Make exact backup copies of dvds

Status
Not open for further replies.

specter51095

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
So I bought P90X and all of my friends also wanted to use it so i loan them some of the disks.
Problem is I never have all the disks on me so if I want to do a workout that I don't have on me I'm pretty SOL.
Even bigger problem is with all the loaning out the disks are getting scratched pretty quickly and I'm worried they will become unreadable here soon.

Could anyone write or link a tutorial showing how to create backup copies of the disks as I can't find one for the life of me.
I don't care if it doesn't have any menus or whatnot as long as the video is there I'm happy.
I know I could just rip them to my computer but until HDD prices go down to close to what they used to be im stuck with my 120gb SSD and I really don't want to load up the little space I have so I would prefer to copy them to blank DVD-Rs.

Solution

its not illegal... technically - you can take a backup.... and then lend your original copy out. If you ever use your backup while the original is at your friends... you break the law. And your OP suggets you want to do this... "Problem is I never have all the disks on me so if I want to do a workout that I don't have on me I'm pretty SOL".. having a backup will not help you here.

What you have spectaculaly failed to appreciate.. is you have no credability... so I wont help... ibboard wont help... and I hope others wont either.
You are not even prepared to...

ibboard

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Step one: Get a kitchen plate.
Step two: Get a magnifying glass.
Step three: Get Sharpie or similar marker pen.
Step four: Examine DVDs and try to repeat the patterns by hand.
Step five: Find the marker-pen-and-plate method isn't working, so tell your friends to buy their own copy because you're not going to make illegal copies by lending them one and having your copy at the same time.

specter51095

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
I have tried many programs that claim to be able to do it yet none worked for me. they would usually come across some error 30-50% into it.
I think the problem is they are all freeware I couldn't find any sharewares to demo and being freeware they probably don't have the best support and may not support the codec these dvds are made with or something along those lines. I found a ton of programs that I could buy and many that I don't doubt would work flawlessly problem is I don't want to spend 30-60$ to do this.

specter51095

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011

i didnt know that " lending them one and having your copy at the same time" was illegal if you could find me something that proves that i will gladly take this post down.

its not illegal... technically - you can take a backup.... and then lend your original copy out. If you ever use your backup while the original is at your friends... you break the law. And your OP suggets you want to do this... "Problem is I never have all the disks on me so if I want to do a workout that I don't have on me I'm pretty SOL".. having a backup will not help you here.

What you have spectaculaly failed to appreciate.. is you have no credability... so I wont help... ibboard wont help... and I hope others wont either.
You are not even prepared to pay for anything that will do it...

You really are hopeless.

Cheers

Solution

specter51095

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011

You have a point here.
That would be illegal.
That was my intent at first and I didn't know it was illegal.

Thread closed

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008

You know, if you are going to be a cheapskate you might as well go all the way.

Seriously, what is this 2000? There are literally 1000's of software products (free and otherwise) that will do this for you.

My suggestion is to tell your friends to buy their own copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.