it exists.
>
> So maybe this effect is like that, but it physically affects the object?

This is correct.For example, you could turn a person inside out
without doing them any harm. They would be effectively blind, because
to them, all space has warped into a sphere inside their abdomen.

Also, you might be able to re/colocate specific properties of a
Pattern, like its heat, mass, or colour.

M.

In article <c772e1f6.0407142151.7d7342ff@posting.google.com>,
usiel@vampirethemasquerade.com (Malcolm Sheppard) wrote:

> Tyler Dion <tfdion@spammenot.com> wrote in message
> > In article <mdfno-256DB7.02020313072004@news-central.dca.giganews.com>,
> > mdf <mdfno@junkmbay.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Could someone please submit a specific example of what is being
> > > described? I'm having trouble with the concept as written.
> >
> > The first thing that springs to my mind is the Upeo Wa Macho's Warping
> > power from Trinity, where the psion can twist and fold space itself,
> > effectively contorting an object into a knot, but the object itself is
> > never actually changed, just the space in which it exists.
> >
> > So maybe this effect is like that, but it physically affects the object?
>
> This is correct.For example, you could turn a person inside out
> without doing them any harm. They would be effectively blind, because
> to them, all space has warped into a sphere inside their abdomen.
>
> Also, you might be able to re/colocate specific properties of a
> Pattern, like its heat, mass, or colour.
>
> M.

Thank you. This helps considerably.

mdf

--
remove 'no junk' to reply

Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<2lj6b5Fddho9U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Tyler Dion wrote:
>
> > Even after all my years on Earth, I remain unclear on just what a
> > tesseract really is.
>
> Okay, first there's a point. It exists in no spatial dimensions.
>
> Then there's a line. It exists in one.
>
> Then there's a square. It exists in two spatial dimensions.
>
> Then there's a cube. A cube exists in three spatial dimensions.
>
> A tesseract exists in four. It's one spatial dimension up from a cube.
>
> A Wrinkle In Time used the word wrong. In that book, it's used to mean
> a space-fold. That's not what it means.

OK, so when it shows up in SF stories, what is the principal,
practical use of a Tesseract? I always got the impression that it was
something like the "Dimensional Transcendentalism" of Doctor Who that
allowed the TARDIS to be bigger on the inside than the outside...Is
the TARDIS a tesseract?

Dex

usiel@vampirethemasquerade.com (Malcolm Sheppard) wrote in message news:<c772e1f6.0407142151.7d7342ff@posting.google.com>...
> Tyler Dion <tfdion@spammenot.com> wrote in message news:<vtqdnfujSblpW27dRVn-vA@telcove.net>...
> > In article <mdfno-256DB7.02020313072004@news-central.dca.giganews.com>,
> > mdf <mdfno@junkmbay.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Could someone please submit a specific example of what is being
> > > described? I'm having trouble with the concept as written.
> >
> > The first thing that springs to my mind is the Upeo Wa Macho's Warping
> > power from Trinity, where the psion can twist and fold space itself,
> > effectively contorting an object into a knot, but the object itself is
> > never actually changed, just the space in which it exists.
> >
> > So maybe this effect is like that, but it physically affects the object?
>
> This is correct.For example, you could turn a person inside out
> without doing them any harm. They would be effectively blind, because
> to them, all space has warped into a sphere inside their abdomen.

Personally, ever since reading the description of that effect, it's
been my pet theory that this is how Reed Richards and other comic book
"stretchers" powers work: subconscious manipulation of personal space.
Except you'd think Reed would have figured it out by now...^^

Dex

smilinglord@hotmail.com (Hand-of-Omega) wrote in message news:<27420f11.0407161020.62c5dff@posting.google.com>...
> usiel@vampirethemasquerade.com (Malcolm Sheppard) wrote in message news:<c772e1f6.0407142151.7d7342ff@posting.google.com>...
> > Tyler Dion <tfdion@spammenot.com> wrote in message news:<vtqdnfujSblpW27dRVn-vA@telcove.net>...

> > > The first thing that springs to my mind is the Upeo Wa Macho's Warping
> > > power from Trinity, where the psion can twist and fold space itself,
> > > effectively contorting an object into a knot, but the object itself is
> > > never actually changed, just the space in which it exists.
> > >
> > > So maybe this effect is like that, but it physically affects the object?
> >
> > This is correct.For example, you could turn a person inside out
> > without doing them any harm. They would be effectively blind, because
> > to them, all space has warped into a sphere inside their abdomen.
> >
> Personally, ever since reading the description of that effect, it's
> been my pet theory that this is how Reed Richards and other comic book
> "stretchers" powers work: subconscious manipulation of personal space.
> Except you'd think Reed would have figured it out by now...^^
>
> Dex

That's a pretty neat idea. You may as well just steal it for your own guy.

M.

Tyler Dion wrote:

> In article <2lj6b5Fddho9U1@uni-berlin.de>, Stephenls
> <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> > A tesseract exists in four. It's one spatial dimension up from a cube.
>
> Oh, it's one of those undrawable things, then. Unlike a Frinkahedron.
>
> > A Wrinkle In Time used the word wrong. In that book, it's used to mean
> > a space-fold. That's not what it means.
>
> Yes, that trilogy sums up my sole encounter with the word, both as noun
> and verb.

Tyler, I'm sure you must have read Cornel's "Love & War", where the Doctor uses
one.

--
Jon
-----

In article <40F81DCF.1E180E7E@spin.net.au>, lord zog
<evil_lord_zog@spin.net.au> wrote:

> Tyler, I'm sure you must have read Cornel's "Love & War", where the
> Doctor uses one.

Oh, I have done; multiple times, in fact. That I retained almost none of
the novel speaks volumes about my sublimated disinterest in the novel.

--
Tyler

u d e t o d r y s t a n o i d f t