Gaming rig for $651

spunks

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
CPU:Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)

CPU Cooler:Stock

Motherboard:ASRock Z77 Pro3 1155 ATX Intel Motherboard ($55 Bundle Deal @Microcenter ($40 off motherboard if purchased together)

Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu Red Series 8GB DDR3 1600 ($30 @Newegg)

Storage: Intel 330 180GB SSD ($92 after $30 rebate @Tigerdirect)

Video Card:Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 Video Card ($200 @Tigerdirect (got it when it was on sale))

Case:Rosewill REDBONE ATX Mid Tower Case ($32 @Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($50 (friend got shipped 2 on accident and sold the extra to me for $50)

Optical Drive:Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)

Wireless: Encore 5db PCI-e ($13 @Newegg)

Memory Card Reader: Bytecc 52 in 1 ($7 @Newegg)

Total = $651 (probably have to add in a few bucks for tax and $20 bucks for gas to microcenter and back)

Already bought everything except stuff from microcenter. Was considering a fancier motherboard, but none have any features that will be used (unless I spend a LOT more then I get better power regulators around the CPU). Gotta say I regret the case purchase. I've never seen such flimsy steel. Any Thoughts?

-if the kingston ram you got is 1.65v, you void your intel warranty on the spot. anything over 1.5v is "illegal" in a intel system
-pretty decent deal for the intel
-WHOOT????? hacks. i call hacks on the power supply.
-any card reader under 40 bucks is usually crap from what i hear
-should have gotten a arc midi from fractal but yeah. too late now

id generally spring for the extreme4 since the 750w will allow you to crossfire and crossfire on a pro board is not as good as it is on a extreme4.

spunks

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Good spot on the ram. Darn, can I put it with an old orginal I7? My friend tried to sell me that power supply for months. Finaly had a need for it and I bought it. OH Wait, I have an Athlon II system somewhere in the garage I can stick the memory in.... but why bother? oh well, I sure I can get rid of it for what I paid eventually. Whats a decent buy for ram for this? Oh, and all I needed was an SD card reader for a digital camera and figured all the crappy laptops with them must be the cheapest memory card readers on the planet then went on to say screw it its only 7 bucks. Will never run dual cards in this (its for a 16yr old girl who loves zombie killing games) as it will only ever push a single 1080p monitor at 60hz.

spunks

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Oh, I was planning a mild overclock for this (maybe 3.8ghz-4.0ghz). Should I get a better motherboard that has more phases in the CPU power regulation? I dont plan on touching voltages and if it gets to warm for the factory cooler, I'm just going to back it off. Haven't overclocked one of these yet but I guess I just change the multiplier. I figure 3.8ghz is where it selfs overclocks (until it reaches some predetermined thermal limit) so would forcing it there all the time stress the cpu much?

spunks

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008

The power supply was a lucky buy. I figured spending $50 on a different one would be pointless. I thought the CPU @ stock ran @ 3.4 GHz and turbo'd up to 3.8ghz if only 2 cores were being used. I'm probably wrong cause I really haven't been reading much on CPUs. I would like all cores running at the 3.8ghz level, and have been considering overclocking to 3.7ghz and leaving turbo on (which I think will bump the max to 3.9ghz) . Just looking for a 10% to 15% gain. If I can't do it on the stock cooler then it goes back to stock speeds. No point in buying a cheaper I5 either cause I lose the bundle deal if I do.

nah. i5 3570k runs at 3.5ghz. most manufacturers have turbo core enhancement that makes all cores turbo to 3.9ghz

to get a 10% gain, 4.5ghz is what you need.

seriously, getting a good cooler like a hyper 212 evo will really destroy the stock fan. the i5 3570k is like useless or pointless without one

spunks

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Okay, thanks for the oc advice. Probably won't do much more than making sure turbo is on then. This is a very strict budget and I dont think asking for $25 for a cooler will go very far. (the girl's parents are paying for it and I had to convince them spending $12 more dollars to go from a 128gb SSD to a 180gb SSD was a good idea.). I'm just having fun seeing how much performance I can get out of such a limited budget.